WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES

Visiting CO for the first time this March

I got a weekend trip to La Vita CO for the first weekend in March from groupon.com. I did not realize it is 3 hours from Denver where the big REI store is and where the airport is. My gf and I decided to fly to Denver and just rent a car but this was really a spur of the moment thing. I was hoping to get some ideas from you guys as far as things to do, places to hike, and things to see. Again this is only a Friday-Sunday trip but we would like to spend some time out hiking and exploring. We have never been there so any suggestions would be great. Thanks everybody
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CryOTheWild View Post
    I got a weekend trip to La Vita CO for the first weekend in March from groupon.com. I did not realize it is 3 hours from Denver where the big REI store is and where the airport is. My gf and I decided to fly to Denver and just rent a car but this was really a spur of the moment thing. I was hoping to get some ideas from you guys as far as things to do, places to hike, and things to see. Again this is only a Friday-Sunday trip but we would like to spend some time out hiking and exploring. We have never been there so any suggestions would be great. Thanks everybody
    Day trips:

March can be pretty snowy so come prepared or ready to rent.
    Mt Evans ( Echo Lake) is very fun to snowshoe or X country ski.

Waterton Canyon is suppose to re open the first of March. 6 mile hike to the dam.
    Very beautiful canyon hike along the South Platte river on a old railroad bed turned dirt road.

Lair of the Bear trail. Yaktrax's good idea can be icy but beautiful day hike.

If your looking for an over nighter with your hammocks let me know I have a few good spots.
    hth
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-22-2012 at 16:03.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    She doesn't have a hammock yet nor is she quite ready for cold weather camping but she is plenty excited at the idea, just needs to work up to it a little bit. We will probably bring snow shoes, polls, and packs, I'll have the HH with me for sure. I will look into Waterton Canyon.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

LaVeta is a jewell

LaVeta is at 7,000 feet so it will be brisk the first week in March. The 2000 population was about 1,000 people, but recently it has developed a reputation as an artists colony. It is in a beautiful, but remote part of Colorado.

The Great Sand Dunes National Park is any easy drive. Visit the aligator farm while you are at it.

Don't know a thing about the hiking in that area. You drive by a lot of good hiking before you get to LaVeta.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    I'm an artist myself and the art there was part of the draw. Alligators at 7000 feet in winter in Colorado? That I gotta see What can you tell me about the weather out there. Dry? damp? -30 degrees or 30 above? I have never been to that elevation so I am trying to get an idea of what to wear out there.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

temperature

First week of March:

average high- mid forties

average low- mid teens

Alligator farm? Think hot springs.

Forget the hammock - this is a romantic trip. LaVeta is a small town - better shop for the ring before you get there.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CryOTheWild View Post
    I'm an artist myself and the art there was part of the draw. Alligators at 7000 feet in winter in Colorado? That I gotta see What can you tell me about the weather out there. Dry? damp? -30 degrees or 30 above? I have never been to that elevation so I am trying to get an idea of what to wear out there.
    If the Mtns are getting pounded with snow
    Downtown Denver- has a very cool museum of natural history, as well as Art museum. 16th street mall is pretty cool to explore.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    If you head over to the Sand Dunes, stop by Zapata Falls. It is a waterfall that is basically inside a cave. In March, it is probably still frozen over.

Stopping at the historic fort in Fort Garland is also an option with a very historical perspective (a bit biased here as my father built the stage coach there).

Taos is another artists community that is not too far away just over the New Mexico Border.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    Thanks for the great tips. I've got tons of research to do now lol. I'm starting another thread regarding a trip to Washington State now too lol.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Colorado is tough place for a quick trip; too much to see, too much to do!

food's recommendations are good ones! Waterton Canyon is about as easy of a walk as you'll find with some really great scenery. I have never hiked that trail (road!) and not seen wildlife. I've probably walked it about a dozen times and almost always see some big horns near the dam. You can walk in and out in just a few hours time without working too hard. It's basically flat, although you are going up with every step.

I don't know much about the sights south of here. Have not been to LaVeta, but it is on our 'want to see' list. Course, you're always welcome to visit Casa Cannibal while you're here. Also, rental cars at the airport are stupid expensive. If you can get one offsite, you'll save yourself a bunch of cash.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast