Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Nothermark I agree to a point, per the NE rope site you posted they state the:
    Working Loads:
    No blanket safe working load (SWL) recommendations can be made for any line because SWL's must be calculated based on application, conditions of use, and potential danger to personnel among other considerations. It is recommended that the end user establish working loads and safety factors based on best practices established by the end user's industry; by professional judgment and personal experience; and after thorough assessment of all risks. The SWL is a guideline for the use of a rope in good condition for non-critical applications and should be reduced where life, limb, or valuable property is involved, or in cases of exceptional service such as shock loading, sustained loading, severe vibration, etc. The Cordage Institute specifies that the SWL of a rope shall be determined by dividing the Minimum Tensile Strength of the rope by a safety factor. The safety factor ranges from 5 to 12 for non-critical uses and is typically set at 15 for life lines.

If you look at the last line that I had underlined it states that the safety factor has a range of 5-12 then 15 for "Life Safety"! So I think its safe to say/assume that some don't see the term "Life Safety" relative to hammock hanging, which is why the use of ropes such as Dynaglide in a hammock suspension is being done!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Not sure if I can answer your question but I can say that a long time ago WV gave me a loop turner (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Loop-Turne...i_sku=19757943) as I was having some issues with splicing, and what a difference it made for me! Others find the use of wire, fid's (of different sizes) or some other thing make splicing much easier! YMMV of course

Sorry I should have added that my use of the loop turner was for dynaglide, and I've only spliced that, 7/64 and 1/8 Amsteel! So I am not sure if the hook of the loop turner will work with anything smaller than Dynaglide! But I am sure that WV could advise on that (he's the splicing master)!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Sorry I should have added that my use of the loop turner was for dynaglide, and I've only spliced that, 7/64 and 1/8 Amsteel! So I am not sure if the hook of the loop turner will work with anything smaller than Dynaglide! But I am sure that WV could advise on that (he's the splicing master)!
    Looking at the picture it appears thats the same one WV gave me now two years ago and i have used it to slpice dynaglide and amsteel. The reason I have found it to work with Amsteel is due to the tapering of the burried end. Its a great splicer.

P.S. this is more effective if you taper the cord before splicing
    Last edited by lazy river road; 04-24-2012 at 10:43. Reason: P.S.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I've used my loop turner to splice mason's line. It's not as easy as the bigger stuff, but it works.

I did have to file down the little pin that acts as the pivot for the clasp (or whatever it's called) so it wouldn't catch, though.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Good, clear info, Nothermark. Thanks. Learning to splice with larger diameter polypro rope is a good idea.

I suppose the 15:1 safety recommendation for "critical applications" makes sense, but then even 7/64" Amsteel wouldn't do for hangers who weigh more than 107 lbs. HYOH, but carefully.
    I know why I use 1/8. ;-)) Seriously, I am a big believer in HYOH but know the tradeoffs when making decisions. That is why I can get a bit obsessive about some things.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I know why I use 1/8. ;-)) Seriously, I am a big believer in HYOH but know the tradeoffs when making decisions. That is why I can get a bit obsessive about some things.

It's all good, hope you didn't feel like I was attacking you (as that was never my intention) I just wanted to post the info up so there wouldn't be any controversy!

You have the right idea though, you made the decision of what's best for you! Some have a hard time doing that, or they try and make others mind up for them!

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock
    Insulation
    UQ/sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Dyna Glide has a breaking strength of 1000lbs. tensile strength; or a 225lb. person. That's pretty good for most people.

Hammock
    Eno Double nest
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Nothermark raises a good point. I plan to be a bit more selective of my hanging sites when I switch to Dynaglide.
    Again, back to personal decisions and YMMV stuff. The large majority of folks are hanging on something stronger than Dynaglide. That being said, there are quite a few that successfully use it.
    I truely don't want to start an arguement and mean this as a discussion point.... But, a lot of people use 550 cord too and manage not to kill themselves. I think the 550 users are nuts and are pressing their luck. On the other hand, how does the strength of most hammock nylon compair to the dynaglide?
    I'm still using 7mm accessory cord and am looking to make the chamge to whoopies. I'm not in a big rush because I'm not worried about weight (of rigging) and am making the change for the "cool new hardware" factor.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    There is, without doubt, a lot of lousy cordage out there. The foreign source doesn't matter. That we allow retailers in the US to sell us such stuff should.

Among such stuff is cordage made up "mixed fibers", a tell that the cordage is not necessarily homogeneous. So parts of it may be stronger, even very much stronger than other parts. Which can lead to testimonials here and elsewhere about how wonderful it is.

But, defects in cordage can show up with time, from fatigue that takes time to have its way, and it can show up seemingly random weaknesses in the cord, such as where, by chance, more than one strand ended or where more than one weakness coincided.

So: 7mm cord? Nobody knows what it is, how strong it is and whether your experience with it will be the same, with the same use, as someone else's.

All of the above doesn't have to be read as gloomy: Maybe you can find someone who doesn't wish to bother to splice perfectly good sections of expensive cordage together, using prescribed, tested, and proven methods. But, I do mean that quality cordage is not easy to find at any big-box stores.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    To answer your question, there are not many hammocks "rated" to 500lbs or more. I think this discussion you just read through is a moot point as far as the ultimate goal is concerned. If my hammock will only hold 225lbs, why do I need a string rated for 1800? The only two reasons I don't use paracord is because it stretches and dynaglide is lighter. I personally know that my hammock will rip in half before my suspension does.

People tend to get a little carried away sometimes with numbers and pushing their own agendas, that they forget the seductive goal...string it up and hang out...

Btw, I was on business last week to Saipan and a coworker used paracord to hang his hammock. His hammock held him all week no problem.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast