Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images

Asymmetrical Experiment

I started witha piece of hemmed fabric 120 x 53.
    Next I divided the end into thirds and placed a marker one third from the right edge.

Then folded each side OVER to the mark.

Now fold the newly created edges UNDER to the mark. Use some kind of clip to hold in place.

Fold UNDER again.

Fold short side UNDER 1 more time and long side 2 more times.

You should have a thick set of folds and a thin set connected by a thin piece of fabric. Fold the two sides UNDER bringing them together.

go to the other end and do the same thing. marking 1 third from the right side, making it a mirror image. Whip both ends however you prefer. The edges of the fabric will be to the outside of the folds and you can pull them out a little farther than the rest of the folds to raise the sides a little. Remember the more you pull the sides the less useable fabric you will have to lay on.

You can see in the last photo that folding this way causes the centerline of the fabric to run at a diagonal across the hammock, creating a little more slack on one side, and the opposite side on the other end. This method works pretty good, but I think there must be a better way. If you see any improvements, please post! Comments and criticism welcome.

Images
    Someone on WB was looking into making the same type of hammock based on the HH patents. If you are not him, look up Speedy on WB. In one of his posts he came across the patents which contained a lot of the measurments and designs.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Thanks for the tip! Found the other patent for the asym hammock, but I am having trouble getting the images to load. Will keep trying. Again, Thanks

Images
    Here is the link to the thread mentioning it. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17286

Keep us posted on what you find. My sewing machine is going to be coming out this week for my first homemade speer style hammock. I have enough ripstop to make one speer and one Asym to compair.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Awesome. I have been trying to think about how I would do this. I can not wait to try it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I just got done trying this and it was a little better then the one I made before and it works better for a Asymmetrical design. I wish I could get a little more Asymmetrical out of it though.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I just got done trying this and it was a little better then the one I made before and it works better for a Asymmetrical design. I wish I could get a little more Asymmetrical out of it though.
    Did you start out with a rectangle? You might be able to get more asym if you do not start with a perfect rectangle. I forget the proper trig name for it, but have the non-asym corners greater than 90 degrees and the aysm sides less than 90. This would give more material along the diagonal. This may or may not be a good idea. I have some $1 yd cotton material that I may try this on.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Did you start out with a rectangle? You might be able to get more asym if you do not start with a perfect rectangle. I forget the proper trig name for it, but have the non-asym corners greater than 90 degrees and the aysm sides less than 90. This would give more material along the diagonal. This may or may not be a good idea. I have some $1 yd cotton material that I may try this on.
    Yes I started out with a rectangle. I am to afraid to cut it right now until I know how to cut it or have seen directions on how it should be cut.

A cord/non-fabric travel hammock

Please would someone let me see the scematics for the above style hammock?? please E mail me: [email protected] thank you

I have an idea but don't know if it will work. This article got me to thinking. I put it on paper but I don't have a way to show it on the computer so I'll try to explain my thoughts. I started by drawing a rectangle labeled 60" across the top and bottom then 120" down each side. From the upper right hand corner of my drawing I drew a straight dotted line to a point I estimated to be 6" outside of the rectangle, 36" down from that upper right hand corner. Then a straight dotted line from that point to the bottom right hand corner of the drawing. I then did the same on the other side but I started at the botton left hand corner moving up the drawing. Then I thought if a piece of material was cut along the dotted lines on the sides and the normal end lines then folded like Arkwater has shown in this article. Then maybe just maybe we would have an assm shaped hammock with possibly 6"-12"more room from side tieout point to side tieout point. Is this shape called a trapizoid? I'm not sure. What do you think? Could it work? Has someone else already tried it? My interest in this is, I have a HH but would like just a few more inches of room to lay flat with the assm angle. Of course maybe just a longer hammock would give a longer assm laying area. Oh Well just some thoughts. tnhillbilly

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast