Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Evolution of DIY Skills-- WBBB Clone

So I started down this DIY path primarily as a way to save money. I had never used a sewing machine, let alone thought about how gear/stuff is put together. It has been a long slow path, but I thought I would show my evolution with DIY, leading up to my final version of a WBBB clone for my wife.

I have been hankering to build a WBBB clone for a while, especially since my wife wanted my actual WBBB. In analyzing the sewing on the WBBB I figured I could take a crack at it and make one for her, if all else failed maybe the boss would give me permission to buy another WBBB.

Well she was smarter than me and made me build a few hammocks before I built hers. So I started making hammocks for my scouts and then one for my daughter and then finally hers. I thought I would show some pictures of the progress. It really has come a long ways from the first one.

First Attempt at DIY (adding a second layer to an GT Ultralight Hammock) It took a long time but I learned how to thread inject.

One of the many iterations later, a hammock for one of my scouts. He is 6' 10" tall and nothing would fit him. So I decided to go for the whole enchilada and build him a twelve footer patterned after a WBBB. Looking at the pictures now makes me cringe a bit with the number of screw ups that are apparent, but he loves it and the Sclittlefields camo fabric was great to use. I also gained a ton of respect for Brandon and also learned to sew and think about patterns. This one was built with no pattern, just me pinning it and trying to eyeball it, it is functional but not pretty by any means. It also took about 2 months of off and on work.

These three pictures show why it is necessary to put cat cuts into the bugnet before sewing it on. The pinning and cutting method leaves a few puckers and weirdness. It is still fully functional and extremely comfortable.

The next attempt was me building a hammock for my daughter. This time around I decided to build a pattern for everything and cutting exact dimensions and only sewing once. I have posted pictures of it before but one can see the difference it made. It is patterned off the revered Jerry5 style. Its pattern is what I used when I built the double layer instructions I posted previously. This one went together in one day.

After building my daughters, my wife gave me the seal of approval and released my capital acquisition request for a new sewing machine and more fabric and supplies. Per her request I went for another WBBB clone. I tried some new fabrics which I have decided I like the best so far out of all my hammocks. It is 100% Polyester taffeta lining material for the base and some nylon taffeta for the wing and shelf and footbox. I am really happy with how her's came out. It started life as an 11 footer and after hemming and sewing ends up at about 10'6". She took it for a spin in our front yard and promptly fell asleep. The sewing still has a couple of hiccups, but overall it almost looks like a real WBBB. Except for the fact that it is black with purple highlights.

It went together in about 1.5 days.

The boss passed out.

Footbox and shelf shot

Overhead shot

My wife, daughter and I took the hammocks on a camping trip but I will save that trip report for another post.

So enough showing off for me, but I would like to thank everyone for the help I got from this forum. There is no way I would have attempted any of this or got anything close to this result without all of the willing hands here.

BlackGoat

Wow, nice! Congrats. Hopefully mine will turn out half as well as yours!

Where did you find that black polyester taffeta?
    Lookin' good! You should be proud!

Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Where did you find that black polyester taffeta?

Surprisingly enough I found it at Joanns. It was in the taffeta section with a label that said 100% Polyester Black Lining. I believe it was $4 a yard, but with a 50% coupon was only two bucks a yard. It feels very similar to the WBBB 1.7 layer material, except it has a bit less stretch and seems to lay flatter for me.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Pretty cool seeing the evolution of your DIY hammocks. I've been wanting to clone a Blackbird myself, but haven't spent enough time looking at one in person to fully grasp what needs to be done. Your work is inspiring me to just go for it.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    +1 to Knotty's comments.

My wife likes the Traveler clone I made, but really likes my BB. I may have to mentally deconstruct mine in order to replicate it.

I remember reading BlackGoat's thread about the black taffeta and trying to remind myself to go look for it in my local store. Finances have kept me from doing so, even WITH a coupon. Well, I also need to learn how to sew on zippers, which is another learing curve I have to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Pretty cool seeing the evolution of your DIY hammocks. I've been wanting to clone a Blackbird myself, but haven't spent enough time looking at one in person to fully grasp what needs to be done. Your work is inspiring me to just go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strapped-4-Cache View Post
    +1 to Knotty's comments.

My wife likes the Traveler clone I made, but really likes my BB. I may have to mentally deconstruct mine in order to replicate it.

I remember reading BlackGoat's thread about the black taffeta and trying to remind myself to go look for it in my local store. Finances have kept me from doing so, even WITH a coupon. Well, I also need to learn how to sew on zippers, which is another learing curve I have to overcome.

Thanks guys!

S-4-C, I actually found that sewing zippers was a lot easier for me than the omni tape if you use a zipper foot. I was scared to death to do it, but it honestly was one of the easiest things to attach.

BG

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Looks good, im waiting to get a sewing machine so I can embark into the DIY world. Have you ventured to make any thing else besides hammocks? The hammocks look like they turned out real nice and I like the coloring scheme of your daughters hammocks.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images
    So.... are you going to post all the details and your pattern?

Great job, I am just waiting for money fall from the sky to get my next DIY project moving.
    - William -

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. - Psalms 119:9

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Looks good, im waiting to get a sewing machine so I can embark into the DIY world. Have you ventured to make any thing else besides hammocks? The hammocks look like they turned out real nice and I like the coloring scheme of your daughters hammocks.
    Thanks. The DIY mindset has definitely branched from hammocks so far I have built underquilts, Speer Padment Extender clone, Grizz Beak clones, and vapor barrier running gloves. In addition I have made a sleeping bag and a rock collecting belt for my daughter. I have also got over the stove building bug for the time being , but I have made a myriad of stoves over the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by WLMiller54 View Post
    So.... are you going to post all the details and your pattern?

Great job, I am just waiting for money fall from the sky to get my next DIY project moving.
    Well I did post the details of how I build a double layer hammock. They are here, they need to be cleaned up a bit based upon the feedback I got from that thread. They show the basic design behind the hammock. These instructions build a Jerry5 like hammock, where there is not a built in shelf or footbox. I don't think the Jerry5 hammocks requires a footbox because they are so wide that it negates the need of one. I also decided to go this route and not step on Brandon's toes by producing a pattern for something he has put a lot of time and creativity into. I know there was a thread posted previously that did show the design, and it is easy to replicate that design and sew it on the side without the zipper instead of the wing. That is more or less all I did differently on my wifes.

I am happy to help explain in more details any questions you have, just shoot me a PM. I am not an expert by any means, but happy to help anyone.

T
    BG

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast