Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

One last tarp question for the year.........

I promise, this will be my last question for 2012!--------------with a sil nylon tarp (probably making a rectangular tarp with cat cut edges)------what is the maximum distance you would recommend inbetween guy lines? (on the sides, this is a very long tarp, trying to decide how many guy lines to install) Thanks!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I wouldn't go any more than 10' between ties... And would probably put a tie out in the middle of that 10' as an optional point... It's always easier to have it there and not use it then it is to try to add it back in later... With the way silnylon stretches I would think a tie out option every 4-6' would be nice...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    I wouldn't go any more than 10' between ties... And would probably put a tie out in the middle of that 10' as an optional point... It's always easier to have it there and not use it then it is to try to add it back in later... With the way silnylon stretches I would think a tie out option every 4-6' would be nice...
    So, can you add extra tie outs even if its a cat cut? (I guess the extra tie out would be in the middle of the arc?)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Sure... It wouldnt hurt anything... Let someone else give you an experienced answer... I may be wrong, its happened a few times, just don't tell me wife...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    So, can you add extra tie outs even if its a cat cut? (I guess the extra tie out would be in the middle of the arc?)
    In theory the cat cuts should be from tie out to tie out.

Just to screw around with your thinking, a WB Cloudburst tarp is straight cut, 132" between corner tie outs and pitches very nicely.

You stated that is will be a long rectangular tarp. If it's for your Grizz Bridge, will it be long enough to get past the suspension triangle and be used in a closed door configuration? If so, two corner tie outs with two intermediate tie outs to create the doors would be a good design. With this design, make cat cuts between the center tie outs, while the short sections between the corners and door tie outs could have a small cat cut or simply be straight cut.

Now....remember you have to wait until 2013 to ask another question. (I won't tell anyone if you do)

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    How big is your tarp going to be?

The reason for the cat cuts is to do away with excessive tie-outs. If you need more tie outs (due to size) you need to add more cats. Each arc/cat gets a tie out, so if you tarp exceeds the regular size, you'll have more (smaller) cat cuts.

Typically, if you look at the popular cat cut tarps with a 11' ridgeline and 13' bottom edge length, the end cats are 4'ish each, with the center cat being 5-6'. There are several guidelines/examples in the diy forum. The 4' ish ends allow for the "door" feature. Any span greater than 6' should be broken into smaller cats, IMO.

Avoid adding a tie out to the middle of the arc/cat.
    If you want more tie outs, do away with the cats and just make the tarp a big rectangle with straight edges.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    t.

Just to screw around with your thinking, a WB Cloudburst tarp is straight cut, 132" between corner tie outs and pitches very nicely.

Wow, I like that------really simple, and easy to make. I wonder how it does in the wind? (thats me talking to my self, not asking another question!) This tarp is partially for my grizz bridge, and partially for a extra long gathered end hammock I just made to use with my Pea Pod------I'm kind of wondering if its even worth it to mess with the cat cuts...........................................

--unknown

• + New Posts