Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSR E-Wing

MSR E-Wing

Anyone have any experience with this tarp? A user review on rei.com mentioned using it with his hammock. I can't get an accurate size for it so I was curious if anyone here has used it.

Www.msrgear.com/tents/Ewing.asp

BC

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anewconvert View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this tarp? A user review on rei.com mentioned using it with his hammock. I can't get an accurate size for it so I was curious if anyone here has used it.

Www.msrgear.com/tents/Ewing.asp

BC
    I found you a size here
    "The E-Wing has 8 reinforced guy outs and measures 100” L x 80” W at the longest axis."

Judging by that size 8.5x6.5 (and comparing to other hammock tarps) it would really depend on your hammock size. My ridgeline is longer than that tarp!
    This would be a bare minimum tarp. IMO, any serious weather (rain) you would have a good potential for serious problems.
    IT is light and small though
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Ultralight and Compact: Comes factory compressed in a stuff sack that's smaller than a soda can and can be stowed virtually anywhere.
    Factory compressed.... IOW you'll never get it that small again. The picture is captioned "E-Wing without fly" Never realized you could get a fly for a tarp. No indication what the material is either.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    8.5' is too short. And 7 oz. is really not that light for such a small tarp. I would have you look at the MacCat tarps: http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....cat-tarps.html

The Micro is only .5 oz heavier than the MSR, but it does give you a 10' ridgeline which will be more appropriate for a hammock. And, it is less expensive!

Thanks for the help. The hope with the E-wing was being able to use my REI deductable to get it without spending any extra cash.

The hunt continues.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    8.5' is too short. And 7 oz. is really not that light for such a small tarp. I would have you look at the MacCat tarps: http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....cat-tarps.html

The Micro is only .5 oz heavier than the MSR, but it does give you a 10' ridgeline which will be more appropriate for a hammock. And, it is less expensive!
    ****. With all the love going on for the MacCat tarps around here I just assumed they were going to be obscenely expensive. I am an idiot for not looking into them sooner. I am rather certain a micro will be making its way into my pack before the season starts.

BC

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anewconvert View Post
    ****. With all the love going on for the MacCat tarps around here I just assumed they were going to be obscenely expensive. I am an idiot for not looking into them sooner. I am rather certain a micro will be making its way into my pack before the season starts.BC
    Spring the extra cash for the Spinn version; well worth it!
    Trust nobody!

noted and thx for the advise

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Spring the extra cash for the Spinn version; well worth it!
    Is there a spot on that site that tells what SpinnUL is? I saw it mentioned, but didn't see anything else. I am guessing it is just very lite for it's size? Or is it a style? I am easily dazed and confused, Nick
    If you ain't sure what it is, poke it with a stick . . .

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncranker View Post
    Is there a spot on that site that tells what SpinnUL is? I saw it mentioned, but didn't see anything else. I am guessing it is just very lite for it's size? Or is it a style? I am easily dazed and confused, Nick
    I've been wondering the same thing, but I'm fairly certain that the it's a lighter weight fabric choice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast