Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Ok. I'm getting geared up for this now. We are down to the week and a half mark. I've got my gear laid out and pretty much ready to cram in my pack. I've got my snacks together and have a plan for meals. C'mon now. I'm ready to go.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Ok. I'm getting geared up for this now. We are down to the week and a half mark. I've got my gear laid out and pretty much ready to cram in my pack. I've got my snacks together and have a plan for meals. C'mon now. I'm ready to go.
    Similar story here. Laying out gear tonight that I'll take to the LSHT and using it on a short hike S24O this weekend.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Got the meal plan figured out, all food in stock, and separated into separate bags. Got the gear list mostly figured and much of it in plastic tubs waiting to get packed and checked off the list.

Still haven't figured out the UQ set up with the Weenie. With the HHDJ or the Expedition, it was always easy b/c the Potomac is designed to fit. Tried it on the Weenie and it was just too droopy, resulting in CBS. This while hanging inside the house with the windows closed but no heat on and lows in the 50's.

Solution was supposed to be a DIY UQ that I got last year. Its OK in the 50-60* range but its made from a sewn through Eddie Bauer down bag tried it night before last with same results. Baffles go perpendicular to the hammock, so down settles at the bottom and I lose insulation at the sides.

Last night I used it with a DIY IX torso length with temps in middle 50's and was OK, but as the forecast for Friday nite shows sub-40* I'm not sure if this is the solution. The IX has no suspension so I'd jury rigged it to attach to the Eddie Bauer bag. I need to test and see if I was warmed by the IX Quilt alone or if they both need to be used in conjunction with the other.

Last ditch for the Weenie would be to use the Prodigy as a UQ. If I can't get that to work, I'll bring the HH and the Potomac b/c I know those work and I don't have any more time for experimentation.

QUESTION:

Is everybody OK with the proposed "Plan B" and knows how to get there?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    As long as I get in the woods....I'm cool with whatever.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

I acutuly have my gear packed but I still need to make a batch of spaghetti for the trip.
    I will be sleeping in my WW unless I get too cold and then I will switch over to the RR and use a pad with my UQ.
    I have my TQ and UQ hanging in my living room so I won't forget them this time.

Hammock
    WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images
    I haven't followed this closely. One did last trip work out for you guys? Two if you guys are headed out again which weekend? Would enjoy getting out if I can escape the weekend of the outing. I am editing because my brain just showed up. I thought you guys already went and I just looked at title and realized oh yeah never mind. Will try to be here if I do will have son though. So will see how it goes.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Notare View Post
    I haven't followed this closely. One did last trip work out for you guys? Two if you guys are headed out again which weekend? Would enjoy getting out if I can escape the weekend of the outing. I am editing because my brain just showed up. I thought you guys already went and I just looked at title and realized oh yeah never mind. Will try to be here if I do will have son though. So will see how it goes.
    The first outing to the area was the infamous Texas Butt Bake of 2012, chronicled here.

Its a great trail in a great area that is great for hanging.

A second trip for a longer hike was discussed at the end of that trip, and was planned for October 20-22. You can follow the sad tale of that outing here, but in short, we were shot down due to changing rules regarding on trail camping during Hunting Season.

This outing is intended to right that wrong, but may be altered somewhat by the same Yankee Gummint intervention that affected the last one. This time we have the option of relocating the hike because of possible prescribed burns in the area, where last time we were prohibited from camping anywhere on the Lone Star Trail.

This thing is going to happen on the weekend of 2/22 thru 2/24 no matter what. Best info on Plan A is here.

We will know on Thursday, 21 February if we are going to execute Plan A.

If not, we will execute Plan B and move the location to the Four Notch Section of the Lone Star Hiking Trail starting at Parking Lot #8 as shown on this map:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/LSHTparking.pdf

with more info here

Shawn;

If we do Plan A, I'll likely head up myself and meet you there. If its Plan B, I'll meet you at your house and we can car pool. That way if we get lost I can blame you and you can blame me like we always do. I mean, its likely both of us will get lost finding the place, it's just more efficient if we both do it at the same time in the same place.

The Paradox 'twas ever thus.
    Last edited by sargevining; 02-13-2013 at 15:38.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    One week.

Forecast is holding favorable for us:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ros...weather/340997

Got the UQ dialed in. Will pack everything but the food and hammock stuff this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    One week.

Forecast is holding favorable for us:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ros...weather/340997

Got the UQ dialed in. Will pack everything but the food and hammock stuff this weekend.
    It does look like it's going to be very nice weather for this hang...

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I'm hoping the forecast of rain is just right enough to make them not want to burn (but they could burn anwywhere), but just wrong enough that we don't get much.

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast