Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie

I've lost my Amsteel mojo

I was trying to make some continuous loops with some Amsteel and for the life of me I cannot get the ends threaded into the bury. I've done this before by taping the ends before. I've made my whoopie slings and structual ridge line with locked brummels. No problem. But right now I'm just wasting Amsteel trying to get that darn bury.

I don't know what happened. I've done this before. But I can't get that darn bury to work.

I think I'm going to have to sacrifice some dehydrated food to a Bush Buddy stove and then take a few sips of the holy Bourbon to see if I can please the spirit of the Amsteel.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB View Post
    I was trying to make some continuous loops with some Amsteel and for the life of me I cannot get the ends threaded into the bury. I've done this before by taping the ends before. I've made my whoopie slings and structual ridge line with locked brummels. No problem. But right now I'm just wasting Amsteel trying to get that darn bury.

I don't know what happened. I've done this before. But I can't get that darn bury to work.

I think I'm going to have to sacrifice some dehydrated food to a Bush Buddy stove and then take a few sips of the holy Bourbon to see if I can please the spirit of the Amsteel.
    Did you remember to thin the ends down a few strands, before starting the bury?

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH

I use a 'loop turner' from Wal-Mart, as recommended by many here... It makes it literally so easy I found myself wondering 'what were people going about this being difficult for?' I still don't see what the difficult part is.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    I use a 'loop turner' from Wal-Mart, as recommended by many here... It makes it literally so easy I found myself wondering 'what were people going about this being difficult for?' I still don't see what the difficult part is.
    Hmmm, I'm going to have to check that out. It looks like they're only about $5. That's a good deal if it makes my life that much easier.

How do you attach the loop turner to the end such that it's not trying to pull a double width of Amteel through the bury?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    As it turns out, there's a video on the internet for everything I may want to know.

This is great. I didn't even know that this tool existed. Thank you.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Hmmm, I'm going to have to check that out...
    Here you go...loop turner in action.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Hmmm, I'm going to have to check that out. It looks like they're only about $5. That's a good deal if it makes my life that much easier.

How do you attach the loop turner to the end such that it's not trying to pull a double width of Amteel through the bury?
    Try lengthening the taper to as much as 2", so when it's doubled back it's about the same total diameter as the untapered part of the amsteel.

Also, if you use a loop turner or other fairly stiff piece of wire to expand the amsteel, don't hesitate to tug it this way and that to enlarge the opening that you want to pull your tapered end into.

One other thing: if you're making your loops out of amsteel that you've worked with before (i. e. - recycling a piece), you may have already loosened the braid to the extent that when you first push your splicing tool through the center you're catching individual threads instead of passing smoothly between the braided strands. That way lies madness.

Then there's the varying pressure of your fingertips as you milk the amsteel back over the bury. It's a zen thing (i.e. - shut your eyes and trust to the force.)

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Walk away, have a drink of tea or whatever, read the paper, hug the spouse, then go back to your Amsteel, I bet it will work out fine.

Images
    Taper the ends!

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Been using thin metal wire and just folding it around the Amsteel and its been doing great.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast