Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's good to hear you aren't throwing in the towel just yet!
    No I decided I'm gonna make a hammock, one style or another, the only way to camp! I did a practice, adjustment, hang in my WBBB last weekend in the back yard with the Wife in a tent. I climbed in the tent a few times and laid on the Ultralight Cot and still could barely climb back out after an hour or so.......that was enough of the ground for me.

Working on several, suggested, adjustments with the WBBB but still no love.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Another option is to make your own bridge---a grizz bridge is actually pretty simple, once you cut thru all the math!
    There's the crux,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(did I not mention I was an idiot) and the Wife will let me no where near the Singer.
    I did buy a Jacks R Better BMBH UL from an inmate here and can't wait to try it out.
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post

There's the crux,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(did I not mention I was an idiot) and the Wife will let me no where near the Singer.
    I did buy a Jacks R Better BMBH UL from an inmate here and can't wait to try it out.
    Hey what size are you? What made you decide against the WBRR? I have the WBRR, and an original model BMBH and also a UL BMBH. I am 6'1" up and down between 205-221 lb, current about 212. I'm fine in the BMBH UL, but if I was a whole lot bigger the UL would probably not be my 1st choice. A double layer WBRR probably would be, as it is much wider and the double layer boosts weight rating.

I just want to prepare you for the shoulder problem, though not a problem for me, or at least not much of one. 1st time I got in my BMBH- one of the 1st to hit the market, I thought" Whoa Nelly, that is shoulder squeeze and I don't like that! Plus I thought it was unstable(wrong!) and since I didn't have an UQ( I had a PeaPod and HHSS), I had no clue how I would insulate it ( I did not yet realize how wonderful it was with a pad at least compared to other hammocks). Bottom line, I panicked and sent it back for a full refund while I was still in a no questions asked time period.

I later thought I had been rash and got another one and gave it a longer time for getting used to it, and I still have it about 6 years later. Some of my most comfy nights in a hammock have been spent in it. But it is definitely different in the shoulders. The UL has a bit more room, but still you might think it is not enough room.

If I lay on my back in my bed or recliner, and then cross my arms across my chest/belly as I usually do anyway, then this approximates my shoulder position in the original BMBH, with the hammock fabric just contacting my shoulders. Or, my shoulders relax down into contact with the fabric. Not actual squeeze, but a contact. My shoulders assume the shape of the U or V shaped hammock, which is essentially the same shape as when I cross my arms over my chest in a bed or recliner. I think the UL, being more shallow, has a little more room, but I still notice this effect. So don't be too quick to judge it. You might be like several of us who say " oh yeah, my shoulders are forced into a curved position, but it's mighty dang comfy anyway!". Plus of course, if the shoulder thing is just too much for you, just turn very slightly on your side, or of course all the way on your side.

You will also find this one of the easiest hammocks to insulate with a quilt. Though it does not have a pad pocket, I suspect it would still work pretty well with a pad.

Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
    No I decided I'm gonna make a hammock, one style or another, the only way to camp! I did a practice, adjustment, hang in my WBBB last weekend in the back yard with the Wife in a tent. I climbed in the tent a few times and laid on the Ultralight Cot and still could barely climb back out after an hour or so.......that was enough of the ground for me.
    If you have to buy your own thread injector. My favorite hammocks are either very short (9' or less) or very long (13') these provide me with the most comfort. I am about 6', 190 lbs. I enjoy a variety of hammocks, but as far as the calf ridge is concerned, both the very short lengths (search for ghost hammock) and the very long lengths either eliminated the calf ridge issue, or moved it to a location where it was no longer an issue.

By making your own, you can try multiple variations without a lot of expense, and you won't feel guilty about keeping the ones you like and re-purposing the material from the ones you don't. Also, if you make your own, my personal preference has been to create a triple stitched channel for the gathered end rather than whipping, though others may dispute this.

Michael

Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hey what size are you? What made you decide against the WBRR? I have the WBRR, and an original model BMBH and also a UL BMBH. I am 6'1" up and down between 205-221 lb, current about 212. I'm fine in the BMBH UL, but if I was a whole lot bigger the UL would probably not be my 1st choice.I just want to prepare you for the shoulder problem
    If I lay on my back in my bed or recliner, just turn very slightly on your side, or of course all the way on your side.

You will also find this one of the easiest hammocks to insulate with a quilt. Though it does not have a pad pocket, I suspect it would still work pretty well with a pad.

Good luck!
    thanks for your reply and thoughts. I am about 6'3" @ 230 (or so) lbs. I know I am right at the height/weight limit om the BMBH UL but think(hope) it works. I have a Hammock Gear Incubator long UQ and think it will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by vampiresmiley View Post
    If you have to buy your own thread injector. My favorite hammocks are either very short (9' or less) or very long (13') these provide me with the most comfort. I am about 6', 190 lbs. I enjoy a variety of hammocks, but as far as the calf ridge is concerned, both the very short lengths (search for ghost hammock) and the very long lengths either eliminated the calf ridge issue, or moved it to a location where it was no longer an issue.

Michael
    Yeah,, not to sure about making my own but may talk the Wife into trying one. I think a long of some sort may be an option. Really hoping the BMBH UL I have just bought works out

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Did you ever get with gmcttr to try his hammocks? I was waiting in anticipation of your thoughts on the 11 footers. I have one and just love it. I too tried the WWBB and it wasn't for me. I also don't like integrated bug nets either. I move around a lot in my sleep and cant handle a one position type hammock plus I woke up once staring at the ground in the BB because I was on the net!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Did you ever get with gmcttr to try his hammocks? I was waiting in anticipation of your thoughts on the 11 footers. I have one and just love it. I too tried the WWBB and it wasn't for me. I also don't like integrated bug nets either. I move around a lot in my sleep and cant handle a one position type hammock plus I woke up once staring at the ground in the BB because I was on the net!
    No I have not. we made contact but have yet to get together, I have bought a bridge hammock, from an inmate here, and awaiting on delivery. I think the bridge will work but I do want to try, and own if it works, an 11 foot gather end.
    Working slowly all this but getting near a happy camper

Curious how you're making out with this. I'm just getting started with hammock sleeping and I'm still sleeping on my ENO DoubleNest. I'm 6'1" and weigh 230. I have the same problems with shoulder squeeze and a hard line under my legs. Wondering what you ended up doing. Also wondering if I should look for an 11' hammock and if so what kind. Right now, I'm only using my hammock indoors, as a replacement for an uncomfortable bed.

Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vanRijn View Post
    Curious how you're making out with this. I'm just getting started with hammock sleeping and I'm still sleeping on my ENO DoubleNest. I'm 6'1" and weigh 230. I have the same problems with shoulder squeeze and a hard line under my legs. Wondering what you ended up doing. Also wondering if I should look for an 11' hammock and if so what kind. Right now, I'm only using my hammock indoors, as a replacement for an uncomfortable bed.
    I believe I have made the (semi) final decision. I went with a JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock UL. I may not end up in the JRB but I do believe a "bridge" style hammock is my choice.

The BMBH is a tad bit tight in the shoulders but does not bother me as I am a side sleeper or if on my back my arms are folded above my head (even at home in my sleep number bed) I really, really like the flatter lay in a bridge and feel completely comfortable in one. However, I may move on to a WB Ridge Runner as it is a bit longer and a bit wider.

Both Jack Tier (Jacks R Better) and Brandon (Warbonnet) gave me some feed back and Jack stuck by the weight limit design of the BMBH at 250 lbs and Brandon recommended I go with a Black Bird XLC. My only concern is I feel I am near the (designed) max weight of the JRB bridge but still 15 or so pounds shy of the limit. I really like my Blackbird but am too swayed by the comfort of the bridge to try a XLC, especially for the price.

Recently I got in on the deal from WOOT and snagged an 11' 6" for $20! I just got it yesterday and if would ever quit raining I'm dying to try it out, I'll report back when I do.

For now a "bridge" works well for me. If you have an opportunity to try one, go for it........................

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    depends on season
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm only 5'11 and 220lbs and have always had issues with leg pain and shoulder squeeze in my WBBB 1.1 Dbl. Since then I picked up a 11' and have had no pain since. I certainly hope the 11 footer helps you like it did me.

Okay, what's the recommended 11 footer?

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast