Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    don't quote me but I could've swore somewhere around here I saw you get about 5 degrees for every ounce of overstuff on 900fp down. Again, I'm pulling from memory from way back but that should be a close ballpark.
    That's oversimplifying. Different size quilts require different fill adjustments.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

sorry, on a 5" baffle... probably less degrees on a 3 1/2" baffle.. still more than 1 degree per ounce though

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    I am really burned out at work and cannot think in big words right now.
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I think that talking about a % of overstuff would be a better question. An ounce of down is only relative to the size of the quilt.

IMO after about 30% overstuff you will gain more warmth with a taller baffle (more loft) as opposed to adding more down to the existing baffle size.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The only real example I have for overstuffing down quilts are the UQs and TQs TeeDee made for us.

He used Ed Speers 900 fp down.

The baffles are all 4" on both the TQs and the UQs.

He used 10% overstuff on all of the down quilts except the leg portion of the UQs which have zero overstuff.

All of the TQs and UQs ended up with 5.5" of loft between the baffles. He said that he had no idea what the actual loft would end up being, but that since he was using a 10% overstuff, he was pretty sure the final loft would be more than the baffle height.

In TeeDee's and my opinion, the overstuffing is probably more effective for a Karo Step quilt in adding loft over and above that of the baffle height. I think this is probably because there are fewer and more widely spaced baffles to constrain the loft. Also, I think the overstuff in a Karo Step quilt works to hold down down migration. Thus a Karo Step quilt is not only easier to make, but with overstuff it is just as effective as a traditional baffle arrangement.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    I think that talking about a % of overstuff would be a better question. An ounce of down is only relative to the size of the quilt.

IMO after about 30% overstuff you will gain more warmth with a taller baffle (more loft) as opposed to adding more down to the existing baffle size.
    Couple points first, Hangout is right that after 25-30% one is better off going to taller baffles and the correct fill for that height.

Stated another way, It is more efficient and generally less costly per oz of down to go to a winter quilt than over stuff a three season quilt...

Example at $20 per oz OS adding 3 oz of OS costs $60 upcharge while a winter quilt in the same model will be 5 oz more down in taller baffles and be only $50-60 more depending on the model in question and be a solid 20* or more temp range.

FWIW, OS value is limited to more like 1-2* per oz than any estimates of 5 * or so.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Gravity plays only a small and insignificant role and in this? No significant difference in treatment of the top quilt from that of the underquilt?

Also, does overstuffing of the top quilt not affect drape? Even forty years ago consumer testing organizations were attributing superiority of some quilts and blankets as part of ordinary bedding just to drape, for which, as a class, down was superior to synthetics. Thats how great convection losses are.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    On the backpackinglight test for 3 season down jackets, it was mentioned (in a crazy scientific way) the down could be compressed up to 3x its natural loft without losing any insulating value. I don't know how true this is and how much it pertains to this thread.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    On the backpackinglight test for 3 season down jackets, it was mentioned (in a crazy scientific way) the down could be compressed up to 3x its natural loft without losing any insulating value. I don't know how true this is and how much it pertains to this thread.
    That's a bit of info I have been curious about as well... Exactly how much compression needs to happen before negatively effecting the warmth. This would matter when layering, whether shells over a coat or nesting quilts or bags.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
    Are you taunting me?

In the first 4 days this week I have already put in 16 extra hours and I came in an hour early this morning as well. I have a planned campout with my son beginning tonight. All I ask is to leave on time and not to have to come in to work tomorrow. All week, I have been looking forward to nothing more than a good nap after lunch tomorrow. Is that really too much to ask.

Frankly, I am just thankful you didn't throw "Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis " at me. Depending upon the source, this is the longest word in a major dictionary. Yours wasn't a real word.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast