Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

beta tester reporting in

Hopefully there will be few nights where the GrizBeak is needed. Sho-me is carrying a MLD Cuben and I'll carry an OES Deluxe...though intended for the Deluxe we'll see how it does on the MLD one night....

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    The "on tarp" tab can be secured (although I'm not convinced this is necessary) with a bit of shock cord that extends from it along the spine of the tarp and connects to the D ring on the tarp ridge at the other end of the hammock.
    Grizz, it occurs to me that the spinal shock cord indeed isn't necessary, and you could probably also dispense with tying the beak to the ridge tie line.

Here's what I'm thinking: join the beak and tarp corners, where you use the mini biners, with custom tensioners (shock cord, Scunci hair bands, a ring cut from bike inner tube?) to maintain the straight edge of the beak under tension, which would probably require truncating those beak corners a bit. The physics of that arrangement would hold the straight edge tight against the tarp because there will be a single position for the beak edge on the tarp's spine that minimizes the stretch in these corner tensioners. Then, depending on beak sizing and where / how tightly you secure the ground connection (using tensioners), you shouldn't need to secure the outside top of the beak to the tarp ridge tie line. The inner (straight) edge of the beak would probably move a bit toward the outside, but the beak as a whole will automatically position itself so as to minimize the total energy stored in the tensioners. ...I think.

It wouldn't quite work for a rectangular tarp end, but with any sort of hex cut on the tarp ends I think it would. I'm gonna try this with my pseudo cat experiment.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    HH Exped, Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    JRB The Nest
    Suspension
    mish mash
    I need to get me one of them there sewing machines. It's amazing what you can produce on your own with an idea and a sewing machine.
    Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
    Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober.
    Winston Churchill

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    Grizz, it occurs to me that the spinal shock cord indeed isn't necessary, and you could probably also dispense with tying the beak to the ridge tie line.
    I suspect you're right. When I've hung the poncho over the end it has stayed put (I think) solely due to the tensioning on the bottom corners.

I'd be more concerned about fixing the position on the top if the beak was a lot narrower up there, making the "seal" on the tarp more position sensitive.

Hey, we're in hurricane season now....you can get some Real Good testing in!

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I suspect you're right. When I've hung the poncho over the end it has stayed put (I think) solely due to the tensioning on the bottom corners.

I'd be more concerned about fixing the position on the top if the beak was a lot narrower up there, making the "seal" on the tarp more position sensitive.
    I just did a quick mock-up with crude hems and tie points just to see if it might work, and I'm now certain the principle is sound. The top seals up okay but I still have gaps at the tarp corners. Got a solution to that, though, as well as a slight variation on this idea that'll be easier to show than describe. I'm gonna tidy up the work and take some pics later today.

Hey, we're in hurricane season now....you can get some Real Good testing in!
    Do ya think my 5 x 10 will handle it?
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    I just did a quick mock-up with crude hems and tie points just to see if it might work, and I'm now certain the principle is sound. The top seals up okay but I still have gaps at the tarp corners. Got a solution to that, though, as well as a slight variation on this idea that'll be easier to show than describe. I'm gonna tidy up the work and take some pics later today.
    I thought of moving the connecting tabs off the corner and along the edge a couple of inches. Not sure how the "flap" created stays put. Looking forward to your ideas, let a thousand flowers bloom!

Ah Labor Day. I think I'm going to play with my newest wood-burning stove, the Littlbug. Seeing as it is a cottage industry in my home town, and my mother attends the same church as the guy who makes these....(and he sensibly dropped the weight of the smallest model from 9.5 oz to 5.1 oz...)

Grizz the firebug

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    I thought of moving the connecting tabs off the corner and along the edge a couple of inches. Not sure how the "flap" created stays put. Looking forward to your ideas, let a thousand flowers bloom!
    That's exactly how I intended to get rid of the corner gaps! I checked it out by hand and it'll seal up okay. I'll share some pics of the 'flowers' later on.

Ah Labor Day. I think I'm going to play with my newest wood-burning stove, the Littlbug. Seeing as it is a cottage industry in my home town, and my mother attends the same church as the guy who makes these....(and he sensibly dropped the weight of the smallest model from 9.5 oz to 5.1 oz...)

Grizz the firebug
    That's a nice looking stove. Me likee. Is that Gabby Hayes cooking there on the web site ?
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think I'm going to play with my newest wood-burning stove, the Littlbug.

Grizz the firebug
    If you get a chance, I'd like to see a video on that one. I couldn't find any on YouTube.

Thanks,
    Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images

Some flowers...

Here are some pics of a very rough proof of concept implementation based on my earlier comments. This was done in extreme haste (gotta help my bro do some electrical work in his restaurant), so please defer the cat calls 'til I leave.

Here's the basic idea:

And here's the variation I alluded to:

I cut the thing a little bit narrow at the top, so the fit is a bit smaller than I intended. (Haste makes waste!) I secured the outer edge of the beak's top to the tarp's ridge tie line to maintain some tension. Also, there's no velcro sewn into the 'door' edges.

Gotta run, but I wanted to get this initial thing done and posted.
    Last edited by Frawg; 09-07-2009 at 10:52.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Images
    i wouldn't worry too much about a little gap at the ground corners, as long as it's small it shouldn't matter much since it's down near the bottom edge of the tarp anyway.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast