Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images

DIY No Zipper Attached Bugnet

I have been getting a few questions about the diy bugnet I showed in my last trip report video. I broke out the section that shows the diy bugnet and added an illustration for reference.

The illustration is no work of art but it should give you the general idea. There could be many variations of this concept. Post some pics here if you you do some version of this.

The distance from the ridgeline to middle of hammock is the MINIMUM length of the middle of bugnet. This minimum distance will let the bugnet pull all the way down to edge of hammock. I suggest adding extra length and/or shaping to help make a smaller gap at top.
    Last edited by hangnout; 03-05-2011 at 11:34. Reason: Added additional info on bugnet sizing

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Genius hangnout. I like it.
    Left or right side entry/exit too.
    Will it stay down when needed or will the net want to pull itself back up? Add some ties to keep it in the down position?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Genius hangnout. I like it.
    Left or right side entry/exit too.
    Will it stay down when needed or will the net want to pull itself back up? Add some ties to keep it in the down position?
    It will stay down when using as a chair. If I want to lay in it without the net, I have a small pack hook on one side. I can pull the net under and hook to the shock cord in the channel on the other side to keep it under the hammock.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    How well do you think it will work in full on bug season? Will the 'seal' it creates keep out serious mosquitoes and the like, or is it too loose? I love the simplicity and ease of it, but I'm always a bit leery of something that doesn't seal completely.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Brilliant!
    Simply brilliant.
    Thanks for sharing.
    The video makes it pretty easy to understand. Not sure I would have understood a written description.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Thanks for this explanation. Saw the video the other day and loved it. Do you have much issue with wind blowing the flap at the top? That seems to be my only concern with this design. Very creative.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    How well do you think it will work in full on bug season? Will the 'seal' it creates keep out serious mosquitoes and the like, or is it too loose? I love the simplicity and ease of it, but I'm always a bit leery of something that doesn't seal completely.
    I think that it would keep out flying insects but ticks etc could work their way in. I am a 3season hiker (fall,winter,spring) so this setup in fine in the SE. I have used less than this on most trips. Side benefits other than bug protection are added warmth in cooler weather and keeps all the quilts in the hammock

Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Brilliant!
    Simply brilliant.
    Thanks for sharing.
    The video makes it pretty easy to understand. Not sure I would have understood a written description.
    Thanks for watching

Quote Originally Posted by otter46544 View Post
    Thanks for this explanation. Saw the video the other day and loved it. Do you have much issue with wind blowing the flap at the top? That seems to be my only concern with this design. Very creative.
    Quote from the trip report thread

High winds would blow the top around but also would blow the bugs away. The first day I tested it at home the winds were blowing the hammock straight up like a kite. Put the hammock under the tarp and everything was good. Also the cords on the UQ keep the top from blowing around. I run the UQ cords to the ridgeline outside of the top cover. I could make the bug net a little taller to bring it closer to the ridge line and then attach the top cover over the ridgeline to hold it in place. You could even clip the bug net to the ridgeline to hold it in place and use a smaller top cover. This would require a much more precise pattern on the bugnet.

This was just a prototype to see if the idea would work. I put the top cover on the ridgeline which looked better but did not seal as well. I needed to make the bugnet bigger to use the top cover on the ridgeline. I decided to keep it simple and see which issues where valid.

If I get around to doing a final version I would do the following.

• Cat cut the top cover and sew it to the hammock
    • Put the top cover over the ridgeline
    • Sew bug netting to the bottom of the top cover to form a tube of sorts
    • The tube would make a good seal due to "wrapping" around the top of the bug net when it was pulled up into it
    • Add to the bugnet length in the head and foot corners as seen ing the red portion in the illustration
    I believe that the improvements listed above would address the wind concern and create the best seal possible with this type setup.
    Last edited by hangnout; 03-03-2011 at 13:42.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    If I get around to doing a final version I would do the following.

• Cat cut the top cover and sew it to the hammock
    • Put the top cover over the ridgeline
    • Sew bug netting to the bottom of the top cover to form a tube of sorts
    • The tube would make a good seal due to "wrapping" around the top of the bug net when it was pulled up into it
    • Add to the bugnet length in the head and foot corners as seen ing the red portion in the illustration
    I believe that the improvements listed above would address the wind concern and create the best seal possible with this type setup.
    I'm not able to visualize what you mean on points 3 & 4 that mention a "tube"

Had an idea though...
    What if you used the same concept that holds the sides of the bugnet up to hold the sides of the top cover down?
    ie, a channel on each long edge with shock cord. Attach the ends of the shockcord to a point on the side of the hammock lower than the suspension attachment, so that the shock cord pulls the top cover down towards the bug net. Should work nicely with a cat or parabolic cut as you mentioned above.
    Just thinking out loud.
    Don't know if it will work, but that is what came to my mind while fixing lunch.

Oh, also... couldn't you make the top cover out of bug netting also?
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    I'm not able to visualize what you mean on points 3 & 4 that mention a "tube"

Had an idea though...
    What if you used the same concept that holds the sides of the bugnet up to hold the sides of the top cover down?
    ie, a channel on each long edge with shock cord. Attach the ends of the shockcord to a point on the side of the hammock lower than the suspension attachment, so that the shock cord pulls the top cover down towards the bug net. Should work nicely with a cat or parabolic cut as you mentioned above.
    Just thinking out loud.
    Don't know if it will work, but that is what came to my mind while fixing lunch.

Oh, also... couldn't you make the top cover out of bug netting also?
    This is why I put this out there. I thought of those but need more help sewing prototypes

The "tube" I mentioned would just be a strip of bugnet sewn into the top cover. It would hang down forming the "tube". When the sides of the bugnet went up into the top cover the bugnet tube would fold around the edges of the bugnet forming a better seal. IMO your idea would be all i would need but combining the two ideas would form a really good seal.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    nice! simple design.
    looks to be hassle free

• + New Posts