Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Silpoly XL?

Does anyone have any experience with this material for a tarp, in terms of durability, etc.? I'm coming from a very heavy Hennessy Hex fly that has been super durable...just a bit concerned about the durability of the 1.1 Silpoly for 4 season use...

Thanks!

I have a 1.1 silpoly hex tarp I made that has held up really well. I have a silpoly XL asym tarp that I've barely used, but I don't see why there would be any difference in durability between the standard width and the XL. The primary tarp that I use is a 0.9 MEMBRANE silpoly tarp which has done well, but is subject to pinholes that I have to patch with tape or a dab of seam sealer. The silpoly 1.1 has never had that issue and seems to be more robust in terms of resisting pinhole type punctures. It's probably fair to say that the lighter you go, the steeper the tradeoffs in terms of durability, so it's about finding the point in weight vs durability vs cost that works in your case.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Made a tarp with SilPoly XL and it seems quite durable. just got back from a week in Quetico and the squirrels had a field day dropping pine cones on the tarp .... I admit i winced each time (and muttered a few choice words) but the tarp is fine and is still watertight.

Brian

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks for the feedback guys

Has anyone experience with using this wide fabric to make an asym tarp without a seam? I figure a tarp 75x108 would give me right around 11' ridge line, but I'm curious how the ridge behaves. As the fabric gives, I can imagine that the ridge can potentially do funky things.

Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    I have a silpoly XL asym tarp that I've barely used...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    Has anyone experience with using this wide fabric to make an asym tarp without a seam? I figure a tarp 75x108 would give me right around 11' ridge line, but I'm curious how the ridge behaves. As the fabric gives, I can imagine that the ridge can potentially do funky things.
    Yep! Many people have. Kitsap posted plans somewhere around here, Dutch offers kits, and both Dutch and RBTR offer XL silpoly suitable for an asym tarp. I made one from Dutch's kit which incorporates secondary pullouts for the ridge line which can be used to modify the ridge line length. This is useful for getting the tarp closer to the hammock in the event of bad weather. It also has optional secondary pullouts for staking down which give additional security in heavier weather than just using two stakes. I typically use a two-piece ridge line systems which will work fine with this tarp, but I've found it pitches better with a CRL underneath the tarp, probably due to bias stretch.

I've slept under it several times now with good results.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Anyone got pics?

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    SilPoly XL

"...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Silpoly 1.1oz PU4000 made into a Hammock Hot Tent....very impressed with how well this material works/stands up.

IMG-20170918-04474 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Kitimat-Stikine B-20171107-04554 by richardktm300, on Flickr
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post

Yes.. I just made an asym of 1.1 SilPoly using Kitsapcowboys Glasgow Asym as a base. Funky things... the seamless tarps are prone to forming a gutter across the ridge when tensioned. On my last asym I added a faux standing french seam to prevent this. It worked well, but frankly it was unnecessary. On the seamless Glasgow asym it does get a wee bit wonky, but I've hose tested it and water doesn't collect there.

To your first question.. I have made four tarps of standard width 1.1 Silpoly and one of 0.9 Silpoly membrane for the asym I describe above. All have been fine, though the ultra lite 0.9 membrane was even more prone to the gutter effect..hence the faux ridge seam. I am planning out two more tarps for winter projects. One will be in 1.1 and one will most likely be in 0.9.. both in standard width fabric.

I use an internal pole on my hex tarps and I don't believe XL fabric is needed...it's a cavern once the pole stretches the sides out.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast