Dutch Half Zipped
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Olympic National Forrest

*EDITING POST* I'm going to blame the three glasses of mead for screwing this up

- I'll be going to Washington to the Olympic National Forest and doing a some what short hike to Spike Camp in August with a friend of mine. We're just going to use that as a base camp and then try to see anything and everything worth seeing up there. Was curious if anyone has camped in Spike Camp and what are water sources like? I know there's a river but not sure the distance from where we'll be. It's only two nights but god I can not wait.

I'm in process of upgrading all my gear, ordered a UCQ Bandit XL (30*f 850 with extra fill) and a Hammock Gear Incubator (850 30*f etc)

Anything in that area I should make sure to visit? I don't know this forest very well so I'm hoping I didn't get a permit to a really bad site, if so at least the company and the hammock will rock

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EakinJ View Post
    *EDITING POST* I'm going to blame the three glasses of mead for screwing this up

- I'll be going to Washington to the Olympic National Forest and doing a some what short hike to Spike Camp in August with a friend of mine. We're just going to use that as a base camp and then try to see anything and everything worth seeing up there. Was curious if anyone has camped in Spike Camp and what are water sources like? I know there's a river but not sure the distance from where we'll be. It's only two nights but god I can not wait.

I'm in process of upgrading all my gear, ordered a UCQ Bandit XL (30*f 850 with extra fill) and a Hammock Gear Incubator (850 30*f etc)

Anything in that area I should make sure to visit? I don't know this forest very well so I'm hoping I didn't get a permit to a really bad site, if so at least the company and the hammock will rock
    Far as I can tell, Spike Camp at 3.6 mile in will have bathrooms(out house?) and water. If not, it is still very clos to the river and other streams.
    https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/flapjack-lakes

https://rootsrated.com/stories/home-...-the-skokomish

https://cascadesingletrack.com/Olymp...Rvr/trail.html

Images
    You will be in Olympic National Park, not Olympic National Forest. I would recommend trying to change your reservation from Spike Camp to either Big Log or Camp Pleasant as these are both beside the river and much more scenic. Don't worry if you can't change though, you'll have nice trails to wander from there. Spike Camp has an old outhouse; continue up the trail a very short distance to find a stream (the river is away from here- wouldn't be easy to get to). For a day hike, try the Flapjack Lakes trail- you can continue above the lakes to Gladys Divide as well. Another hike would be continuing on the North Fork Skokomish trail (the one you hiked in on) as far as you like. Another choice would be the Six Ridge trail which ascends steeply to the high country. This trail gets little maintenance & can be hard to follow. There's also the Black& White Lakes way trail which starts from Big Log and climbs steeply to the lakes- a side trail goes to the Flapjack trail so you could do a loop hike. Enjoy!

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zipped
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    You will be in Olympic National Park, not Olympic National Forest. I would recommend trying to change your reservation from Spike Camp to either Big Log or Camp Pleasant as these are both beside the river and much more scenic. Don't worry if you can't change though, you'll have nice trails to wander from there. Spike Camp has an old outhouse; continue up the trail a very short distance to find a stream (the river is away from here- wouldn't be easy to get to). For a day hike, try the Flapjack Lakes trail- you can continue above the lakes to Gladys Divide as well. Another hike would be continuing on the North Fork Skokomish trail (the one you hiked in on) as far as you like. Another choice would be the Six Ridge trail which ascends steeply to the high country. This trail gets little maintenance & can be hard to follow. There's also the Black& White Lakes way trail which starts from Big Log and climbs steeply to the lakes- a side trail goes to the Flapjack trail so you could do a loop hike. Enjoy!
    Ah ok, the thing I was first sent said Forest. I took your advice and contacted them and moved my camp to Camp Pleasant (One I found a video for) looks pretty nice. about 6 miles instead of 3 which is a very good thing.

I am so looking forward to this trip.

I actually updated my entire rig for this trip, got a Wabonnet XLC heavyweight, HG under quilt, UGQ top quilt, already had the tarp, So looking forward to being up there.

Thanks again for the info !! I am extremely excited for this trip

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zipped
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    btw, just realized how completely incorrect the title of the thread is, should be WA, Olympic and not Forrest but forest (and well actually Park) so

yeah. good job Jerry. lol. anyway again thanks for the input on this

• + New Posts