Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images

Pinhoti Trail, Mar 16-17, 2009

Monday morning of last week, I started a section of the Pinhoti Trail at Bull Gap near Sylacauga, Alabama.

I loved the irony of the main trail corridor being blue-blazed.

Unfortunately, the pack straps almost immediately began putting enough pressure to my shoulder and chest that a minor muscle pull from the previous week suddenly inflamed badly. I figured as I warmed up, the pain would go away. But even after ibuprofen and cool rain, the throb and occasional shot of pain would hit my chest and shoulder and radiate into my elbow. Still the trail itself was nice enough that I walked on, accepting some discomfort for the joy of a good walk.

Between the pain in my chest and the rain, I tended to ease my head down and carry on. After three hours of non-stop walking, I found myself tired and hoping for a decent break from the rain so I could stop for lunch. Now, true trail magic smiled on me. A dry, wind-sheltered area for a pleasant lunch break.

After a pleasant rest and a bit more ibuprofen, I packed up and headed on. I had planned on heading perhaps as far as Scott Lake, 14 miles in, but for now had my sights set on the picnic shelter at Horn Mountain. At least I would get a bit of a break from the rain. Heath Cliffs, which I imagine normally offers a fantastic view, was a no-verlook in the mist.

Disappointed with no views, I chose to blue-blaze the blueblazes the remaining mile and change to Horn Mountain by walking FS Road 600.

The cold rain, wind, and ibuprofen finally numbed my shoulder to the point where I ate up the distance quickly. The firetower had its lower stairway removed to prevent folks from climbing it.

However, the picnic shelter was reasonably dry. Of course, it was also fairly windy and I rigged my tarp up to provide a windbreak while I heated some water. Though it was early, only a little after 2PM, I decided I was going to sit tight until it stopped raining. Weather reports that morning declared the rain was supposed to end that afternoon. So I kept my options open while I cooked dinner early and hoped to push on to a later campsite in the remaining hours of daylight.

No luck. At 6:45, with less than half an hour of daylight left and rain still coming down, I strung my hammock and prepared to settle in for the night.

I slept very well and awoke to a clear sunrise with very little tension in my shoulder and chest. Packing up, I bushwhacked the 300 yards or so down to the Pinhoti Trail and continued on. Unfortunately the pain was quick to return. I trundled on until I reached the fantastic views at Wormy's Pulpit.

I stopped, rested, took still more ibuprofen, and enjoyed myself for a few minutes. Unlike the day before, the rest did not relieve the pain in my shoulder. I had planned to hike another three days and 40 miles, but I began to have serious doubts.

I continued on toward Scott Lake. I was glad to have waited until a warmer sunny day to cross the outlet stream from Scott Cascade.

The actual crossing point wasn't too terribly deep, just upper calf, but the water was screaming past. I was very glad I had waited another day to cross. The shock of the cold water actually took my mind off my chest for a bit.

But at this point, I had pretty much decided my section hike would end at Porter Gap, another 3 1/2 miles up the trail. I was able to contact my wife who was staying with her parents just a little over an hour away.

The trail, which was already very pleasant, became an amazingly mellow series of sidehill cuts, edging around finger after finger of land. Instead of routing a hiker over one finger after another, the designers and builders had built an almost pefectly level walk to Porter's Gap.

I was incredibly grateful for the hard work that went into an easy walk to the trailhead. By the time I got there, I was no longer using my right trekking pole because the arm was too pained from heat radiating into it. But the next couple days of rest helped tremendously. I hope to be back to my normal hiking regimen soon, and I'm definitely looking forward to returning to the Pinhoti Trail in the fall.

Hammock
    switchback
    great report....sorry to hear about the pain you endured on the trail, but sound slike it was a good time anyway....Just curious what poncho are you wearing in your picture? im still trying to figure out which route i want to go when hiking in the rain...poncho or rain suit...
    thanks

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is a trail that I would like to do. They talk about it on southeasternbackpackers.com a lot.
    Great TR. Take care of that shoulder!
    shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dual Layer 1.7 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Landau 3/16" pad
    Images
    Great pics bearpaw. I am planning on doing this hike with my teenage boys next month. I live about an hour from where you started in Sylacauga. So what did you find out was causing the pain? Did you pull a muscle?

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grillmastertoo View Post
    Just curious what poncho are you wearing in your picture?
    It's a Gatewood Cape from Six Moon Designs. It really provides much better rain and wind protection than a traditional poncho. I could also rig it as a shelter or gear storage area if need be.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeShazo View Post
    So what did you find out was causing the pain? Did you pull a muscle?
    I'm the stupid stubborn type. I haven't gone to the doctor yet. It has improved a fair bit, though it still flairs a bit if I overwork the shoulder. I'm fairly certain it's a pulled muscle. I deal with it from time to time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I'm the stupid stubborn type. I haven't gone to the doctor yet. It has improved a fair bit, though it still flairs a bit if I overwork the shoulder. I'm fairly certain it's a pulled muscle. I deal with it from time to time at work.
    Thanks for sharing...and see an ortho doc about your shoulder. Probably one bad PLF too many. I'm getting my rotator cuff repaired soon, that is an injury that is easy to fix early in the game but more difficult the worse it gets, IE, the longer you "suck it up".

I always wondered if a Gatewood Cape would cover a pack, now I know.

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Sounds like you enjoyed the trip in spite of the pain, The Pinhoti is a great trail with some nice views and unlimited places to hang. We talked about putting together a hang this coming fall or winter combined with a section or two of the trail. Maybe the shoulder will be better by then.

Hammock
    switchback
    Skippy--
    Keep me in mind for that Pinhoti hang.....it is a beautiful place, at least the little bit i have seen....take care...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast