Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Gotta readjust to the altitude and all that. Still getting winded walking up big steps!
    6 to 8 weeks. Until then, enjoy the one beer buzz factor.
    You'll find the temps here don't feel as cold as they look. One really nice thing about this arid air. Still, a very nice 'Welcome to Colorado' hang and it sounded beautiful!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - I'm gonna start some short runs this week. Gotta get ready to hike up Eagles Peak before the Colorado Hang!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    Thanks for the report. The MtW4 is a very nice quilt. Im heading out for trail tonight for 8 days and talked myself into one of those fine quilts bc I was a bit chilly in my MtW3 at 25*. Thanks for the reassurance that it will make it to zero with little trouble. Peace of mind!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Clipping the MWUQ suspension over the BB's ridgeline made all the difference...no cold spots anywhere after that...nice tight fit. I think you'll be warm.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Images
    Fantastic! Is this the 1st official report with MWUQ4 at zero or below? It's the first one I have read, any way. It just proves what I have known since last winter, this UQ is one fine piece of work!

So, not even a leg pad, or any other tricks? I have wondered about left leg warmth when set up on a gathered end hammock ( though no questions with the BMBH), and a tendency to "gap" away from my left leg when on the diagonal.

Did you set the foot end up with about 10 or 12" between quilt corners before entry, or some other way?

Wonderful to see this test. I have been able to test one night last year at about 10* in the BMBH ( 18*F in the WBBB). Of course, with MS type humidity. I was fine in both cases. But I don't get many shots at zero.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I didn't use a leg pad, but I always have a stuffsack with some extra clothes in there that I use under my knees when I'm on my back, and between my knees when I'm on my side. Technically it provides insulation when it's under my knees but I don't plan for it that way. I didn't have any cold spots under my legs after I clipped the corners over the ridgeline.

So I didn't have 10-12" between the corners...there were probably 4-5", including the grosgrain, mini-biners and some shockcord.

Kayak Kark posted about being "snowed in" somewhere on his thru (VA, IIRC). He started 01Jan at Springer. I believe he said it was slightly below zero and wore little besides long johns and was toasty.

I LUV my MW4. I may be wrong but I think the standard JRB suspension might be a tad too weak to hold up the MW4's weight. I plan to experiment.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    6 to 8 weeks. Until then, enjoy the one beer buzz factor.
    You'll find the temps here don't feel as cold as they look. One really nice thing about this arid air. Still, a very nice 'Welcome to Colorado' hang and it sounded beautiful!
    I wonder if my MWUQ4 in 10F MS degrees "felt" a little closer to a CO zero*? No way to know I guess. Regardless, I was tickled to be comfy at ~10F without even using a reflective/VB layer.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-26-2009 at 21:20.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekul View Post
    Thanks for the report. The MtW4 is a very nice quilt. Im heading out for trail tonight for 8 days and talked myself into one of those fine quilts bc I was a bit chilly in my MtW3 at 25*. Thanks for the reassurance that it will make it to zero with little trouble. Peace of mind!
    Of course, people vary a lot, as well as variables other than temp like wind and humidity. But I if you were not warm enough at 25 with the MW3, then you might expect to not make it to zero with the MW4. Still, you should expect to be able to go about 15* colder than you could with the 3.

But another thing to figure out is: was it the MW3 that was not quite warm enough at 25, or could it have been inadequate TQ, drafts or head insulation, or all three? Just thinking out loud.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Great report! More good, real world info too!!!
    A note about the tent stakes, I've been using the hollow aluminum stakes by Easton. I like them. Lite but strong. One word of caution though. A friend was helping me set up my tarp one trip, & used his foot to push the Easton stake into the ground & bent it.
    I straitened it & still use it but that just shows that a person's body weight applied side ways to a stake that is in hard ground, most (if not all) strong stakes, will bend (like a nail hit at an angle).
    So you just have to be sure to keep force directed strait down through the stake. Sometimes it's best to find something that can be used as a hammer for this reason. It's extremely easy for a foot to push to one side or the other.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast