Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FireCaptain, I really like that setup. I'm 210lbs and my 1st thought was I'm not sure 2x2's would hold me. But you're 220 and haven't had a problem so that puts that worry to bed. Your set up definitely fits my criteria.

Harpo, I like where your heads at. That was my 1st thought. Like you I was thinking a simple arbor. I talked to the wife and she started getting all excited. You could build a big arbor and we could put a patio underneath it, then you could make one of those old school fire places, and on and on and on.

So I had to put the kibosh on that. Any minor project like this will turn into an expensive extravagant ordeal. Sticking to something I can put up and take down that doesn't look like a lot of work went into it will work out best.

Thanks Warbonnet, I'll check that out after work tonight

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    In the even there are no trees that is how I pitch on the ground. I use my trecking poles as the verticals. Flip them upside down and poke them through the eye rings at the bunched ends of my hammock then tie it out. works really well, if you sleep on the ground...

Images
    Firecaptain, thanks for the post it has given me some tips for my attempt which has a canoe pole at either end and in consequence three tie-outs at each end! The 2x2 size is an eye opener - I figured on much larger dimensions - and will definately pinch your idea.
    How do you join the ridge line at its centre, inside the pvc pipe?
    Alan

you have two delimas...

one. no poles or trees to hang from. easily fixed.

two. you own 10 acres that your wife won't let you use as you see fit. easily fixed

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

One more thing ...

Plant some trees! You won't believe how quickly 10 years can go by.

Hammock
    Tinker T-7 / ENO DN / WBBB
    Tarp
    Winters Dream v2
    Insulation
    JRB HR / Jarbidge
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpback View Post
    Firecaptain, thanks for the post it has given me some tips for my attempt which has a canoe pole at either end and in consequence three tie-outs at each end! The 2x2 size is an eye opener - I figured on much larger dimensions - and will definately pinch your idea.
    How do you join the ridge line at its centre, inside the pvc pipe?
    Alan
    The ridgepole is (2) 6' 2x2 that do not connect in the middle, the pvc pipe just hold the ends, that is why it has a slight bow in the middle.. I have a line connected from each set of legs under the ridgepole that keeps tension inward (see the last pic in my first post). The rachet straps keep the outward tension. All I do is....set the anchors approx 30 ft apart, setup up the a-frame ends, lift up the center 2x2s, slide pvc over, attach line from side a to side b, attach racket straps, tension, done. It takes about 5 minutes including setting the anchors, in sand.

Warbonnetguy, I looked at the pictures of your setup and that's exactly what I was trying to illustrate. Is the aluminum teletubing 3 pieces? If you don't mind me asking, did you get this on line or local?

The dyneema does sound like a better route than the ratchet straps to eliminate stretch.

The Easton .742 pole may be adequate for my 210lb body but I think I'll stick with the overkill just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your time

I am working on a design just like this. I used 1" 6061-t6 aluminum square tube. The tube holds fine, but the stakes do not with my 240#.

My stakes in average topsoil will not hold!! Frustrated. Is anyone successful using stakes??

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by james90755 View Post
    I am working on a design just like this. I used 1" 6061-t6 aluminum square tube. The tube holds fine, but the stakes do not with my 240#.

My stakes in average topsoil will not hold!! Frustrated. Is anyone successful using stakes??
    There has been success with Super Stakes, here's a link...

http://www.minntrapprod.com/catalog/...th=509_293_503

Here are a couple videos my a member here named XexorZ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URlnQWULzG8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrt75..._order&list=UL
    Last edited by ChrisH; 01-30-2011 at 03:56.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast