Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    Does anyone here use the grip clips? I'm thinking that even when I make my tarp I'll just use those. I am thinking the small ones, but I picked up some of the larger ones at REI. They attach without punching through the tarp. I am thinking of using them to side tie-outs on my hammock, too.

Seems too simple of a solution to have been overlooked by you folks.
    I use grip clips for the side tie-outs on my son's hammock, they work fine. I also don't see why they wouldn't work for pull-outs on a tarp.

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Do you think that using shock cord for the tie out guy line would help to reduce the stress on the sewn on patches? It looks like you are using standard Guy line.
    Go cheap! I bought a 4 yard pack of 5/16" black woven elastic at Wal-Mart and made double loops at all 4 corners. I think the pack cost 97 cents.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    Go cheap! I bought a 4 yard pack of 5/16" black woven elastic at Wal-Mart and made double loops at all 4 corners. I think the pack cost 97 cents.
    i don't remember how much the small shock cord was per foot (maybe .15) but i think i would trust it a little better in a high wind situation.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    uh guys...those look just like the peel and stick canoe tie outs i have seen in canoeing catalogues...it is already sewn and all you do is peel it off the backing and stick it to the canoe where ever you want a additional tie out....all you would need to do is stick it where ya want ..then add a little light sewing..problem solved...as i recall ...i think they run like 4 bucks for 2..try campmore or one of the canoe/khyak places.....
    juts my 2 cents worth

Images
    that wouldn't add any strength, it's reinforced, because the pull tab is stitched to the patch (instead of the lightweight fabric), and the patch is plenty strong as a single layer, now the weak link in the chain is the larger circular area of stitching, the force spreads out over more stitches than if the patch was not used, if failure occurs it will no longer be the pull tab stitches, but the patch stitches, making it round helps, making the patch bigger helps, using a patch on both sides wouldn't.

It's hard to tell from your pic but it looks like the reinforcement patch is sewn on the outside of your tarp. Is there nothing on the backside of the tarp for reinforcement? I think when I add them to my tarp I will put reinforcement patched on the front and back of the tarp, with the silnylon sandwiched in between.

Images
    also, it's not really the stitches that are the weak link, but the needle holes that the stitches are pulling on, thus the more stitches/larger patch, the less pull on each stitch hole the stronger it is.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I had thought about sewing round patches on the front and the back of the tarp and then sewing on the pull out loop. That way the pull out will be sewn through three layers of fabric. I think that would be the strongest way to have them sewn on.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I had thought about sewing round patches on the front and the back of the tarp and then sewing on the pull out loop. That way the pull out will be sewn through three layers of fabric. I think that would be the strongest way to have them sewn on.
    i would think that would have to help...& in a big way, because the stitches would be pulling the inside patch against the silnylon, rather than pulling on the silnylon.
    and using that method, i don't think you need anything really heroic or very heavy for the patches... just a little heaver fabric.
    i'm sure you could guess from the photos that i sewed the grosgrain attachment strip to the outside patch before the patch was sewn to the tarp.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    either way you do it, the sil inside the patch is circumvented. any force gets transmitted from the pull tab itself directly to the stitch holes around the patch, if you add another layer, 100% of the force still gets transmitted directly to the same patch stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i would think that would have to help...& in a big way, because the stitches would be pulling the inside patch against the silnylon, rather than pulling on the silnylon.
    and using that method, i don't think you need anything really heroic or very heavy for the patches... just a little heaver fabric.
    i'm sure you could guess from the photos that i sewed the grosgrain attachment strip to the outside patch before the patch was sewn to the tarp.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    warbonnetguy is right - doesn't make any difference putting patches on both sides, you still have the same stitches supporting the load forces.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast