Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendule View Post
    I would say that given the amount of people here that have a classic one and make it mod with a zip, the statistics are distorted

But I would bet on the zip for the future…
    I, for one, hope the bottom entry _never_ gets discontinued. It is the only hammock that serves a sub-set of disabled folks. I agree the zip is likely to be the more robust seller in the future but that bottom entry fills a niche that no one else even approaches filling. I'm not dissing on any one else. Just saying the classic is worth keeping.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Explorer deluxe & WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG 0° Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies or ropes
    Sure, it's a brilliant idea, and I had a hard time choosing between the two. I opted for the Explorer Deluxe zip as my hammock trips are social-oriented, with friends lounging around the fire in our hammocks, and the zip makes that easier.

But if I buy another one for UL hikes, where all that matters is a light, easy to set up, and comfortable place to sleep, I'll certainly pick a classic one.

Back to the SS, go for it folks, it's a great system ^__^
    I have used it for some weeks in the backyard now, and exception made for one-two extremely hot nights, I have always kept the undercover, just to cut the early morning chills or an unwanted breeze, and put the underpad most of the time, even if it's summertime…
    It makes the temp in the hammock just right, I really like it.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I've been down to 12* F in my super shelter with winter base clothing and a cheapo Coleman 0* sleeping bag. The system works. It's all I use now.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I, for one, hope the bottom entry _never_ gets discontinued. It is the only hammock that serves a sub-set of disabled folks. I agree the zip is likely to be the more robust seller in the future but that bottom entry fills a niche that no one else even approaches filling. I'm not dissing on any one else. Just saying the classic is worth keeping.
    I agree its the classic and its definently my favourite way to enter a hammock
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    I agree its the classic and its definently my favourite way to enter a hammock
    The only problem I ever had with the bottom entry was not being able reach out once I am in, either to get something or to adjust something, usually a quilt or or the S.Shelter. Or really, the SS really doesn't need any adjusting ( took me a couple of years to have confidence in that fact), but I might want to check the position of some piece of insulation I had added, or check to see if it was bring compressed excessively. Another problem ( without some sort of mod) is not being able to use a PeaPod with it, if you were a fan of that approach.

Other than the above, no problem at all for me. And realistically, on the trail, I was either using it in chair mode on occasion, or inside asleep. Between using the end of RL loops to hang stuff sacks full of little items and the RL hooks and storage sack, I always had plenty of stuff inside with me anyway. So I rarely needed to reach out. And after enough years with the SS even with added clothing insulation, I finally trust it and don't really need to check anything, though I still like to be able to.

Watching my friends teen age son- after I had got up about 10 a.m. this weekend, but he was still sawing logs until forced to get up- blissfully sleeping inside his "womb" of netted HHSS, I was reminded of another "benefit". And a reason why I have been thinking of supplying my grandsons with bottom entry HHs for their 1st hammocks. Safety. There is really no way to fall out, either while getting in or while thrashing in your sleep. I know, as the netting has held me ( don't ask ). You just stick your head in, turn around, sit down, lay back, done.

It is definitely possible- if not likely- to fall out of side entry models. I have done it and so have some others here. For example, if a Claytor No Net is hung inside a PeaPod, when not occupied the two edges of the hammock will be very close together or even in contact, and the pod might even obscure those edges. If you get up in the middle of the night, and are still half asleep when laying back down, it is not hard to accidentally grab both edges of the hammock in one hand and the PeaPod- or maybe an UQ- by accident with the other. Then if you sit down on the not spread out hammock, you can easily flip right over on your back. OK- I know- just don't do that, right? But you do really need to pay attention. My 10 and 7 year old Grandsons don't always pay attention.

But I don't know how you could fall out of an HH bottom entry. Of course, anything is possible. I know, your leg or legs or a pad or sleeping bag can fall out of the bottom entry, but your upper body is really unlikely to fall out. Seems to me anyway.

So as always, there are lots of pros and cons!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12