Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    If you like it, that's all that really matters.
    I took a look on Campmor.com to see what sorts of weights and prices were out there for some -15 F bags. They had a Eureka -15 F bag for under 60 bucks that weighs about 6.5 lbs. Combine that with a wide of CCF pad and "in theory" you can make it to about 0 F for under 8 lbs and $100 bucks. At those temps, I would rather not gamble on saving money. At 20 F, you can have a cold miserable night with gear failure. Below 0, "miserable" is more likely to be replaced with "dead".

FWIW, I believe the 12.5 lbs for the 4 part system includes a stuff sack and a compression bag. Those would have to be heavy though to make much of a difference.

probably closer to 5 or 600.00 for all those quilts.

It's not cheap.. just like hunting, sking, boarding, kayaking, motorcycling, biking...

It also dependso n what you're doing with your gear. For me, the price is for the weight saved and superior materials. But I'm OM on the trail most the time anyways. Usually only car camp for hangs or with the GF but I prefer to be able to use my gear in a backpacking situation. Carry all the extra weight will ruin the rest of the trip between burning calories, sweating, hot spots, waking up with sore shoulders and neck. For me it's worth having not only the sleeping comfort but the carrying comfort as well.

Car camping, it's game on.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    probably closer to 5 or 600.00 for all those quilts.

It's not cheap.. just like hunting, sking, boarding, kayaking, motorcycling, biking...
    If I had to buy all of my gear at one time, I never would have done it. Those three quilts if bought today would be just shy of $850 with shipping.
    However, if you keep an eye on sales and used gear, you might get all of that for half. Then if you further stagger your buys over time, it's not that bad. I have no intention of paying for my retirement up front with a single payment, and I'm not buying all of the gear I'll ever use at once either.

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    If I had to buy all of my gear at one time, I never would have done it. Those three quilts if bought today would be just shy of $850 with shipping.
    However, if you keep an eye on sales and used gear, you might get all of that for half. Then if you further stagger your buys over time, it's not that bad. I have no intention of paying for my retirement up front with a single payment, and I'm not buying all of the gear I'll ever use at once either.
    Amen. I think the only thing I've paid full price for is my TQ and time was an issue. Absolutely though, if you keep your eyes open and get a piece at a time you can save quite a good bit.

It also helps to prioritize your needs for hammock camping. Like buying an UQ first vs. a TQ because you can use a sleeping bag (SB) as a TQ a LOT easier than an UQ.

Chisel away at it and over time you'll have a whole new gear system.

There's also a lot of seasonal sales that go on (can't wait for the spring sales) and it's a GREAT way to get cheap gear, all the clearance sales. People are pretty good at posting great deals they stumble across.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    mambajamba
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    adjustable strap
    I slept in my military modular last nite at 10degrees no wind, to test it for possible frozen butt hang.
    no UQ, no tarp just a emergency blanket between the wbbb 1.1 dbl layers.
    i was wearing insulated jeans, cotton socks, fleece pullover and polyester/spandex base layer, knit hat and neoprene face mask.
    while i was warm with no cold spots, i never did get to sleep, after 6hours i went in to bed to sleep.
    i was happy with how warm it was, but had a hard time keeping it "sealed" at my head.
    thinking DIY UQ, TQ and just colder rated bag with pad may be the ticket

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    I slept in my military modular last nite at 10degrees no wind, to test it for possible frozen butt hang.
    no UQ, no tarp just a emergency blanket between the wbbb 1.1 dbl layers.
    i was wearing insulated jeans, cotton socks, fleece pullover and polyester/spandex base layer, knit hat and neoprene face mask.
    while i was warm with no cold spots, i never did get to sleep, after 6hours i went in to bed to sleep.
    i was happy with how warm it was, but had a hard time keeping it "sealed" at my head.
    Is that a center zip or side zip model? What issues were you having with the hood?
    I doubt you'll need a warmer bag, but having something underneath will eliminate much of the guess work. Those combine thick synthetic bags should get you close to 30 underneath even with the compression. The space blanket between layers probably buys you another 10 degrees. My bet is that a 1/4" thick evazote or minicel pad along with the bag and space blanket should handle 10 degrees with the proper clothing.

Oh, and lose the cotton socks. Wool or synthetic will let the perspiration wick away from your feet and make more of a difference than you' think.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    Jesse, I just posted about that in the mummy bag thread. I had the same issue this week, but solved it by throwing my jacket over the hammock, and once situated I slid the jacket down over my face leaving just enough opening to get fresh air.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have a top and bottom quilt combo that weighs 2.5 pounds and will go to sub-zero (F).
    However, they are not waterproof nor windproof. So a tarp and hammock sock would have to be factored in to give the protection that you have. That would be another 1.5 pounds.

This would be a lighter, but perhaps less versatile solution.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    mambajamba
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    adjustable strap
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Is that a center zip or side zip model? What issues were you having with the hood?
    I doubt you'll need a warmer bag, but having something underneath will eliminate much of the guess work. Those combine thick synthetic bags should get you close to 30 underneath even with the compression. The space blanket between layers probably buys you another 10 degrees. My bet is that a 1/4" thick evazote or minicel pad along with the bag and space blanket should handle 10 degrees with the proper clothing.

Oh, and lose the cotton socks. Wool or synthetic will let the perspiration wick away from your feet and make more of a difference than you' think.
    I wish i had read this last nite,
    side zip model, with the hood i didn't tie closed, so air could still drift in some, I think i need to wear a jacket with this system as intended.
    I went out again last night, -3 no wind that i noticed, and was wearing
    wool socks, 2 layers bdu liners, t shirt, hoody, very cheap down vest and skipped the face mask.

next time will wear jacket instead of vest, I have been trying to so what the minimum i can wear is.
    i have worked outside in construction since '84 so have plenty of warm clothes to wear.

i added a 3/4 inch blue pad and 1/2 inflated big agnes air pad.
    i was very toasty

in addition i have 1/2in open cell foam sandwiched by tyvek hanging on top of hammock, clpped to hammock ridge line. plus the tarp rigged to block wind.
    i used separate thermometers to find that i gained 15-20degrees with this.
    it goes the fulll length of hammock and down 36" each side from ridge.

thanks for your advice
    Last edited by jesse; 01-03-2012 at 13:05.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    mambajamba
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    adjustable strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    Jesse, I just posted about that in the mummy bag thread. I had the same issue this week, but solved it by throwing my jacket over the hammock, and once situated I slid the jacket down over my face leaving just enough opening to get fresh air.
    thanks, i will try this next time.
    jesse

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast