HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Insulation
    wrapped 2" airpad
    Suspension
    ascenders/biners

valens or rattlesnake point?

I'm heading out Friday night but haven't yet honed in on the location and would like suggestions. Which do you prefer, valens or rattlesnake point and why. Also does anyone have another suggestion as to a spot to hang for the weekend maybe a bit further down the 401 towards Windsor (cut my drive time down!) Looking for nicely treed areas with a view!

Oh, and heated bathrooms is always a plus and will earn you TWO points!
    Last edited by blackd; 11-27-2012 at 15:03.
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
    Mark Twain

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Heated bathrooms.. Valens

Scenic setting and beautiful cliffs.. Rattlesnake

Year-round camping.. Valens

Closed December.. Rattlesnake

I'd recommend Rattlesnake Point. The chance to rig a hammock by the cliff (just for the afternoon of course ) sounds really good.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH Poly Hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Carabiner & Rings
    Hey Chard, is closed just for December?
    Just started hanging in 2012

Hammock
    HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Insulation
    wrapped 2" airpad
    Suspension
    ascenders/biners
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post

I'd recommend Rattlesnake Point. The chance to rig a hammock by the cliff (just for the afternoon of course ) sounds really good.
    i was afraid I'd get a conflicting answer on that. Comfort or scenery, quite the conundrum. I've never been to valens, so i guess ill give that a shot this time and save my hangs in rattlesnake point for a later date, perhaps a stop on the way back.
    Any site recommendations for valens, best view best trees etc or are they all good?
    Mark Twain

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Valens is also closed in December. Since December 1st is Saturday, you may be out of luck for your trip. Call ahead to verify.

Other thing to consider at Rattlesnake is that it is a hike to get to the washroom and the only running water. Valens is also first come first serve at the gate when you arrive. I think Rattlesnake requires advanced reservation.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Insulation
    wrapped 2" airpad
    Suspension
    ascenders/biners
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Valens is also closed in December. Since December 1st is Saturday, you may be out of luck for your trip. Call ahead to verify.

Other thing to consider at Rattlesnake is that it is a hike to get to the washroom and the only running water. Valens is also first come first serve at the gate when you arrive. I think Rattlesnake requires advanced reservation.
    Wow good advice, im going to have to check and hope they are open then!
    Mark Twain

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Valens

Rattlesnake Point

I answered before I checked the sites. Looks like Valens is closed in December and that Rattlesnake is open all season under varying degrees of utilities.

Put it simply, it depends on what you're looking for.

If you're an experienced winter hanger looking for more of a back-country experience then Rattlesnake is the way to go. True you sacrifice some amenities in favour of scenery, but that's fine by me. The washroom's a five or ten minute walk or a one minute drive from camp depending on the nature of your bathroom emergency and we brought big jugs of water for cooking. I believe we camped on site 17 (16?) and it was quite nice. The cliff-top trail was about 5 minutes from camp and you could wander along that for a couple of hours, enjoying some beautiful vistas along the way.

Valen's is much more comfortable, car-camping kind of experience that I'd recommend to anyone just testing the waters of winter hanging or just looking for a simple place to get out and hang. It's just that, for me, there's not too much to do except mill about. Granted you can check out the little lake or walk some trails, but that's about it. Now don't get me wrong, the heated washrooms and showers are a huge attraction (my 20 minute hot shower last Sunday was amazing!!) and the warm building offers an excellent, and sensible, bailout option in case the weather takes a turn for the worse and you find you've gotten in way over your head.

Here's an idea... Do both

As far as other sites between Cambridge and Windsor go, I'm sorry but I haven't really ventured out that way too often.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Insulation
    wrapped 2" airpad
    Suspension
    ascenders/biners
    Valens

Rattlesnake Point

I answered before I checked the sites. Looks like Valens is closed in December and that Rattlesnake is open all season under varying degrees of utilities.

Put it simply, it depends on what you're looking for.

If you're an experienced winter hanger looking for more of a back-country experience then Rattlesnake is the way to go. True you sacrifice some amenities in favour of scenery, but that's fine by me. The washroom's a five or ten minute walk or a one minute drive from camp depending on the nature of your bathroom emergency and we brought big jugs of water for cooking. I believe we camped on site 17 (16?) and it was quite nice. The cliff-top trail was about 5 minutes from camp and you could wander along that for a couple of hours, enjoying some beautiful vistas along the way.

Valen's is much more comfortable, car-camping kind of experience that I'd recommend to anyone just testing the waters of winter hanging or just looking for a simple place to get out and hang. It's just that, for me, there's not too much to do except mill about. Granted you can check out the little lake or walk some trails, but that's about it. Now don't get me wrong, the heated washrooms and showers are a huge attraction (my 20 minute hot shower last Sunday was amazing!!) and the warm building offers an excellent, and sensible, bailout option in case the weather takes a turn for the worse and you find you've gotten in way over your head.

Here's an idea... Do both

As far as other sites between Cambridge and Windsor go, I'm sorry but I haven't really ventured out that way too often.
    Sounds like a plan! I'll check on status of both camps tomorrow and see what my options are i guess. I like the idea of rattlesnake AND like heated bathrooms. Perhaps both IS the way to go! I'll let you know either way and thanks for the responses.
    Mark Twain

Hammock
    HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Insulation
    wrapped 2" airpad
    Suspension
    ascenders/biners
    Ok site #3 is booked at rattlesnake point for Friday thru Sunday,one hanger accompanied by a tent dwelling friend (gotta do my best to convert him). Anyone in the area bored and wants to come visit is welcome.
    Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Have fun and happy hanging!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast