valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by mbnow View Post
    Well i went and pulled the trigger,
    Ordered the Rock Wren in long from FF.
    I will see how it fits me using it the way Rip does before i make (or pay someone to make) any modifications.

And yes it was on sale, and upgraded to 900 fill for $24. Might increase temp range a little (they fill bag with same weight of down).
    any chance to use this? thoughts?
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    OK, I've got 3 brand name pea pods, 2 wallcreepers, and have used a WM Ponderosa as pod. I can tell you straight up that a zipper is so much faster/easier than dealing with the velcro closure of the pods when its 1.6F. The ability to get the arms out is a plus, but what I discovered when using the double pod system (PeaPod wrapped around the Wallcreeper) is that only one arm is useful-the other arm can't reach around far enough BUT you can (and I have) unzipped the Wallcreeper to allow that arm to help the arm that goes through the arm hole.
    Another benefit is this....I (maybe the only one) love the old no longer made 40F peapod--wish it was still made--the 40F wallcreeper is the closest thing to it. For 3 season use as has been pointed out, you have TQ and UQ all in one with the 'more than the sum of its parts' deal I've seen over and over with the peapods PLUS the awesome hood.
    Lots of fears in this. I think my greatest is that to pull this off and not have an opening on the back of the Wallcreeper/Wren that is as wide as your shoulders and/or you will loose the asym lay.
    Re: Velcro. You may remember that after my ID Sawtooth trip last Fall, I reported trouble with "worn out" Velcro that didn't want to stick good and easy like it had in the past(been in use for years now). I was able to get it to work fine and kept warm, but it was significantly more hassle. I never was able to rehab this Velcro, it still kind of sucks and is a weak connection, though it is not totally non-functional. So some day I am going to get some new Velcro, and replace the old. But I have to find out exactly which Velcro Ed Speer used originally. I have played around with some of the same size and it does not seem as strong to me as the original when new. Plus I still have my original Speer hammock with Velcro bug net, and though same age as the PeaPod that Velcro still seems really strong, and I want to replace with that exact stuff if I can find it. When it is working like that, I always found closure to be quick and easy- just pull it real tight up under my chin and barely touch the Velcro and bam! It is closed.

But here is what I have done in the mean time: Nearly weightless snaps from WM. I sewed ( right thru the Velcro) 1 on about 1 foot towards the middle from the foot end, then another a couple of more feet towards the middle, and one just above where my head rests( I may yet add one more, these things are REALLY light). I close the 2 foot end snaps and snug the weak Velcro closed, and maybe close the head end snap. Sit in the hammock , lay back and pull my legs up into "fetal", giving me just room enough to get my feet/legs into the hammock and under the PeaPod without popping it back open again. It nearly always stays closed on the foot end as I get in, and having that much stay closed makes closing the remaining chest and head area- even with the worn out Velcro- a "snap" so to speak. In fact, even if it is not already closed and is wide open, being able to snap it partially closed from inside the hammock makes every thing MUCH easier.

I love it! Even when the Pod was new, I always thought a few snaps might be a great help, but with the worn out Velcro it is a life saver, making it fully functional. Even if I finally replace my Velcro, I will still add some snaps.

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post

As usual i feel i am talking about gear more than actually using it. I hope this gets reversed soon.

Haven't tried it out yet except in the basement. Group hang coming up in may i will put it to the test. Not confident in enough to take out untested sleep gear in new england mountains this time of year. And dont want to carry a backup either.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" -BR-.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Re: Velcro. You may remember that after my ID Sawtooth trip last Fall, I reported trouble with "worn out" Velcro that didn't want to stick good and easy like it had in the past(been in use for years now). I was able to get it to work fine and kept warm, but it was significantly more hassle. I never was able to rehab this Velcro, it still kind of sucks and is a weak connection, though it is not totally non-functional. So some day I am going to get some new Velcro, and replace the old. But I have to find out exactly which Velcro Ed Speer used originally. I have played around with some of the same size and it does not seem as strong to me as the original when new. Plus I still have my original Speer hammock with Velcro bug net, and though same age as the PeaPod that Velcro still seems really strong, and I want to replace with that exact stuff if I can find it. When it is working like that, I always found closure to be quick and easy- just pull it real tight up under my chin and barely touch the Velcro and bam! It is closed.

But here is what I have done in the mean time: Nearly weightless snaps from WM. I sewed ( right thru the Velcro) 1 on about 1 foot towards the middle from the foot end, then another a couple of more feet towards the middle, and one just above where my head rests( I may yet add one more, these things are REALLY light). I close the 2 foot end snaps and snug the weak Velcro closed, and maybe close the head end snap. Sit in the hammock , lay back and pull my legs up into "fetal", giving me just room enough to get my feet/legs into the hammock and under the PeaPod without popping it back open again. It nearly always stays closed on the foot end as I get in, and having that much stay closed makes closing the remaining chest and head area- even with the worn out Velcro- a "snap" so to speak. In fact, even if it is not already closed and is wide open, being able to snap it partially closed from inside the hammock makes every thing MUCH easier.

I love it! Even when the Pod was new, I always thought a few snaps might be a great help, but with the worn out Velcro it is a life saver, making it fully functional. Even if I finally replace my Velcro, I will still add some snaps.
    Have you considered omni-tape instead of velcro? I was thinking of chnaging mine out. Omni-tap would also get rid of the coarse side sticking to other garments.

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    Well i did a test with the Rock Wren at the group hang, and i dont think its going to work for me.

I used it with my Snipe hammock which is on the longer side so maybe that didnt help also, but the Wren was a little too constricting for me. I'm 5' 11 and 208lbs. Because of this i didnt try to sleep in it overnight.

My goal is to have a simple and LIGHTWEIGHT set up that doesnt need too much fiddling with to get it comfortable. The next thing to look at is probably just the Pea Pod.

As of now i dont think you can beat an underquilt and top quilt that weighs under 2lbs for both that gets you to 35- 40 degrees.

I will say that i would be willing to sacrifice some comfort of room if the temps are very cold. WHich is why this coming winter i have a WM Kodiak ready to test.

Matt B.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" -BR-.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by mbnow View Post
    Well i did a test with the Rock Wren at the group hang, and i dont think its going to work for me.

I used it with my Snipe hammock which is on the longer side so maybe that didnt help also, but the Wren was a little too constricting for me. I'm 5' 11 and 208lbs. Because of this i didnt try to sleep in it overnight.

My goal is to have a simple and LIGHTWEIGHT set up that doesnt need too much fiddling with to get it comfortable. The next thing to look at is probably just the Pea Pod.

As of now i dont think you can beat an underquilt and top quilt that weighs under 2lbs for both that gets you to 35- 40 degrees.

I will say that i would be willing to sacrifice some comfort of room if the temps are very cold. WHich is why this coming winter i have a WM Kodiak ready to test.

Matt B.
    i suppose you're right in the milder temps, when a free range of movement would be greater appreciated. my last time out.. it got to 40F , and with my 30* UQ / TQ= 29oz.... i was hot, and venting the quilts. i couldn't imagine being in a down tube of the wren status...
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456