Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images

1/2 3/4 or full underquilt

IM considering the options for under quilts and I'm a little confused about the diforent sizes. What kind of temps do you guys use half 3/4 and full under quilts in?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplenewton View Post
    IM considering the options for under quilts and I'm a little confused about the diforent sizes. What kind of temps do you guys use half 3/4 and full under quilts in?
    3/4 UQ for three seasons and into the 4th. I go to a full UQ when things start staying below 30.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Last winter i did a -15 C (5f) with the Prechers 1/2 UQ

A couple of days afterwards i got the Warbonnet Yetti 3/4 , havn't used it in any respectable temps yet, but it's way warmer.

What I'm trying to say is , you don't really need a full length UQ in cold weather.

Of course i use a simple pad for my feet , though .
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Images
    i used a winter yeti all winter long here in CO, cannibal did too i believe.

the length of the uq doesn't really change anything at all, you can do winter temps with a full length uq, or a full length pad instead, or a combo of both (torso uq/leg pad). the only thing that matters is using a warm enough quilt or pad for the temps. you're still covered head to toe with bottom insulation in all 3 cases.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i used a winter yeti all winter long here in CO, cannibal did too i believe.

the length of the uq doesn't really change anything at all, you can do winter temps with a full length uq, or a full length pad instead, or a combo of both (torso uq/leg pad). the only thing that matters is using a warm enough quilt or pad for the temps. you're still covered head to toe with bottom insulation in all 3 cases.
    That is true. I suppose my above response was based on my limited winters backpacking. A nice thick UQ with a good leg pad is 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other as far as temperatures are concerned. Maybe this will be the year I stay with the 3/4 UQ for the long haul!

Images
    i think it's actually a safer winter setup than full length uq + sit pad actually.

if you're using a pad that covers mid or upper thigh to feet (i usually only use a pad this long in winter), it's going to be long enough to use under your full torso if the temps fall much below your uq rating, then just use pack/whatever to get by for under your lower legs. carrying a reg size sit pad and full length uq doesn't afford this option. being able to add 1/4"ccf to your torso is quite a bit of insurance really, probably good for another 20+deg of warmth at least.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 08-23-2009 at 12:22.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    It's probably due to me being female, but if my feet get cold, I"m FREEZING & not sleeping !!! So I use full length under quilts. Both my summer uq and winter uq are full length. I believe I've read before that women's sleeping bags are also made with the insulation heavyer at different sections than the mens sleeping bags. So what's working for me probably will be overkill for most of you guys.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    so at least for men most of you guys (sorry TL)say 3/4 uq plus leg pad?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, I got through a Colorado winter with a 3/4 length (Yeti); no problems at all. In fact, my mind is already racing ahead to the coming winter and thinking there was some overkill last year. A pad under the legs is certainly a good back-up plan if temps really drop below what you were prepared for, but.... I'll probably carry it for safety's sake, but I'm going to try to avoid using it this year in the hammock. It'll still be nearby if it gets bad, but I'm going to go without as much as possible this year.

I'm also thinking that the 3/4 length might be more than I need too. At least for 3 of the 4 seasons. The Yetis come about mid-thigh on me and I'd like something that just covers me bum. Maybe a hair narrower too. We'll see.

TinaLouise, I suffered frostbite on my feet (particularly the right one) many years ago. The circulation in my feet is not good and that was my very first concern with the short quilts. I took preventative action and carried big ol heavy, but very warm, wool socks to sleep in. I forgot them one trip and was surprised to find they did fine without the socks. Don't know if the effect would be the same for you, but it might be worth trying someday just for fun.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplenewton View Post
    so at least for men most of you guys (sorry TL)say 3/4 uq plus leg pad?
    Pinapplenewton,

Quite the contrary....Given that there are thousands of full length UQ out there, the current fad of fractional UQ is quite small... It just happens to be the in thing to talk about, especially by those following the current hammock design.

The majority of folk have found that a full length UQ is a hassle free approach that matches the comfort and convience approach that is why they went to a hammock in the first place.

Given that the use of fractional UQ usually requires a pad of near half pad size there is little weight saving and probable even extra bulk in the approach... This is especiall true for folk not not needing a large pad to serve as the "frame" of there pack, also this is significant when when a small 10-14 sit pad is quite sufficientfor sitting.

I would beg to differ with WB above, that a fractional quilt is safer because one has a pad to go to ground... Carrying a pad large enough and seasonally thick enough to go to ground is an added weight that anyone can choose to carry if they are unsure of their hammock set up...As a contrast I would offer that the additional coverage of a full length UQ, which also includes much greater side protection on average than minimal fractional UQ...Thus the probability of needing to go to ground, one might argue, is less in the first place...Finally, on the issue of safety, many have been caught out in unseasonable temp drops and found that adding thier small butt pad under the butt or under a shoulder enabled a comfortable safe nights sleep... This type of adjustment is not possible when the sit pad is routinely required for the legs and feet.

It is all a matter of hanging style...

While many of us here have bias on this subject, note that JRB sells not only full length UQ, but a fractional MW3 UQ. We also have a conversion "compliment" UQ to extend the fractional or Short MW3 to a full length UQ...So one has choices in this matter.

What do I personally carry? Full length UQs and as small of a sit pad as practical.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast