Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Sorry, didn't mean to get on a Wilson Creek tangent.
    Don't be sorry! Besides the Highland Games, our trip was all about Wilson Creek. We spent about half our time studying the Wilson Creek map and exploring the south slope of Grandfather Mountain.

I was skeptical about the note on the map that the gravel road was "suitable for passenger cars." Then, while looking for a place to hang, we discovered that there were lots of cars using Edgemont Road, and they were all traveling much faster than we expected. That's what enticed us to go home down that road. Basically, it's the shortcut from Lenoir to Grandfather Mountain, via Collettsville, Globe and Gragg.

Like Hawk-eye said, if it weren't so close to the Big Ditch... At the very least, 421 to Lenoir and up the gravel road is a far nicer way to get to Linville and Grandfather Mountain than going through either Boone or Morganton.

Also, the cabin rentals at Betseys Ole Country Store are available year 'round. That could be a nice place to spend a winter weekend with wifey!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Don't be sorry! Besides the Highland Games, our trip was all about Wilson Creek. We spent about half our time studying the Wilson Creek map and exploring the south slope of Grandfather Mountain.

I was skeptical about the note on the map that the gravel road was "suitable for passenger cars." Then, while looking for a place to hang, we discovered that there were lots of cars using Edgemont Road, and they were all traveling much faster than we expected. That's what enticed us to go home down that road. Basically, it's the shortcut from Lenoir to Grandfather Mountain, via Collettsville, Globe and Gragg.

Like Hawk-eye said, if it weren't so close to the Big Ditch... At the very least, 421 to Lenoir and up the gravel road is a far nicer way to get to Linville and Grandfather Mountain than going through either Boone or Morganton.

Also, the cabin rentals at Betseys Ole Country Store are available year 'round. That could be a nice place to spend a winter weekend with wifey!

- MacEntyre

I love Wilson's creek area, I take day trips up there from time to time but haven't backpacked there since I became a hanger. I've never been down Edgemont road but have been down the globe road from Blowing Rock and Roseborough Rd from Linville.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post

- MacEntyre
    I don't know where you came out, but if you follow the road down alongside Wilson past the campground until it t-bones another road, you can take a right there, and it will come out beside a white church on Hwy 181. Just up 181 from there is the Gingercake Rd access for Table Rock. Two fantastic areas so close together! Dang, now I'm itchin' to go fish Wilson Creek again.

Salty

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I don't know where you came out...
    Yeah, we ended up at Smyrna Baptist church on 181, just around the corner from the road to Table Rock Road. Gingercake Road is much farther north on 181.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234