Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

First time in a Hammock in the 30s, am I going to Freeze?

Just ordered a couple Hammocks for myself and my son, with Hennessy's Christmas Special. I've never camped in one before.

I'm hoping to use it at an upcoming Campout in December. Historical Lows average about 33 degrees, with record lows about 18, in that date/location.

I have a 20-40 degree sleeping bag, and a closed cell foam pad I plan to use under my sleeping bag.

I've been perfectly comfortable in similar weather while tent camping, with an Air Mattress + Sleeping Bag, (with no Closed Cell foam). I know that the Air Mattress can be a huge heat drain, but not sure how that compares to a Hammock.

I have no problems sleeping in warmer clothes inside the bag if needed. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of budget for underquilts, etc. (Extra blanket on top or a Windshield Reflector might be possible though...)

Should I stick with my tent for this winter campout and save the hammock for the spring, or will this kind of gear be good enough for that weather?

(My Son won't get his Hammock until Christmas, so his will be used first at our March Camping Trip, where it should be warmer.)

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Test in your backyard first. The pad should be adequate, but you may feel cold in your shoulders where the bag will compress against the side. Having a short pad around your shoulders helps.

Images
    Is it a car camping? If so you can be prepared for both.

Lets use a 30 temp. Use a 20 degree sleeping bag. Pick up a two inexpensive closed cell foam pads (WalMart). One to lay on - 72" in lenth. Cut the other pad in half. Lay one of these horizontally at the top of the 72" pad - it's job is to keep your shoulders warm. Lay the other pad on top of the 72" pad, perpendicular to the "top pad" You now have a two layer T to lay on. If you have time try it at home, you may need to add darts to eliminate bulges. A little velcro can hold the top pads to the bottom. This is a fairly effective and inexpensive way .

But if it doesn't work climb in the tent and dream about hammocking.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Roche; 11-16-2011 at 22:44.

Unfortunately, I have no place to setup a Hammock in my yard. New Subdivision, so in about 20 years, I might have 2 trees strong enough to support a Hammock.

It's car camping, so I'll have a backup, just in case.

One extra newbie question: What are darts?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    A dart is a sewing term referring to a method of taking material and folding it over to reduce its size.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CubmasterTony View Post
    Little pointy things with feathers that one throws at a round cork target, but that's not important now.

Slits you cut in fabric (or closed cell foam [CCF] pads) to eliminate bulging. A CCF usually bulges when you lay on them. Cutting a slit or removing a bit of the material enables the pad to lay flatter, more comfortable.

If you have a double garage door it is easy to screw some eye bolts in each side of the openings of your garage door to hang your hammock from.

Quote Originally Posted by CubmasterTony View Post
    Unfortunately, I have no place to setup a Hammock in my yard. New Subdivision, so in about 20 years, I might have 2 trees strong enough to support a Hammock.

It's car camping, so I'll have a backup, just in case.

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    i say take a couple of space blankets and more bottom insulation!

Quote Originally Posted by kobold View Post
    i say take a couple of space blankets and more bottom insulation!

If Understand correctly, Most of my heat loss would be from the bottom, where my sleeping bag is compressed.

So would a space blanket go under my pads and sleeping bag?

Other than making a T out of 2 CCF Pads, what else would you suggest for bottom insulation? I don't know if I'd be able to rig up a proper underquilt, but would just laying a good blanket inside the hammock under my bag help?

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post

Slits you cut in fabric (or closed cell foam [CCF] pads) to eliminate bulging. A CCF usually bulges when you lay on them. Cutting a slit or removing a bit of the material enables the pad to lay flatter, more comfortable.
    I feel compelled to point out that this (dart) allows the pad to fit more closely to the curve of the laden hammock, ie less lumps/bulges, but not 'flatter'. no offense meant, just trying to clarify.
    KM

PS darts in garments are used to shape/fit the 2D cloth closer to a 3D body. Same idea here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast