WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

Question Warbonnet BB First Time Questions

(Skip to the questions if you want, first two paragraphs are just rambling)

Just got my warbonnet BB in a few days ago. I decided to test it out last night. I have never used one before except those huge white ones some people have in their backyards. Anyway, took me about 30 min to initially get it setup because the instructions are somewhat lacking as i have never setup a hiking hammock. Once i discovered the method it took me around a minute in repeat attempts!

This is an amazing piece of equipment, i will never go back to the ground, ever! I bought the warbonnet after scouring the forums to see what people were saying. It seemed like all the old vets were leaning towards WB's. I always wait and save-up and buy the best gear first so i do not end up with five different hammocks that would cost more than a WB anyway. Anyway in the process of testing it i got a few questions, here goes:

1. Most people say it should be secure at forehead height or higher if possible. Assuming this is correct, What is the proper method of entry (to avoid injury and ensure a long life from the hammock) once it is setup at this height because it seems difficult to enter? I seem to have trouble getting in without the danger of falling or putting pressure in the wrong places. Do you guys stand straight then put one leg, then support with your hands-followed by the other leg, or do you use your hands to lift you like putting your hands on a chair when seated and lifting your body, or some other method? Be as visual as possible.

2. I understand that the ridgeline should not be as tight as a guitar string. Is he saying it should not be this tight when you ARE in it or when you ARE NOT in it? Because when i get in it and apply the weight it gets pretty tight, but not before.

3. This next question builds on #2. When used as a chair the ridgeline pushes against the back of my head, is there something i've done wrong in the setup process? OR do i need to sit differently?

4. Should the Staked out lines be in close the hammock OR out as far a possible to get the best position?

5. Should the foot end be strung higher than the head end of the hammock?

6. How many of you use snakeskins instead of the easy setup double holed back branding gives you? If using something else, Why?

7. If any of you do long distance hiking, what methods do you use to keep your hammock dry? Water proof stuff sacks, etc? On a related note, is it ok to compress the hammock in a stuff sack?

8. Once inside the hammock, should I scoot as far toward the head side or foot side to find the best position? Or is there no right answer and only preference?

I am now in the process of getting TARP, UQ, TQ, and a PAD. I am open to ALL suggestions. Anything i get will need to be the lightest possible and highest quality, because it is to be used on an AT thru Hike probably in spring or summer. Yes i will be hiking the AT sometime in the near future, I cannot do it in tents, my back will not allow it.

Backstory:

Was an avid hiker, Spondyliothesis stopped that. Sleeping in tents aggravated the condition, however, hammocks have brought me back. I knew if i did'nt find a comfy hammock i would never do long dist hiking again. I am so satisfied with the WB. Thanks Brandon on amazing workmanship, thanks old vets for solid suggestions, thanks everybody for contributing!

Sorry for the length!
    Last edited by ikemouser; 07-03-2009 at 09:57.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome and good intro!
    Congrats on your BB acquisition; you're in good company. Let's see if I can be of any help this morning.

1. Just sit. When you first hang it, if you hang it high, it will be up there a little. I usually just stand on my tip-toes while pulling the hammock down till my butt clears the fabric. Then it's just a plop and a scoot. I've got tons of entries and exits on my BB, not a sign of wear yet.

2. It should be kind of tight (not taut) before you get in. Once you're in it will tighten up a bit. You don't want it super tight when you are in it, but you shouldn't be able to pull the ridgeline down more than a couple of inches without working hard.

3. Flop the ridgeline in front of your head. That's what I do anyway. It just hangs there in front of me while I lounge.

4. Personal preferences there. I tend to stake them in close, but staking them wide will give you more perceived room inside.

5. Foot a couple of inches higher than the head. This will keep you from sliding down to the footend over the course of the evening.

6. Don't use them, don't really care for them. Just me.

7. Bishopbags are a great solution. Just a stuff sack with a hole in the bottom for the hammock suspension to pass thru. You can squish down a hammock as hard as you'd like to, you aren't going to hurt them.

Good luck and happy hanging!
    Trust nobody!

Images
    first off, people are talking about how high the suspension needs to be where it attaches to the tree. it will almost always be head height or higher. the farther apart the trees, the higher up you will need to attach to them.

the support lines should be running downward toward the hammock at roughly a 25-30 deg angle. you want the hammock at about chair height so you can easily sit down into it.

ideally the ridgeline should not be very tight once you're laying down in the hammock, if it is, it means you need to attach the straps higher on the tree, and loosen them at the same time so the hammock is still at chair height. in other words if the ridgeline is guitar string tight when you're laying in the hammock, it's because you don't have the straps running at a 25-30 deg angle, you need to loosen them a good bit, and since the hammock is at chair height, you'll have to raise them on the tree to keep the hammock off the ground.

most like the foot end whipping to be several inches higher than the head end once they're laying in the hammock

the stuffsac the hammock came in is waterproof

move around to find your sweet spot, but generally i like to be closer to the footbox as it gives me more head/shoulder room, be careful though, you don't want to be so close to the end of the footbox that it compresses the insulation in the footbox of your sb/tq (at least in colder weather)

the guylines on the hammock are your preference, steeper down on the zip side gives a better view, farther out gives more head room.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    THANKS for the info!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Am I the only one who doesn't like my foot end higher than my head end? Maybe 'cause of the physiology differences between men and women...

Other than that, yeah, what they said.

Oh, except for the snake skins. I have them on other hammocks. I actually like them better than the bishop sack the bb comes with. Not enough to bother changing it out yet. With the skins the hammock stays covered during the entire setup of the suspension. With the bishop sack mine tends to come tumbling out after I attach the first side and while I'm walking to the other side, and I have to be careful not to let it hit the ground. Personal preference.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    I actually like them better than the bishop sack the bb comes with. Not enough to bother changing it out yet.
    Just to clarify - The BlackBird doesn't come with a Bishop's Bag, but rather a double-ended stuff sack. A typical Bishop's Bag only has one open end, and the hole in the other is *only* big enough for the suspension cording. The BlackBird sack has two fully opening ends.

That may seem like a trivial difference, but when actually stuffing the hammock into it, I much prefer not to have drawstrings on both ends.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't like my foot end higher than my head end? Maybe 'cause of the physiology differences between men and women...

Other than that, yeah, what they said.

Oh, except for the snake skins. I have them on other hammocks. I actually like them better than the bishop sack the bb comes with. Not enough to bother changing it out yet. With the skins the hammock stays covered during the entire setup of the suspension. With the bishop sack mine tends to come tumbling out after I attach the first side and while I'm walking to the other side, and I have to be careful not to let it hit the ground. Personal preference.
    I noticed the tumbling too. I found that if you pull the ends a little tighter that prevents it.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Just to clarify - The BlackBird doesn't come with a Bishop's Bag, but rather a double-ended stuff sack. A typical Bishop's Bag only has one open end, and the hole in the other is *only* big enough for the suspension cording. The BlackBird sack has two fully opening ends.

That may seem like a trivial difference, but when actually stuffing the hammock into it, I much prefer not to have drawstrings on both ends.
    Why do you prefer not to have them on both ends? because of the spillage?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    Why do you prefer not to have them on both ends? because of the spillage?
    Yes, the cordlock can slip some when stuffing. But also, it's just another cord to get tangled. I'm a huge fan of simplicity.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    well to me its more simple to have the two sided bag when putting it up or taking it down because it slides out of both ends, and goes right back into both.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast