Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images

Help me with my sleep system...

I Sleep COLD!!! This week, at 35 degrees with mountain snow, no wind, I had what I thought was adequate equipment but still had to work to keep warm.

20 * incubator uq, old thermarest 3/4 (~50*) on bottom, 20* down bag for TQ. I wore wool mid-weight top and bottoms with polartec fleece over, then down sweater over the top. I drank a lot of hot tea ( that I had to deal with at 2am), and used two hot water bottles.

Thanks to Angry sparrow, I have a peapod on the way. I am thinking of the peapod with the incubator for 8" of hot down lovin on my backside. Should keep me toasty to 20* easily. ( and no snide comments about how you could go down to -200 with this set up! :-)

Up top, I am thinking of a burrow or a sniveller to meet the top down of the pod for a total down thickness of 5-6 inches.

Will this keep me warm ( as a cold sleeper) to 10 degrees?

What TQ would you recommend.?

Images
    Dumb question - did you wear a hat in your hammock?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post

20 * incubator uq, old thermarest 3/4 (~50*) on bottom, 20* down bag for TQ. I wore wool mid-weight top and bottoms with polartec fleece over, then down sweater over the top.
    If one wears too many insulating layers of clothing to sleep in, it doesn't allow the actual pad, underquilt and top quilt to do its insulating job. One's body heat needs to make it to the top quilt and underquilt. So it's best to start off wearing the minimum amount of clothing to sleep in and then gradually add clothing as needed.

What did you have on your feet and your head? Down booties are used by most cold weather hangers as well as a winter hat of some sort. Heat escapes the body via any undercovered areas.

Thanks to Angry sparrow, I have a peapod on the way. I am thinking of the peapod with the incubator for 8" of hot down lovin on my backside. Should keep me toasty to 20* easily. ( and no snide comments about how you could go down to -200 with this set up! :-)
    No snide comments are necessary, you've already made it. ;-)

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    Probably not the answer you are looking for but you are going to have to try it out. I too sleep very cold but I have found if my gear is rated for 30 degrees colder then I need then I normally sleep fine. As you stated some people would say your gear is overkill. Some people would say that, but not me. If it was me though I would make sure your gear works for you under controlled conditions before you take it out. Good luck.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I'm also a very cold sleeper. Made a Fronkey version of a hammock sock. Works well at raising the inside temps by at least 10*. Normally sleep in tech type long underwear and a layer of thin fleece. Have been using a 40* UQ with a 20* TQ.
    Next investment is 0* gear. Will also be refining the cold weather sock.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I sleep cold too as does my wife. If it's 30 degrees I will use my 0* or my Peapod, if it 40* outside I will use my 20* UQ.

Tell us more about your cold. Where did it feel cold? Localized? On top of you? All over? was there a particular spot that started to chill you? THis will help us make better recommendations. I get what you want to do with layering your quilts, but I think that once you dial in your setup, your won't need to do all that layering unless you want to go closer to 0*

Sometimes you have to get warm to stay warm. I wear a bunch of down to start off in my hammock: hood, jacket, pants, booties, down mittens. Once I get warm/hot I start taking off items. When you get your peapod this strategy will help you too. Don't just think a peapod will automatically keep you warmer then a good set of quilts will. They have to be rigged right with the bottom of hammock just touching the pod. You don't want any gaps here. Same with your under quilts. Minimize the airspace within the pod. As you take of some garments you can stuff them into the dead air space to make your cocoon a little smaller. Also the hammock you choose will help or hinder the pod. Use one with low walls.

With your current set up you could try a space blanket between your hammock and quilt. This will give you a vapor barrier effect. It will help block wind too. Keep at it. Look and fix any gaps of air, space between your hammock and the quilts. Avoid having sag in your underquilt. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

S

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    The only thing I can add is don't change too many things at once. Try it with the Peapod (I'm betting that's all you'll need), if that doesn't work, change out the sleeping bag for a good TQ, etc. If you change too many things at once, you won't know what worked.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Dumb question - did you wear a hat in your hammock?
    Yep, wore a hat, with my down jacket hat over...

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancat View Post
    Probably not the answer you are looking for but you are going to have to try it out. I too sleep very cold but I have found if my gear is rated for 30 degrees colder then I need then I normally sleep fine. As you stated some people would say your gear is overkill. Some people would say that, but not me. If it was me though I would make sure your gear works for you under controlled conditions before you take it out. Good luck.
    Thanks Mancat. I thought 20* would be sufficient, at least it has been for me when I have camped out before. I just want to see how other cold sleepers do it at 0*. Glad to hear I am not the only one with issues with temperature ratings!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I sleep cold too as does my wife. If it's 30 degrees I will use my 0* or my Peapod, if it 40* outside I will use my 20* UQ.

S
    When do you double up your peapod with another quilt? Temps below 30*?

I just have generalized coldness all the time. I drink hot tea year round, and will heat up a cup whenever we stop for a break on the trail. We ski a lot, and I am comfortable in the snow, but I am moving the whole time.

To clarify, just after getting in is when i am usually most chilled. I use hot water bottles and that really helps! I was sleeping wonderfully by 11pm, and toasty at 3am, which was the coldest time of the night. I am just thinking that I was ok with my set up at that temp with a lot of work (hot water bottles, hot beverages right before bed), and want to know what other cold sleepers do to take it below 30*....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast