DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

who knows about good places to hang in northern california?

I've recently had a transfer to another dept at work and after the new year I'll have every weekend off. This is great because my wife and I have mostly had conflicting schedules and now will have the opportunity to do some camping together.
    So my question is, does anybody out there know of some good places to hang in Northern California? Summer and winter.
    I live about 10 miles west of Sacramento.
    Looking to hopefully drive less than 2-3 hours.
    I don't have the gear for both of us to do much of any cold weather camping yet.
    She prefers car camping and day hiking. Although she is not opposed to packing in a short hike to a developed site and day hiking from there. I myself love to hike and just camp off trail and don't mind high mileage days.

Also, I do enjoy learning about the history of the particular places I hike and camp. I know California has a very rich settler, mining and Native American history. So anything you guys might know about these particular places I would be very interested to hear about that as well.

I didn't see too many northern cali hangers listed on the HF google map but I know you're out there...

Hammock
    Dutch hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    HG Underquilts
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I am from Sacramento.
    My quick trips are around Clearlake/Rumsey and Ice House. both around 32 degrees right now.
    Gear testing is done along the Sacramento river, Its a bike ride away.

North West to to coastal red woods. Take longer straps!

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    I like the coastal redwood forests. I'd recommend Frog Lake at Armstrong Grove. That gives you a terrific trip through the valley and wine country before you come into the Russian River valley. Armstrong Grove will steal your breath away.

Images
    You know it could be useful if we posted climate types in this thread. You know for those of us that want a winter hang location that isn't too terribly cold. Just saying inquiring minds *might* want to know.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    Coastal climate is Koppen-Geiger class Csb and Sierras near The Dangler are generally Dsb.

For Armstrong Redwoods average January temperatures ranging from 35F/2C to 56F/13C and July temperatures from 45F/9C to 85F/28C. An inch in a day of rain is about right when it rains, though there's canopy above. The most rainfall in 24 hours was 8.40 inches (213 mm) on February 8, 1960.

Bring a functional tarp when you go to a rainforest.
    Last edited by steveflinn; 12-17-2012 at 18:03.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    So many places to go from where you are. If you go 2-2.5 hours you'll be in the heart of the Sierras. I spent most winters in the Castle Peak area and a good amount of time in the summers around the Lake Tahoe area.

You mentioned CA mining history:

If you go to the south Yuba river there are trails that will lead to into the Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park (the site of what was once the world's largest hydraulic gold mine)

I did a trip in the Plumas national forest (Round Lake near Greenville, ca) this summer and camped not far from a working mine. Didn't know it until I heard the sound of machines starting up in the morning.

A bit further north in the Trinity Alps I often run into folks packing in horse loads of gold panning gear.

Have fun planning your trips and let us know where you end up going.

S

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Desolation Wilderness is awesome during the warmer months and the coast is great for the winter. Welcome to Northern California there is no place equal.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

thanks for the input guys, didn't know I had so many in my neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by pepsiaddict60 View Post
    I am from Sacramento.
    My quick trips are around Clearlake/Rumsey and Ice House. both around 32 degrees right now.
    Gear testing is done along the Sacramento river, Its a bike ride away

North West to to coastal red woods. Take longer straps!
    Excellent, I didn't know I had a forum member so close by
    I've done a fair amount of camping around Lake Berreyessa, beautiful countryside over there If you drive Berreyessa Knoxville road between Clear Lake and Lake Berreyessa you will find a lot of hiking trails and open camping on all the BLM land in between.

Quote Originally Posted by steveflinn View Post
    I like the coastal redwood forests. I'd recommend Frog Lake at Armstrong Grove. That gives you a terrific trip through the valley and wine country before you come into the Russian River valley. Armstrong Grove will steal your breath away.
    +1 on the north coast! A few years ago I went to the Lost Coast in January. Fantastic trip, We had the whole campground to ourselves and the weather was perfect during the daytime. However, strong storms blew in every night. Even collapsing our tent one night(wish I was a hanger back then)

Quote Originally Posted by monkeykoder View Post
    You know it could be useful if we posted climate types in this thread. You know for those of us that want a winter hang location that isn't too terribly cold. Just saying inquiring minds *might* want to know.
    I can agree with that. The temps I would feel comfortable sleeping at would probably be mid thirties. My wife, however is a cold sleeper and she doesn't have as much insulating gear as I do, she could handle overnight lows around 45-50 degrees. Other than that, we can handle rain and we have good tarps/rain jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by steveflinn View Post
    Coastal climate is Koppen-Geiger class Csb and Sierras near The Dangler are generally Dsb.

For Armstrong Redwoods average January temperatures ranging from 35F/2C to 56F/13C and July temperatures from 45F/9C to 85F/28C. An inch in a day of rain is about right when it rains, though there's canopy above. The most rainfall in 24 hours was 8.40 inches (213 mm) on February 8, 1960.

Bring a functional tarp when you go to a rainforest.
    I've found that on the coast it can rain even under the canopy! Hanging at point reyes a very foggy morning led to a steady drip most of the day from all the condensation on the trees.
    Also, what good is a non-functional tarp?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    So many places to go from where you are. If you go 2-2.5 hours you'll be in the heart of the Sierras. I spent most winters in the Castle Peak area and a good amount of time in the summers around the Lake Tahoe area.

You mentioned CA mining history:

If you go to the south Yuba river there are trails that will lead to into the Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park (the site of what was once the world's largest hydraulic gold mine)

I did a trip in the Plumas national forest (Round Lake near Greenville, ca) this summer and camped not far from a working mine. Didn't know it until I heard the sound of machines starting up in the morning.

A bit further north in the Trinity Alps I often run into folks packing in horse loads of gold panning gear.

Have fun planning your trips and let us know where you end up going.

S
    The trails around Castle Peak are great and offer many beautiful vistas. Although last time I was up there I took a wrong turn(Donner Loop trail signs and PCT signs look very similar when you're rushing your way down the trail trying to get to lost lake before sundown) By the time I realized my error it was nearly dusk and I decided to continue on rather than backtrack. Found a great spot though at the end of that trail. Just south of castle peak on the end of a small ridge. Anyways, about 1:30 am, I'm about to put out my campfire and head to my hennessey when I look over and not more than 5 feet away is a mountain lion standing there looking at me! Long story short I hit both the mtn lion and myself with my bear spray and luckily it ran off. I stayed up all night keeping the fire going and remaining vigilant. I come to find out when I get back to the trailhead in the morning that there supposedly is a lions den on the small outcropping just south of castle peak. Have you ever heard of this? the guy I was talking to said that there were probably 4 or 5 of them up there with me
    This is another reason I posted this thread, because I haven't been out camping since and I'm looking for some inspiration and motivation to get back out there.

Quote Originally Posted by garyg763 View Post
    Desolation Wilderness is awesome during the warmer months and the coast is great for the winter. Welcome to Northern California there is no place equal.
    I've been fishing in Wrights lake and Dark lake up near desolation but never hung in that area. Hung out in D.L. Bliss state park on the west side of lake tahoe. The moon was so close and big it seemed as though you could reach out and grab it! I'm loving northern ca! I grew up in Minnesota and have a great passion for the outdoors. I have always hiked, camped, fished as long as I can remember. I just discovered hammock camping a few years ago when researching lightweight solo shelters for a trip to Yosemite. [First time you see that tunnel view down Yosemite valley]=MIND BLOWN!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    straps
    Hi all, great thread! I just found this thread and wondered if anyone is still watching it. I and a friend just started to hang. And I want to do a first backpacking trip and also hang somewhere close to the SF area too. Getting cabin fever, but I am too chicken to try it in 35* weather. Ha, Ha. I have a my WBBB, superfly and TQ, UQs. Ready to go! Really like some of the spots suggested.
    "If you drive Berreyessa Knoxville road between Clear Lake and Lake Berreyessa you will find a lot of hiking trails and open camping on all the BLM land in between. "
    Is the BLM land near Berryeyessa easy to find camp spots?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I've been keeping an eye on this thread as well. Haven't been able to get out there for a while though and I'm gettin some cabin fever myself. There are plenty of spots good for hanging. On the blm website states dispersed camping is allowed. So all you have to do is find a trail and hike until you find a spot to your liking. Although, I don't think campfires are allowed outside of established fire rings. The spots I've camped at are all north of the lake because that's where all the trail access is.
    If you're coming east from the bay area it would probably be best to find your way to hwy 128 going out of Napa. Take a left onto berreyessa Knoxville rd. And head north. Once you get a little past the north end of the lake you will see pull outs on both right and left of the road for trails. While I haven't explored all of them(there are a lot) I've had success in finding a spot on all that I've hiked. When are you thinking of going? We could maybe meet up. First Napa/northern Cali group hang? I would think even 2 forum members = group hang? It would be great to meet another forum member face to face.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast