Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - it'd be pretty scary for a second or two but I doubt it would put you on the ground.

But it might make the hammock lay longer as it hangs...hope the tarp is long enough. That actually makes a difference for some of my setups...the hammock only fits under the tarp when the ridgeline is on.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I got severely p**sed off this weekend. I went back to Target to get another bag so that I could finish my rip stop cover for my HH. I noticed that they had the camo version of sleeping bag I had used the first time on sale for 9.99. I though it's not fleece but at least it's camo instead of bright green of the last bags I bought. So I get home and do a qucik test of the zipper while it was attached to the sleeping bag and it zipped up fine. I only zipped up a foot or so.

So I remove one side of the zipper and went over and zipped it on the hammock so I could line up and pin the top cover. Once fully zipped the zipper was about 8" shorter than it should have been. I unzipped it and measured it and it was 2" inches shorter than the one I had on the hammock. I checked the teeth of the zipper and they lined up for the first couple of inches and then they didn't line up at all. CRAP.

Now I have to take a sleeping bag back to Target and explain why one side of the zipper is no longer attached to the bag. "I swear I climbed in the bag and the zipper just fell off. Can I get another one? The green one this time."
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop View Post
    Drop
    *From the company that doesn't seem to offer overseas service or replies to emails
    which company was that?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    Trek light hammocks, great looking 'biners but I guess a paltry $10 or $20 order is not worth their bother
    Being charitable I'll go with the email not reaching them (even if it was submitted via the website form)

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop View Post
    Trek light hammocks, great looking 'biners but I guess a paltry $10 or $20 order is not worth their bother
    Being charitable I'll go with the email not reaching them (even if it was submitted via the website form)
    both jacks r better & , backpackinglight.com have well made mini biners you could take a look at.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    both jacks r better & , backpackinglight.com have well made mini biners you could take a look at.
    Thanks Slowhike unfortunately the BPlight ones (ursalight) are only rated to 150-200lbs rather than the 1100lbs treklight claim. I'm assuming the JRB ones are accessory types as well.

Images

Question side tie-outs?

hi headchange4u!

Nice hammock. Gonna make one too! how many inches is the side tie-out from the hammock end? is it centered or is it an asym type?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rptinker View Post
    hi headchange4u!

Nice hammock. Gonna make one too! how many inches is the side tie-out from the hammock end? is it centered or is it an asym type?
    Hey rptinker,

Welcome to the forum.

My side tie outs are asym. Unfortunatly I don't have the measurement. What I did was to lay the hammock fabric out flat on the floor after hemming the edges and before sewing the tubes on each end. I next took my Jacks R Better No Sniveller under quilt and centered it on the fabric. I used the asym attachment loops on the JRB quilt to find the location of the side tie outs on the hammock. I was making sure that my JRB quilts would work well on this hammock.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Thanks headchange4u! I sewed the side tie outs last night without wating for your reply. The bug got me! I couldnt sleep without finishing this ***** hammock! I went to Tom hennesy's website instead and looked for specs and found nothing specific except for words like "just above the knee or just about your shoulder." So i did the most logical thing, i tied the hammock layed on it and marked the places were my shoulder and knee touched the hem. Voila! the result looked and felt good. In fact i slept on the hammock last night (minus the bugnet but with plenty of bug lotion) and it was roomy and flat compared to my speer/claytor clone. i will sew the zipper and experiment with the bugnet this pm. thanks for the tip

ps- my hammock end was fold/gathered hennesy asym style but with a difference. After gathering the ends it was folded and whipped like Jeff's. The support line goes through the fold and attached to the tree like claytors or crzy cribs. No need for the loop thingy because you can tie the ridgeline with a clove hitch and half hitches directly to the hammock support. the only downside is that you cant sew the zipper on like the hh. Im still experimenting but i think i have some ideas to try this pm. thanks!
    Last edited by rptinker; 03-28-2007 at 22:00.

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Hey, I just wanted to say thanks. In a little over an hour and for a little less than $30 I made my first hammock and it beats any of the others I've slept in hands down. I took your ridgeline and the way you sewed the ends and combined it with hammockengineers parallelogram shaped material idea. I didn't even bother with the side tie outs or the ridgeline yet, just ran outside, set it up and flopped down. Amazing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast