Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    Great I am glad that the video's helped. we are in the low 60s here and have been testing some new stuff well let you know how it goes.

Take a Gator aid bottle in the hammock with you then you don't even have to
    get out of the hammock this is a plus in the winter time..
    LOL yeah just cant do it. I had a bad experience with that once a loooong time ago and just wont even try again. Winter time with snow that sounds like a good idea, but if there is snow on the ground I am Skiing not Backpackin.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    why not ski with backpack up into the backcountry and hang hammock?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Take a Gator aid bottle in the hammock with you then you don't even have toget out of the hammock this is a plus in the winter time..
    Too risky! With a little practice, you can lean right out of the hammock. Just be careful where you put your boots!!!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    why not ski with backpack up into the backcountry and hang hammock?
    Guess i could never really thought about that. I do Telemark so it wouldn't be all that hard I have done some winter camping but have hiked out to a Forest Service Yurt with a bunch of friends and slept in it. But I guess now that I am off the ground I wouldn't have to sleep in the Yurt with all the smoke and loud drunk friends. I think i will bring it this year and give it a go. Hopefully I will have some kinda UQ by then. I am looking into making one with some Polorguard 3D stuff once a women I work with gives me a few sewing lessons. If I find that I have some hidden sewing talent I am sure to start making my own hammocks and tarp setups.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Too risky! With a little practice, you can lean right out of the hammock. Just be careful where you put your boots!!!

Yeah my experience left me with some ummmm wet sleeping stuff. I will deff be getting out when nature calls. I have a buddy that swears by his bottle but I just cant trust myself again with one. Yeah this weekend I actually made sure I was well away from my boots even though I was only in the back yard and wet boots would not have been a hike ender but it was funny that I made sure twice that I was well enough away. I have yet to get everything set like I do in my tent. Ya know boots go here, jacket gets rolled under head and blah blah blah. With my hammock I haven't figured out where stuff goes other than my hat and headlamp. The pockets on the Clark are very useful for that sorrta thing but I haven't had enough things to put in them because I haven't really used it yet for Backpacking.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Guess i could never really thought about that. I do Telemark so it wouldn't be all that hard I have done some winter camping but have hiked out to a Forest Service Yurt with a bunch of friends and slept in it. But I guess now that I am off the ground I wouldn't have to sleep in the Yurt with all the smoke and loud drunk friends. I think i will bring it this year and give it a go. Hopefully I will have some kinda UQ by then. I am looking into making one with some Polorguard 3D stuff once a women I work with gives me a few sewing lessons. If I find that I have some hidden sewing talent I am sure to start making my own hammocks and tarp setups.
    I would think that with the right kinda bag you should'nt need a underquilt but I could be wrong. I have done with allot less and a real good bag.

One thing I noticed with my N.A. was that I needed to stretch both sides. My zipper is on the left (never thought about ontop) so I would roll in and out and sit down on that side. What this did was make the hammock un even. So least weekend I just sat around on the other side and relaxed for a while. The next two nights were great. All evened out and comfy.

One thing that I did was tie a small bungie to the four corners of the rain fly. I then tied the factory lines to them. This makes it real easy to get the tarp nice and tight yet still have some give to it in the wind.

Run a rigeline inside from the two loops on each end of the canopy. They should be were the zippers come together. Works great for hanging a small lamp, watch/alarm other odds and ends.
    Last edited by 3DfourMe; 08-26-2008 at 16:39. Reason: tips

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DfourMe View Post
    One thing I noticed with my N.A. was that I needed to stretch both sides. My zipper is on the left (never thought about ontop) so I would roll in and out and sit down on that side. What this did was make the hammock un even. So least weekend I just sat around on the other side and relaxed for a while. The next two nights were great. All evened out and comfy.

One thing that I did was tie a small bungie to the four corners of the rain fly. I then tied the factory lines to them. This makes it real easy to get the tarp nice and tight yet still have some give to it in the wind.

Run a rigeline inside from the two loops on each end of the canopy. They should be were the zippers come together. Works great for hanging a small lamp, watch/alarm other odds and ends.
    Was thinking about the two loops inside as a gear ridge line. I am the type of guy that likes to put everything in its place each time. This way i always know where everything is an don't need to turn on a headlamp and search for them. (See Anal-Retentive) I also am going to try and setup a ridge line similar to Hangout's setup. I like the idea of having a ridge line to define the same sag each and every time. Just need to find the right line to prevent stretch. Thanks for solidifying the idea of the internal gear ridge line too as I was unsure if this was used. So much info to weed threw here I haven't read it all. However if you ask my wife she will say how much can you read about a stupid hammock, as the clock ticks toward the midnight hour each night

RTR, now that funny right there. I think we have all been there and some (not me, nope threw with that) still are.

You know the little tip about the small piece of bungies tied to the guy lines? Found out this weekend that that is not such a great idea if it snows. The bungie stretches under the weight of the snow. That leads to saggy rain fly that ends up touching the hammock all night plus it reduces the dry area under the hammock.

I've already scraped the bungies.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123