Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar

replaced biners and rope

So I bought 2 metolius mini wiregate carabiners, weighing .88 oz. each. I also replaced the stock heavy rope with some 3mm climbing cord, that is rated to somthing like 5kn, or like 600 pounds. I have used this for suspenstion for a DIY hammock, so I am not afraid of the cord breaking, but I was just wondering, is it dangerous to have such small cord going through the channel? Will having all the force concentrated on a small surface area hurt or tear the hammock? I went through twice, just like the stock rope.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've run 7/64" Amsteel through my end channels and haven't had any issue.

Quote Originally Posted by nc527 View Post
    So I bought 2 metolius mini wiregate carabiners, weighing .88 oz. each. I also replaced the stock heavy rope with some 3mm climbing cord, that is rated to somthing like 5kn, or like 600 pounds. I have used this for suspenstion for a DIY hammock, so I am not afraid of the cord breaking, but I was just wondering, is it dangerous to have such small cord going through the channel? Will having all the force concentrated on a small surface area hurt or tear the hammock? I went through twice, just like the stock rope.
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Some thoughts.......

1. Climbing accessory cord (prussic cord) is most always nylon, noted here on HF to be notoriously stretchy. Especially when wet. Makes obtaining a proper hang more difficult than polyester line or webbing. You may have to hang your rig tightly to overcome the sag.

2. While 7/64" Amsteel is similar in diameter to prussic cord, it is MUCH slipperyer, so it is unable to generate friction against the nylon hammock body tunnel which might melt and weaken the nylon.

3. 600# seems a bit low, considering the forces generated by the diagonal nature of the suspension lines. Better off with a stronger line methinks.

Jim
    Last edited by Jsaults; 05-25-2011 at 10:53.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You could try just feeding the carabiner through the end channels. The ENO Pronests come this way. Having said that, I have 7/64 Amsteel loops I made in my ENO's. The loops are larksheaded through the channels so the material is gathered so tightly that I doubt it would ever cut cut through.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    You could try just feeding the carabiner through the end channels. The ENO Pronests come this way. Having said that, I have 7/64 Amsteel loops I made in my ENO's. The loops are larksheaded through the channels so the material is gathered so tightly that I doubt it would ever cut cut through.
    I tryed just feeding the carbiner, but they are way too small for all the material of the dbl nest. I have some light weight 1/2" rope I could use instead, if that would be better. Idk the weight rating of it, but it is hollow braid with polypro core strands.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
    I've run 7/64" Amsteel through my end channels and haven't had any issue.
    Same here. Only time I've ever had an issue with the cinch-end channels can be blamed squarely on my lack of skill with a thread injector...and maybe a complacent view of the effects of gravity.

Since my skills have improved, I've not had any issues. Particularity with thin line 'cutting' through the fabric. Although, I'm still somewhat surprised that it does not. Maybe Amsteel is just magic?
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Same here. Only time I've ever had an issue with the cinch-end channels can be blamed squarely on my lack of skill with a thread injector...and maybe a complacent view of the effects of gravity.

Since my skills have improved, I've not had any issues. Particularity with thin line 'cutting' through the fabric. Although, I'm still somewhat surprised that it does not. Maybe Amsteel is just magic?
    EDIT: Hung today in the new system, and no noticeble stretch. I was concerned at first, but after layin in it for about 10min, I was still fine. This weekend, I think I will take a piece of the rope, and make a step tied to an overhead branch, and see if I can bounce up and down without breaking. I trust it pretty much right now, but I dont plan on hanging over any sharp rocks anytime soon. (still might replace with a little bigger rope)
    Last edited by AppalachianHammock; 05-25-2011 at 20:03.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    DIY/Down&ENO Vulca
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    thanks for the insight

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc527 View Post
    ... some 3mm climbing cord, that is rated to somthing like 5kn, or like 600 pounds. ... Will having all the force concentrated on a small surface area hurt or tear the hammock?
    600 lb anything is not nearly enough safety margin. And yes, the smaller the surface area or the sharper the angle on a connection, bend, or knot, the more you weaken whatever strength you started with.

To my knowledge, there is no such thing as "3mm climbing cord." The 3mm stuff is "accessory cord," plainly NOT for climbing.

Disclaimers, such as those on the Metolius site, are there for a reason: "Any person using our gear in any manner is personally responsible for learning the proper techniques and good judgment. ... You are responsible for knowing and respecting our products capabilities and limitations. ... Failure to follow these warnings can result in severe injury or death."

You asked. Still, it's your neck and your backbone, and as always, it's "hike your own hike."

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    I did away with the stock rope and biners. I threaded amsteel through the channel ends and its been fine. I'm using rings on the end of the amsteel. All in all its works fine. I would like to switch over to dutch biners and scrap the rings.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast