Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    I haven't tried that but I would think that you may lose some side coverage with a pad instead of an underquilt when going with a top quilt vs. bag. The underquilt wraps up around you on the sides some where as a pad lays flat and would not. A bag solves this problem by wrapping around your sides. With a flat top quilt you may need to wrap it around you and tuck it underneath you a bit to get the sides to cover enough. Just a thought, I cannot verify this since I haven't tried it and likely won't since I have an underquilt/bag setup currently. I'd like to get a top quilt at some point instead of a bag for use with my underquilt. To me that would be the ultimate combo.
    A Speer SPE will solve the side issue. Very simple solution to a common problem.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    A Speer SPE will solve the side issue. Very simple solution to a common problem.
    I forgot about that one. I viable solution for sure but it would be one extra thing to have to haul along.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    I forgot about that one. I viable solution for sure but it would be one extra thing to have to haul along.
    And that's why I'm a UQ dude these days.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    How about using a TQ without an UQ? Just a CCF pad with a TQ. Besides the pad-discomfort issues, would that combination work?

I'm just getting started with hammock camping. I'll be going along with my son's Boy Scout troop on their outings and need to be able to use my setup on the ground if we end up in a place without anything to hang from. Hence the pad vs. UQ.

So assuming I'll be using a pad in the hammock, would the Speer be too small? JRB work okay? Convert an old sleeping bag? DIY? What do you think?
    I have for now a 3/8 volara and 40F bag used as a quilt, which got me to 40 down here in FL one night. I am a warm sleeper, was in skivies and was just ok(kids said I was snoring so bad the hogs were frightened!). More loft up top would have been fine. A 3 season 30F bag used as a quilt would seem to be ok down to 30's with CCF pad. Get padding from a foam dealer and cut to size. Wide is nice.
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    How about using a TQ without an UQ? Just a CCF pad with a TQ. Besides the pad-discomfort issues, would that combination work?

I'm just getting started with hammock camping. I'll be going along with my son's Boy Scout troop on their outings and need to be able to use my setup on the ground if we end up in a place without anything to hang from. Hence the pad vs. UQ.

So assuming I'll be using a pad in the hammock, would the Speer be too small? JRB work okay? Convert an old sleeping bag? DIY? What do you think?
    I have taken a speer TQ with overstuff and 2 wally world pads in a home made SPE to 28*F. Stayed very warm!
    I have thought about adding 4-5" of material on either side of the quilt extending about a 10-12" from the head end. This material could be tucked under your shoulders keeping the quilt nice and snug.
    Pads can be a annoying to deal with but they work well for getting started. I think most everyone would go for an underquilt once everything else is purchased and the wallet rebounds. Pads got me through this winter but I will have a UQ for the next!

Hammock
    "Binford 3600" DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon 10x10
    Insulation
    CCF & Mylar pad
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I have taken a speer TQ with overstuff and 2 wally world pads in a home made SPE to 28*F. Stayed very warm!
    Good to know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Pads can be a annoying to deal with but they work well for getting started. I think most everyone would go for an underquilt once everything else is purchased and the wallet rebounds. Pads got me through this winter but I will have a UQ for the next!
    Yeah, I'm sure I'll evolve! I first want to make sure the areas we go to will give me something to hang off. If I have to go to the ground, I want to have the pad. If I go through a season or two without having to go to the ground, then I'll probably be ready for an UQ. Time will tell....
    -- Tim Taylor

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123