Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sewing Machine Advice?

I've kind of dove head first into this DIY sewing thing. I have to admit I really enjoy it... all though I get strange looks walking around Joann's! Oh well..

So any way the machine I have right now is a low grade Brother Machine. it doesnt seam to handle the 100% polyester thread very well and it may just be that is not a very good machine but it jams up a fair bit.

I was looking around for a new one and found this one on amazon HERE A Brother CS6000i

I want to know if brother is a low quality or if it will do just fine?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    One review says it labors on a french seam. Not worth the money. I would definitely pass on it. Go to your local sewing repair shop and get a good serviced used machine.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDieselTwitch View Post
    ...So any way the machine I have right now is a low grade Brother Machine. it doesnt seam to handle the 100% polyester thread very well and it may just be that is not a very good machine but it jams up a fair bit....
    Before buying a new machine, I'd take a hard look at you current setup and techniques. I happen to have a bottom of the line Singer that has few problems with making a good stitch and your brother should be of comparable quality.

In other threads, you have stated that you use "100% Poly Upholstery" thread and have posted photos with lots of zigzag stitching.

If you are using too large diameter of thread for a given needle size, stitches may not form correctly and you get jamming and birds nests.

If you use a thread of heavier weight than a machine is designed to use, the upper and lower tension devices may not work in unison and the result again is poor stitch forming....

I also find zigzag stitching more prone to problems than a straight stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Before buying a new machine, I'd take a hard look at you current setup and techniques. I happen to have a bottom of the line Singer that has few problems with making a good stitch and your brother should be of comparable quality.

In other threads, you have stated that you use "100% Poly Upholstery" thread and have posted photos with lots of zigzag stitching.

If you are using too large diameter of thread for a given needle size, stitches may not form correctly and you get jamming and birds nests.

If you use a thread of heavier weight than a machine is designed to use, the upper and lower tension devices may not work in unison and the result again is poor stitch forming....

I also find zigzag stitching more prone to problems than a straight stitch.
    I have used the outdoor grade of 100% poly. Im guessing that it is a upholstery bread thread. However I don't know enough about my machine to know if it can actually handle the thread. Its a hand me down... Im looking for a newer one. Any brand/model suggestion that might serve me better than another? my bugget is <400$

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have used the outdoor grade of 100% poly. Im guessing that it is a upholstery bread thread. However I don't know enough about my machine to know if it can actually handle the thread. Its a hand me down... Im looking for a newer one. Any brand/model suggestion that might serve me better than another? my bugget is <400$
    Don't spend that kind of money on a machine from Amazon. For that range, go to a place where you try the machines in person. That way you can bring what ever fabric you would normally be using and check the machine out completely. Take some webbing too. That way you _know_ what you are getting and have a relationship with the dealer so you can lick their brain if problems crop up.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    See Ramblinrev's signature for advice. When I want to use a good machine, I use a 1935 Singer 201-2 or a Singer 1950 15-91. Both are straight stitch only.

I don't know anything about sewing machines, Ramblinrev and others know best but, I have that exact machine you listed in your first post (without the table attachment thing) my better half got it for free (someone donated it to her) and it works great for us. We have had some tension issues, but got them worked out with some time and tinkering.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    I have been restoring a 1950's Necchi BU Nova and have learned a lot about sewing machines in general along the way. If you don't need so many stitches, I would suggest looking on Craigslist for an older machine locally, or cruize your local thrift shops and try this yourself... I traded my Kenmore for the Necchi so there was no net money out of my pocket.

Be careful though, older machines can be addicting. All that black and chrome just does something for me...

Alternatively, depending on your current machine's capability, you might just need to clean and oil it - maybe make a couple adjustments along the way.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...Its a hand me down...
    Quote Originally Posted by DBLOCK View Post
    ...you might just need to clean and oil it - maybe make a couple adjustments along the way...
    This is very good advice that the rest of us overlooked and I would start there.

sewing machine advice

check out www.heavysew.com in NC. email Dale for info. he has a ton of knowledge on sewing machines, lots of parts and manuals. he has some machines as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast