Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    All these posts and not once the suggestion I thought would be forthcoming....wait for it....can you feel it coming?....

Bridge hammock.

No calf ridge. Other attributes that bother some folks, to be sure. But about laying across that ridge...."Look Ma! No ridge." Definitely worth a try. Two of the things that are in the bridge hammock's disadvantage column---weight of spreader bars, getting a tarp over it----aren't a problem inside.

worth a try if you can get access to one
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I think some part of the calf ridge problem is a mental issue. However, I also have never been able to hang my BB indoors. It seems that I need two trees (or tree-like structures like two posts) where I can slide the suspension up or down to get a lay without calf ridge. Since I don't have anything like that indoors, I'm using a different hammock indoors. My Blackbird is still my go-to hiking hammock, though.

My suggestion would be, get a different hammock to hang indoors. I'm currently using a BIAS Lite Hiker that I modified with mini spreader bars. Don't sell your BB, yet. Just give it some rest, and when you have forgotten about the calf ridge, take it on another hike and try to forget that you ever had ridge issues. I know this is not easy. The first couple of nights, I'm always asking my legs "do you feel a ridge? No? Are you sure??! Isn't there a tightness? Don't you feel it?" It's like being at the dentist and believing that the anesthetization didn't work. If you expect pain, you'll usually find some... Focus on something positive instead, like how much you enjoy sleeping outdoors; how nice the fresh air feels; how soothing the rustling of the trees sounds. Don't give up on your BB, yet!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Hutz provides very good info. Only recently was I able to use an unmodified hammock due to a perceived hyperextension of my knees that caused "pain". The thing that solved that was the xlc. I wanted a blackbird from the day I started hanging and told myself that I would have no sort of problem with the xlc and do not now that I own one. Since, I have slept in my bias, and even my 10 footer diy with zero knee issues. Its all a mind game...

OK, its a possibility...

Happy hangin'
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    It seems that I need two trees (or tree-like structures like two posts) where I can slide the suspension up or down to get a lay without calf ridge.
    It's the same for me.
    I finally got a 14' Brazillian for indoors.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I finally got a 14' Brazillian for indoors----yep me too
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

I'm with Grizz, bridge hammock. WBRR is a good place to start, especially if you can find someone to let you try it out. Whatever else, there is no ridge issue.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Any health or physical changes at all that coincide with the appearance of the calf ridge pressure? Tired muscles? New numbness or tingling in the legs?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet- BlackBird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet-SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ-HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Did your ridgeline change lengths? Not stretch but onee of the burys slip?

Images
    Really interesting about how it didn't become a problem until you moved it indoors after a couple of years, but now you can't get rid of it. But, plenty of others here have had it from the get go, so maybe the question is why you were so lucky for 2 years? I suspect that I did not have the problem at first either, but for the life of me I can not remember for sure. I am pretty sure I have had a few hangs where it was not a problem, but for a long time now it is always a problem(dbl layer 1.7). However, last time it was used was by my son, maybe 15-20 lbs heavier than me, but he had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    Perhaps going full time caused it to stretch a bit, ruining that flat lay and causing the dreaded calf ridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOTGUNWILLIE225 View Post
    I think you are correct. Never expected that.
    That is exactly what I was thinking. Seems like I have seen another thread or posts where it became a problem but was not a problem at first. But if this is the problem, wouldn't it apply to all gathered end hammocks? But, I can also have this problem in my my HH Explorer ULs, though I can usually find a spot without it. But, when I think back to my first year or so of using that hammock, I don't recall having that problem. Now I notice it in most GE hammocks from the 1st use. I have even felt it in my 11 foot WL Lite Hiker dbl layer, though I can usually find an OK sweet spot. Part of the problem might be that, once it becomes enough to be noticeable, that is painful, we become extra aware of it from then on?

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    All these posts and not once the suggestion I thought would be forthcoming....wait for it....can you feel it coming?....

Bridge hammock.

No calf ridge. Other attributes that bother some folks, to be sure. But about laying across that ridge...."Look Ma! No ridge." Definitely worth a try. Two of the things that are in the bridge hammock's disadvantage column---weight of spreader bars, getting a tarp over it----aren't a problem inside.

You beat me to it. As I started reading through the thread just now, I figured that was going to be my 1st recommendation. It is the only guarantee I know of, but of course bridges have their own issues. Still, the main issues to me are always leg pressure and side twist, which have been absent for me with bridges. And absent no matter what, no hunting for a sweet spot or the perfect hang angle or RL length and foot height etc. Plus, I doubt stretch would change things with a bridge, as one of mine is 7+ years old.

Even though I can usually work around it, I can get this problem in all non-bridges. The best non-bridge for me so far have been:
    1: HH No Net Safari, but never used it enough to cause stretch.
    2: Speer 8.5 ( but, knee extension is a problem so I still always need something under my knees just like with the worst GEs, but I'll take that over calf pressure)
    3: Claytor 10 ft No Net dbl layer. I can get pressure, but can always get rid of it, and don't have enough knee extension to bother me, plus can sleep on my side with legs straight without

But the only guarantee for me is any bridge I have tried. Still, for other reasons, I still sometimes choose GEs, either my HH UL Explorer/HHSS combo, or my Claytor/Pea Pod combo. But I have had a few happy trips with my JRB bridges combined with JRB MW UQs.

Has anyone reported calf ridge problems with any of the TTTG/Switchback models?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Lite Owl 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post

Bridge hammock.

I'm considering a bridge hammock. I've heard good things about the ridge runner and the JRB bridge hammock. I'm not too concerned with weight as long the extra weight is worth it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast