DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    hmm so much to go with here....
    a bulging disk is best to lay flat with knees(and therefore feet) elevated. picture a s'more, well leave the chocolate out, your vertebrae are the cracker , the disk is the marshmallow. now pinch a side and the marshmallow would squeeze out the other side. welcome to a bulging disk. beware the side you "trapped " pinching the marshmallow as well.
    flat and firm is the best way to take pressure off the disks evenly.
    scoliosis is a lateral (sideway, think left to right) curvature to the spine. the spine curves 3 times in the body(not including sacrum) and these are front to back curves, the neck, mid back (usual scoliosis is here) and then lower back. with a scoliosis I think hammocking can aggravate it quickly ESPECIALLY if stretches and strengthening that were prescribed are not done regularly. if you have a large enough hammock for a true diagonal with no pressure to push the head and feel back to centre (of hammock), I would think a bridge hammock would be ideal for that, I am told it is a flat lay, no shoulder squeeze.
    as for anybody with a body that has...hmmm...an infirmity, seek a good physical therapist, or medical doctor. preferably someone who isn't old fashioned as they would not understand us hammockers. there are many medical situations that aren't deal to sleep in a hammock, I do not believe scoliosis should be one on its own, but with the other.... changes that can occur from it....
    I will leave it at that.
    yes, I work in a rehabilitation hospital providing therapy...so the info is good.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brambor View Post
    ...an AT hiker who has been on the trail for over 6 months now...
    Seems like his pack, pack weight, and poor posture might be more likely culprits. Six months is a long while to carry a pack.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    A historical perspective: Since time immemorial many native people of the Americas have slept on hammocks their entire lives, and their backs stay straight and strong. I lived among them for a while, and they could outwork me three-to-one any day. Here's a bit of video documentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MHK...U&noredirect=1

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    Quote Originally Posted by brambor View Post
    Howdy. Just wanted I throw it out there for discussion. I've been reading a post from an AT hiker who has been on the trail for over 6 months now, hammocking most of the time. His last post said that he thinks that perhaps his hammocking may be contributing to curving of his spine (what ever he meant by that)
    I think perhaps the weight of his pack during that 6-months of physical effort was more to blame...

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

Prolonged Hammocking = Curvature of the spine?

Must be close to two years full time for me with no back pain. On a side note I slept on a bed at a hotel for a wedding and got heartburn every night I was there.
    Carpe noctem!!

I can only speak from my perspective, but my hammock gave me back my sleep, rest and relaxation that had been missing for more than two years. Mine is a combination of bad rotator cuffs, open heart surgery, total knee replacement and a life time habit of sleeping on my stomach. By the time all of these factors piled up, I couldn't sleep on my stomach, or either side without discomfort or actual pain. My hammock amounted to a magic carpet for me, and that I could have a comfortable night's sleep and waken rested was an unexpected and glorious surprise. Camping alone for four nights and looking forward to dark so that I could go to bed and then sleeping for 10 to 12 hours, well that was my signal to give up the torture platform. Best personal choice I'v made in years. Another thing, no noticeable adverse physical problems as yet, but I'm only at two years here.

Images
    One more personal perspective: Degenerative disk, bone spurs and calcification all in one spot of my lower back. Things I can't do when not in the hammock - wake up without soreness in my back, knees and shoulders, I cannot nap during the afternoon sitting in my chair or on the couch or bed. Just won't happen.

When I sleep in my hammock - I sleep pretty much the whole night through, wake up without pain in my knees, back or shoulders and at any point in the day I can lay in the hammock and in 5 - 10 minutes, I'm napping soundly for the next 1 - 2 hours (sometimes more). This generally after a day of exertive hiking or other trail activity.

Every person is different and long term use of anything will have differing results. For me, it has proven to be a great reliver of pain and has added a higher quality to my general lifestyle. Will it always be that way? Only time will tell. I'm gonna smile the whole flippin' way testing it out.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Zpacks
    Insulation
    Just enough!
    can't be any worse than the hours we spend sitting every day! probably much better, for that matter!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    When I speak with folks about hammocks, I describe the lay as being "ergonomically flat," which may still be a little misleading. Legs and knees are often elevated, but the torso is more or less "flat" taking into account the undulating surface that matches the body shape, thus minimizing pressure points.

My own personal experience mirrors what other have said: sleeping in a hammock has reduced back strain, pain, and aches. I prefer hammocks with less stretch, especially for improved shoulder comfort.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Not sure why your pointing this out since I didn't say anything about 'flat' or even flatlike.

I did mention, however, that lying in the hammock that gives the "banana look" is also giving the body a curve in the hammock, eluding that the "pronounced" curve may not be the best for the body and for comfort.

Some like a very hard surface, floor or board like, others a very soft surface and everything in between.

I did mention that the diaganal lay in a hammock may be the best use of the hammock for comfort.

Of course, not for all. My wife loves to rest but cannot sleep in a gathered end due to her leg and knee discomfort. I think a bridge may be in her future.
    For your Wife, I purchased a thermarest camping pillow that I take with me due to bad knees and I sleep with it under my knees and it helps greatly. Just a thought...
    http://www.amazon.com/Thermarest-Com...camping+pillow
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast