Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none

Wind Blockers from Tyvek?

So I've got some smartwool gloves on the way for dealing with chilly weather, but I'm going to guess that they don't do a whole lot for blocking wind.

Now, I could probably buy a set of mittens to block the wind, but they generally tend to be bulky and add a few ounces or so.

If anyone has ever dealt with any welding saftey gear before, there are these insulated, reflective pads that are worn over leather work gloves to shield the hands and arms from the heat/light of MIG/Fluxcore welding. They have elastic bands that slip over the wrist and the four fingers.

So, my idea is to do this same thing, but using tyvek. I could stitch seams along the index and pinkie finger, the thumb will not be covered and then secure the whole thing with shock cord around the wrist.

What do ya think?

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    AnimalControl made some Tyvek mittens recently.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fulminated View Post
    So I've got some smartwool gloves on the way for dealing with chilly weather, but I'm going to guess that they don't do a whole lot for blocking wind.

Now, I could probably buy a set of mittens to block the wind, but they generally tend to be bulky and add a few ounces or so.

If anyone has ever dealt with any welding saftey gear before, there are these insulated, reflective pads that are worn over leather work gloves to shield the hands and arms from the heat/light of MIG/Fluxcore welding. They have elastic bands that slip over the wrist and the four fingers.

So, my idea is to do this same thing, but using tyvek. I could stitch seams along the index and pinkie finger, the thumb will not be covered and then secure the whole thing with shock cord around the wrist.

What do ya think?
    i made a pair of these out of an old stock HH tarp. i found a pattern on a DIY site. can't find it now.
    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...ichard%20Lyon/

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    AnimalControl made some Tyvek mittens recently.
    I've been playing with sewing Tyvek mitts...
    I sewed, taped and taped then sewed
    Taped...
    seemed to work ok (3m double sided tape) I wonder about long term. Waterproof along seam (hand dunked in bucket of water)
    Taped then sew...
    best overall option. labor intensive. Tape, sew, gums up your sewing needles, etc. Durability seemed better. Waterproof along seam (hand dunked in bucket of water)
    Sewn alone...
    stitching holes opened WIDE with any stress. I didn't trust the material not to rip along the stitiching (think perforated paper) NOT waterproof along seam

My goal was lightweight, waterproof, windproof mitts for hiking (not around camp). These certainly fit that bill. As we enter the winter hiking season, we shall see how long they last...
    Not sure if that helps you or not
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i made a pair of these out of an old stock HH tarp. i found a pattern on a DIY site. can't find it now.
    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...ichard%20Lyon/
    found it http://thru-hiker.com/projects/mitten_pattern.php i enlarged the pattern on the enlarger and made the wrist longer with a elastic band.

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    I've been playing with sewing Tyvek mitts...
    I sewed, taped and taped then sewed
    Taped...
    seemed to work ok (3m double sided tape) I wonder about long term. Waterproof along seam (hand dunked in bucket of water)
    Taped then sew...
    best overall option. labor intensive. Tape, sew, gums up your sewing needles, etc. Durability seemed better. Waterproof along seam (hand dunked in bucket of water)
    Sewn alone...
    stitching holes opened WIDE with any stress. I didn't trust the material not to rip along the stitiching (think perforated paper) NOT waterproof along seam

My goal was lightweight, waterproof, windproof mitts for hiking (not around camp). These certainly fit that bill. As we enter the winter hiking season, we shall see how long they last...
    Not sure if that helps you or not
    That;s the idea that I was looking for. What about using something like grosgrain ribbon on the seams? I'm not looking for 100% water proof, just something to block the wind.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That;s the idea that I was looking for. What about using something like grosgrain ribbon on the seams? I'm not looking for 100% water proof, just something to block the wind.
    Just buy some nylon and sew up wind mitts from any of numerous mitten templates. It's about as easy a sewing project as they come!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Just buy some nylon and sew up wind mitts from any of numerous mitten templates. It's about as easy a sewing project as they come!
    Sure, I got that.

But I have tyvek. I'd have to drive 30 minutes to walmart to find nylon

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    found it http://thru-hiker.com/projects/mitten_pattern.php i enlarged the pattern on the enlarger and made the wrist longer with a elastic band.
    the exact patterns I used
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    you could probably put the grosgrain in between the 2 layers of Tyvek and reinforce the stitching

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast