Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cheap underquilt

Hey all! This is my first post here, so please let me know if I'm doing this wrong or if I need to post more information. I'll try to be thorough.

I have a hammock (CampIsEasy double), I have my eye on a decent rain fly, but I haven't found an under quilt that fits my needs yet. Here is what I'm looking for in an under quilt:
    1. Cheap: Under $50 would be ideal, I could stretch it above that a little. Price is the reason I don't have an under quilt yet. I've looked at a lot of the DIY stuff, and I have zero sewing experience and no old gear to recycle into an under quilt. I could possibly get somebody I know to sew it if there was a solution that fits.
    2. Light-ish: I want to take it backpacking, so lighter is better, but I realize that cheap means it won't be as light and I'm fine with that
    3. Compactable: Has to fit in a 60L backpack with everything else
    4. Temp: I don't see myself going below freezing

I've also looked at sleeping pads, but I'm a side sleeper and I just really don't see it going very well. Any help is appreciated, please let me know your thoughts!

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Honestly your best bet is to start saving! I found one of those 50 deals on Ebay and all I got was a glorified sleeping bag. Watch the for sale posts here and in the backpack gear flea market on Facebook for deals . For a little over 100 you can get a hammock gear econ line bag. That's really the cheapest I have found and I am on a budget too!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    Honestly your best bet is to start saving! I found one of those 50 deals on Ebay and all I got was a glorified sleeping bag. Watch the for sale posts here and in the backpack gear flea market on Facebook for deals . For a little over 100 you can get a hammock gear econ line bag. That's really the cheapest I have found and I am on a budget too!!!!
    I 100% agree. I am a cold sleeper so I am a little biased here but you get what you pay for and I made an UQ using a Costco down throw and found I am cold under 60 degrees so even though you don't see yourself going below freezing, you still want a relatively good UQ. Not only is the HG Econ UQs pretty cheap, but the quality of their quilts are excellent.

Images
    I agree with saving and buying a good quality item. Something you won't regret. By trying to scrimp on an underquilt, I think you'll only be disappointed and either not enjoy your time in the hammock or end up buying something better, when you could have just bought that item in the first place. In the meantime, you could use an inexpensive closed cell foam pad for under insulation.

The Hammock Gear econ line of down filled quilts is one good place to look, as mentioned by others.

Another good option is the Jarbidge synthetic underquilt from Arrowhead equipment. A 3 season model should cover you down to 25 degrees and costs $100. The lead time to receive it once you've ordered is likely to be significantly shorter than the Hammock Gear quilt, if that's a consideration.

https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/...nderquilt.html

Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhiker View Post
    I 100% agree. I am a cold sleeper so I am a little biased here but you get what you pay for and I made an UQ using a Costco down throw and found I am cold under 60 degrees so even though you don't see yourself going below freezing, you still want a relatively good UQ. Not only is the HG Econ UQs pretty cheap, but the quality of their quilts are excellent.
    Thanks both of you, I think I might end up waiting and saving up for the HG Incubator. What is your experience with the temp ratings on those? The website allows you to pick a rating, have you found that those are fairly accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I agree with saving and buying a good quality item. Something you won't regret. By trying to scrimp on an underquilt, I think you'll only be disappointed and either not enjoy your time in the hammock or end up buying something better, when you could have just bought that item in the first place. In the meantime, you could use an inexpensive closed cell foam pad for under insulation.

The Hammock Gear econ line of down filled quilts is one good place to look, as mentioned by others.

Another good option is the Jarbidge synthetic underquilt from Arrowhead equipment. A 3 season model should cover you down to 25 degrees and costs $100. The lead time to receive it once you've ordered is likely to be significantly shorter than the Hammock Gear quilt, if that's a consideration.

https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/...nderquilt.html
    My only concern with the Jarbridge is that it seems to be only 3/4 length. That seems like a deal-breaker to me, am I wrong making that assumption?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use 3/4 UQs down to 30* F. Anything colder, and I use a full-length 0* Incubator. In the past, I took my 20* Phoenix down to 13* F, but decided against that as my feet got too cold.

Though I've never owned a Jarbidge, I know a lot of people who have, and they all say it's good to 25* F.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I use 3/4 UQs down to 30* F. Anything colder, and I use a full-length 0* Incubator. In the past, I took my 20* Phoenix down to 13* F, but decided against that as my feet got too cold.

Though I've never owned a Jarbidge, I know a lot of people who have, and they all say it's good to 25* F.
    That's really good to know, thanks! But how do your feet stay warm in a 3/4 UQ, especially at 30* F?

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    I saved money to get the HG Econ Phoenix. Couldn't be happier! It is light and packs small.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nateweger View Post
    That's really good to know, thanks! But how do your feet stay warm in a 3/4 UQ, especially at 30* F?
    Well, many will say that you just need to use a ccf or similar pad in the footbox of your TQ to add insulation to your 3/4 UQ. I've tried this, and it just doesn't work for me. However, I know from experience that my feet are just fine using a 3/4 UQ down to 30* F.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast