Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    XTrekker, Crocs are just one way of dealing with stream crossings, not necessarily essential. I'm bringing them for camp footwear, too. Unless I'm mistaken, WVwanderer will be the only one in the group who has actually hiked here before, and may know something about the stream crossings on Racer Hollow Run.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    XTrekker, Crocs are just one way of dealing with stream crossings, not necessarily essential. I'm bringing them for camp footwear, too. Unless I'm mistaken, WVwanderer will be the only one in the group who has actually hiked here before, and may know something about the stream crossings on Racer Hollow Run.
    Crocs would've been a lot more nice on my feet at our Ohio hang, during the river crossings, those rocks are unforgiving on bare-feet

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Funny I have gone from light weight to comfortable. I don't mind one or two extra pounds nowadays. I use to carry a fifty pound pack. I'm still pretty light though but by no means Uber super light. Extra sock Thanks WV always forget extra socks.

Well I just went through my pack again and now I'm at 18#, all with no water....I need to stop messin with stuff, lol!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Images
    Wish I could join everybody but I'll be working.

FWIW I took a look at XTREKKER's packing list and here's my 2 cents worth for a weekend hike. (I realize some of this will cost money)

That pack is heavy. I use a ULA Circuit pack that weighs 40 oz. That's a huge weight savings right there.

For a weekend, I'd ditch the wood stove and just use the alcohol burner + maybe a campfire. You might need to increase your alcohol a bit.

I love those GI lensatic compasses, but you won't need that for this hike. I'd take a lightweight baseplate type compass instead. My baseplate compass weighs 1 oz.

Maybe ditch the gerber saw? Or see if someone else is bringing one? Or just drag wood into the fire - it's been done before, LOL.

Take already sharped knives / tools and ditch the sharpener for a weekend.

You could probably ditch your sunglasses. Maybe call the Forest service - I don't think there is going to be much snow on the mountains right now. It's been fairly warm here.

Hope you guys have a great time and I'll be hoping to see some pics / vids / when it's over

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleClark View Post
    Wish I could join everybody but I'll be working.

FWIW I took a look at XTREKKER's packing list and here's my 2 cents worth for a weekend hike. (I realize some of this will cost money)

That pack is heavy. I use a ULA Circuit pack that weighs 40 oz. That's a huge weight savings right there.

For a weekend, I'd ditch the wood stove and just use the alcohol burner + maybe a campfire. You might need to increase your alcohol a bit.

I love those GI lensatic compasses, but you won't need that for this hike. I'd take a lightweight baseplate type compass instead. My baseplate compass weighs 1 oz.

Maybe ditch the gerber saw? Or see if someone else is bringing one? Or just drag wood into the fire - it's been done before, LOL.

Take already sharped knives / tools and ditch the sharpener for a weekend.

You could probably ditch your sunglasses. Maybe call the Forest service - I don't think there is going to be much snow on the mountains right now. It's been fairly warm here.

Hope you guys have a great time and I'll be hoping to see some pics / vids / when it's over
    Thanks for the critique UncleClark, it's always welcomed. Most of what you said, I totally agree with and plan to swap out over time. I really wanted to go all wood this time but I decided to bring the alcohol as backup so I may leave some of the fuel behind. Wanted to keep the saw so I could process wood better for my wood stove. Trying to get away from using alcohol all the time. I know its heavier but I want to get used to using wood because I plan to do some long trips in the future. Totally agree the pack is heavy and I plan to get a much lighter Internal frame pack in the future for long trips that have alot of miles. But I really like the external frame so trying to use it on as many trips as I can get away with. Definitely plan on swapping out the compass soon. Its an awesome compass but it is just waaaay too heavy. Perhaps if I was bushwhacking I would keep it. As for the sunglasses, they always go with me because I have a hard time with sunlight even on overcast days. I get headaches from it. On the flip side, I have always had great night vision.

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Lol. One of my test pieces is a wood stove. Bringing a small hand axe. Was thinking of a saw might still as a long term survivability gear. I'll be in at around 50# but I'm used to that weight at greater distances, so functionally I should be fine.

Wow grammar sucks......must be tired.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ataris121 View Post
    Lol. One of my test pieces is a wood stove. Bringing a small hand axe. Was thinking of a saw might still as a long term survivability gear. I'll be in at around 50# but I'm used to that weight at greater distances, so functionally I should be fine.

Wow grammar sucks......must be tired.
    50lbs? Wow...Most I ever hauled was around 44lbs and I struggled bad. I was doing the Three Ridges Hike and ill never make that mistake again..lol..Maybe if I was in better shape it wouldn't have been so bad. Since then I have been under 35lbs every trip and even under 30lbs on some of them. For short distance trips I dont mind my pack weight around 30-35lbs but on longer distance trips I want to get it down to 25lbs total.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps

White Rocks Hike

WV,

I have not hiked this hike before but I read everything I could find about it online. Looking forward to it.
    I though I was going to have the heaviest pack, I was at 30 lbs before food. Luckily I'm dieting to drop a few lbs from my fat a$$ to make up for the heavy pack so the food weight will be on the lighter side.
    This will be my first hike with a hammock, I've been a tent camper in the past.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

cutting tools & navigation aids

I'm bringing a DIY saw made from an 8" reciprocating saw pruning blade. At 2.29 oz., it's a bit less than half the weight of my Mora knife. Those two tools should take care of wood for cookstove and campfire. If it were colder, I'd swap the little saw for a folding buck saw. That's the sensible part of my gear. Then there's the irrational component. I just got a 16 jewel altimeter. It's a step up from my Peet Bros. Model 80 that I've used for years. The new one weighs 3 oz.; the old weighs 1.5 oz. Which will I bring? Both. Which do I need for this hike? Neither. (I will also have map and compass + GPS. My reasoning is that I'm learning how to use these tools, and if I don't practice, I won't have the skills I need when I need them.) There's always a trade-off like this. HYOH.

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast