Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It was a good looking quilt, too. Recommend using red velcro if you use red shell material...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Next time. Have some more down ideas, but I moved somewhere that doesn't see the deep freeze in winter.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Go for making it yourself. It was easier than I thought. Minus the price of my machine and stuff, the materials in the 2 quilts came out to about $130 per quilt and about a day each.

I have directions linked up on the homepage. Just a bunch of straight lines.

which machine did you get?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Why any hammocker would think they need anything other than a No-Sniveler (or it's warmer version) is beyond me...just add the JRB Hood of course.
    TAK, you on the payroll?
    For a dedicated TQ, I wouldn't want a rectangle quilt. Too much wasted material from the waist down (IMO)
    Not hacking on JRB, but there are plenty of other options and not everyone wants the same stuff.
    HYOH
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    For a dedicated TQ, I wouldn't want a rectangle quilt. Too much wasted material from the waist down (IMO)
    What would be ideal for a TQ then? I need to upgrade my top insulation for the Northern Hang next month. I want something pretty light weight, warm and good quality but not at the ridiculous price of a Western Mountaineering bag. My bottom insulation is a 3 season Yeti.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    What would be ideal for a TQ then? I need to upgrade my top insulation for the Northern Hang next month. I want something pretty light weight, warm and good quality but not at the ridiculous price of a Western Mountaineering bag. My bottom insulation is a 3 season Yeti.
    The popular shape is a trapezoid (or coffinish)...depending on your height, weight etc.
    A general size would be head end width 48" tapered to the foot end at 30", 78" long.
    You can save about 2-3 oz in down weight alone (winter weight) tapering the quilt down.
    Your ideal size my vary.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    TAK, you on the payroll?
    Not hacking on JRB, but there are plenty of other options and not everyone wants the same stuff.
    HYOH
    Not on the payroll. JRB stuff is multi-use by philosophy. Narrowing the foot would preclude use as an UQ, or at least make it less workable. I'm guessing you'd save about an ounce and a half to narrow a standard No Sniveler from 48in to 38in from the waist down. If I were going to make one, I'd likely do that. Since NO ONE ELSE has bothered to make a wearable quilt, I'll just continue to carry the "weight". If you wanted to narrow your own, it would be really simple to do. A slight increase in thermal efficiency from the smaller footbox would likely be an added improvement.
    Last edited by Take-a-knee; 09-08-2009 at 14:48.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I really subscribe to the K.I.S.S. approach to a lot of things and quilts is one of them.

One can save a good deal of money by DIY and I applaud those who do. OTOH, you could just write a check for a good quality, multi-use product and then go on with life. That's what I chose to do when I purchased my JRB Nest and No Sniveler and I haven't looked back.

Some day I may need to worry about an ounce or two here or there, but as long as I am carrying 25+ more pounds around the waist than I should, the extra ounces on a well fitted supporting pack aren't that big a deal to me.

Now I like DIY and enjoy playing with stoves and am about to embark on some tarp, snake skin, and stuff sack production and when I gain confidence there, may move up to down. In the mean time, I'll use the gear I have or what I pick up on sale, at thrift stores, or on here.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
    which machine did you get?
    My Grandma from an old 1960's singer for me at her sewing machine repair shop for around $250 I think. Works great.

Oh and you don't want a red one. Red is a horrible color.

I have only saw one other red one, I like the idea of having a color most peoplee don't.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

RED and black is what I want

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast