Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    thanks cannibal
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by plowhorse View Post
    hey cannibal, did he say what version he sold for the guy around 375?
    It was the double 1.7, plus a third layer of 1.1. I was awakened last night with many text messages, providing all the details. Just glad I could point our new hanger in the right direction.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Rings/straps
    Images
    That might well have been me. I'm 375 to 400 (depends on the weekend) and just ordered one. Brandon is going double 1.7 with a 3rd layer of 1.1 for added peice of mind. Once I get it I should be able to let you know how it handles a greater than average load.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogg Tyed View Post
    That might well have been me.
    I wasn't going to name names. I hope your BB works for you. I'm eager to find out how you like it.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Rings/straps
    Images
    Well I spent my 1st night in my BB. I'm not sure how warm it was last night (mid 70s high humidity) but I was sweating when I fell asleep and soaked when I woke up at 3am.

I kept sliding toward the foot so I got up and did some adjustments by the time I got back in I was really hot and I had things all out of wack. So I baled and went to the house.
    The good news after 4 hours I was not in pain, very different from my ground experience. Getting in and out of the BB is easy compared to other hammocks I have been in. I had a 1/2 blue pad in the sleeve it stayed where I put it. I think it was warm enough I should have left the pad out. I'm gonna have to wait for slightly cooler weather for further testing.

Hammock
    ENO, ABES
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Camo
    Insulation
    DIY FL Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hogg Tyed,

I'm a big boy as well (325 lbs) and I'd really like to try hammock camping this fall. I have been leaning toward the Clark NX250, but $400 is a lot of jack to spend on a hammock. In looking at your posting, it looks as if the BB would also work for me. That being said, I have three questions for you:

1) What factors played into your decision to go with the BB other than the obvious weight consideration that we both have?

2) How did you go about getting a "custom" BB hammock ordered. Did you simply email the guy via his website? I can't find a lot of information on his website.

3) Do BB hammocks have a top "shield" or cover that will help keep in some warmth in the cooler months. I rarely get cold while camping, but an open screened top doesn't allow for much heat retention.

Thanks!

Spratt

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Spratto-
    I can answer #2 and #3 for you.

2. Yeah, just shoot warbonnetguy a PM here on the forums or send him an email from the web site. He's a wicked cool guy and you shouldn't have any problems. May have to wait a little bit, but no problems.

3. No. I'll throw out a "not yet" too. I know he has been tinkering with some designs and I know at least one person on this forum (not me this time) has a Warbonnet Outdoors overcover. But, we've got this fella named "fin" here on the forums that has been known to make a BB overcover from time to time. I don't know if he's still doing it or not, but I can speak for the quality of them.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 08-20-2009 at 09:13.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by spratto View Post
    Hogg Tyed,

I'm a big boy as well (325 lbs) and I'd really like to try hammock camping this fall. I have been leaning toward the Clark NX250, but $400 is a lot of jack to spend on a hammock. In looking at your posting, it looks as if the BB would also work for me. That being said, I have three questions for you:

1) What factors played into your decision to go with the BB other than the obvious weight consideration that we both have?
    I think I can take this question. I think he probably chose the BB after getting a good look at mine at a hang in June. I'm around 260, and have the 1.7 double BB. We talked about the possibility of adding a third layer for additional weight limit, and told him to shoot a message to warbonnetguy about it. The rest, as they say, is history. To be fair, he was exposed to Clarks, Speers, bridge hammocks, and others before deciding on the BB.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    But, we've got this fella named "fin" here on the forums that has been known to make a BB overcover from time to time. I don't know if he's still doing it or not, but I can speak for the quality of them.
    I do them as time/money/fabric availability/shock cord stock allows, and I do not do them for profit. As a matter of fact, I have never charged a dime for any of the topcovers I have made or even for shipping, much to the chagrin of my better half. I can't continue to do that, or I will go broke, and all of the above is in short supply at the moment, especially the time.

I am testing out a new sewing method/design change to make them even lighter, as well as having a lady at work give me a quote for sewing them for me. But if I have to pay somebody else to do it, then I would have to start charging for them, and I really don't want to do that. It has always just been a "pay it forward" venture for me, but if it cuts into my ability to buy new gear for myself, I will severely limit who I do them for and how often I do them. I would prefer that someone else picked up the design and ran with it - they would have my full blessing and no worries of competition or claims from me. I have also offered the design to Brandon, but I understand why he wants to work out his own model/design (even if I like the simplicity of my design better than his.) I just don't have the time, or the desire to try to make a venture out of these things. But with enough Blackbirds out there now, it would probably turn a buck or two for someone with access to inexpensive/bulk untreated ripstop and the time to sew them. I have a pattern.........

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    as far as the weight limit for the dbl 1.7, I am 350+ and have no problem using it. have slept in it a couple of nights this week, and have had no noticable sag in the material.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast