Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nantahala River Gorge & AT Hike-n-Hang - Sept 22-30

Hey folks - so I'm planning on heading out to the the Nantahala River for the annual GAF @ NOC -

I plan on spending some leisure time on the AT from around the 22 - 27/28 - then hitting a river or two for a day or so of whitewater, and then hanging out at the grandaddy of all garage sales, drinking some beers - and having fun with some friends - through the following sunday (30th).

I'd love it if I had some company on the trail - and maybe even on the river - and of course, feel free to come check out the all gear on sale (you can find some purdy gud stuff there - I got a JetBoil Sol Ti for $50 last year)

I don't have 'specific' dates yet as I'm not sure when I'm leaving work and when I'm driving up - but the closer it gets, and the more interest that is shown the more firm the dates will become - Maybe you can't come hang/hike but for a day, or two - that's cool - come on anyways for as long as you can -

I'll probably have a trail 'itinerary' the closer the it gets - but I'll probably either go SoBo to the NOC from somewhere 3-4 days north or start at the NOC and make a loop; I'll probably do anywhere from 5-16 miles a day(if I'm alone) depending on how the day goes, when i wake up, etc...

Anywho... I'll be up there - anybody interested in meeting up for a hang and some hiking? Anybody that lives near I-95 in Jawja or Souf Cackalacky that would need a ride up? (PM me, we'll see if we can't make it happen)
    Any Cackalacky locals - com'on Ashvegas - represent...
    Last edited by WetRivrRat; 08-20-2012 at 19:04. Reason: Update Title "Hike-n-Hang"
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Where exactly is this taking place?
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    I might be interested in a group-hang type of meet-up for that "Grandaddy of Gear Swaps/Sales" event at the NOC. Hmmm... maybe even a 1st-annual?

Guest Appreciation Festival (GAF)
    September 28-30, 2012

By the way, where is the nearest camping area and is it Hammock friendly?
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    Where exactly is this taking place?
    hey SwinginIt, if you're referring to GAF, its at the Nantahala Outdoor Center. (Noc.com)
    If you're referring to the 'trip', I kinda figured it would be a hike-n-hang sort of deal - so we start at point 'A' and plan to make it to point 'B' by a predetermined time and go from there
    I'm pretty open to just about anything - my preference would only be that I'm on the trail for at least 3-4 days that week. It would also be my preference to do AT time around the Nantahala Gorge area - but like I had said in the earlier post, there isn't an 'Itinerary' yet.
    You care to weigh in on what some of that itenerary would be?
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I might be interested in a group-hang type of meet-up for that "Grandaddy of Gear Swaps/Sales" event at the NOC. Hmmm... maybe even a 1st-annual? {...}
    Hey Loki - I'm all-in for making up a group-hang for GAF -

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    {...} By the way, where is the nearest camping area and is it Hammock friendly?
    The nearest proper campground is "Lost Mine Campground" it's maybe .5 mile or so (its pretty much accross the street from the NOC, but its decent stumble up the road ), there's another about 1 mile away "Nantahala-Wesser Campground" - Mrs. Pauline, sweet lady - keeps her bathrooms dang near spotless -
    There are alot more than this, but I'm not too familiar with them all - but I'm not sure if any of them are hammock friendly - I know Mrs. Pauline's place doesn't have very many trees, guess they were mostly removed to reduce the chance of hitting them with your car.
    That said, I know of a primitive 'campsite' about 2 miles away that is on an off-shoot of the AT - its not too far away from the trail head-

I will say this though about camping and GAF - the party doesn't really stop until late, so you'll probably more want to be somewhere close enough by that you can stumble 'home'. The back lots at the NOC generally have some car camping, so maybe we just need some TurtleDog stands - Of course there is always the AT... it crosses the Nantahala River at the NOC, so there's legit trail-side hanging on either side of the river - and since its the Nantahala National Forest, you just have to hang at least 50 ft (can't remember if its 50ft or m) from the trail. I haven't been on that section of the AT in a while, but being that its so close to a high traffic area, I'd think that there's probably some sort of established 'sites' close enough around.
    Plus, the NOC has beer, food, toilets, and quarter showers all on-premise, so its hard to want to wander too far from that if you're there for GAF.

That is unless you're the early to bed type, in which you'll want to be further way - the music can be loud enough to hear from a bit away. (just as a heads up)

Heck, if there were someone handy enough to make several of them, they could probably sell them all at GAF - I'd buy one, just to save me from having it fight for priority on the DIY List

Any locals willing to scout out some of these ideas to make it possible to do the 1st Annual GAF Group Hang? doh!... gotta come up with a better name... AGAFGH.... ANOCGAFGH.... ANGAF...
    Ah, hows about AGGH... nows all we gotta do is put some "!" at the end and it'll sound like we're yelling at each other AGGH!!!!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Don't count on camping at any of the nearby campgrounds that weekend without a reservation. You should call ahead to make sure a site is still available. The GAF is a big deal and draws a lot of people. A group hang in the area is a great idea, but that weekend will be very busy already. Just my $0.02. That's also the weekend of the Grayson Highlands Hang.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Don't count on camping at any of the nearby campgrounds that weekend without a reservation. You should call ahead to make sure a site is still available. The GAF is a big deal and draws a lot of people. A group hang in the area is a great idea, but that weekend will be very busy already. Just my $0.02. That's also the weekend of the Grayson Highlands Hang.
    Thanks for the heads-up DetailMan
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I agree with Detail Man. It will be literally packed with people, reservations are a must.
    I stayed at Lost Mine once and frankly it will be the last. The woman there is loooopie and mean! Might I suggest Turkey Creek Campground, They are very hammock friendly and you can have your lantern as bright as you want it and they wont demand that you get the rain water up from your campsite.....did I mention Lost Mine is now called Lost Mind by my group?
    Last edited by L.D. Cakes; 08-20-2012 at 20:23.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    I agree with Detail Man. I will be literally packed with people, reservations are a must.
    I stayed at Lost Mine once and frankly it will be the last. The woman there is loooopie and mean! Might I suggest Turkey Creek Campground, They are very hammock friendly and you can have your lantern as bright as you want it and they wont demand that you get the rain water up from your campsite.....did I mention Lost Mine is now called Lost Mind by my group?
    hahahah... yah, I was attempting to be polite by not saying anything... but since you brought it up - I've not stayed at Lost my Mine in over 12 years for the exact same reasons - its amazing that they can keep business -

And YEA... it'll be busy - but if any are interested - the back lot can be claimed fairly early on fri and sat mornings, then you just stay the night...
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    hahahah... yah, I was attempting to be polite by not saying anything... but since you brought it up - I've not stayed at Lost my Mine in over 12 years for the exact same reasons - its amazing that they can keep business -

And YEA... it'll be busy - but if any are interested - the back lot can be claimed fairly early on fri and sat mornings, then you just stay the night...
    I had to bring it up...I wouldn't want to bestow her on anyone. She recently upset friends of mine so much they wondered if she was off her meds!

The back lot isn't where they have it anymore, it's in the front smaller lot and the amount of folks setting up waned a couple years ago when they started charging set up fees that are too high for plain boater folks to make any $$ or break even. But deals can be had if you're there EARLY!!! And there is lot of fun too!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast