Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I hung in my Jeep, someone else on here (Trooper?) posted pics of hanging inside an Isuzu Trooper. Neo was modding a vehicle, another Trooper maybe, to hang a hammock...but I don't think he posted pics.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearJeepHammock.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

any more info on this subject?

Thinking of coming back to the states for a few months and hanging inside of a van.

Just curious if one hammock will fit on a diagnol going from the passenger door diagnol back to the back rear door pillar. Has anyone done anything like this?

I see in jewlers post it fits but not sure of the size of the van. Almost looks a lot bigger than a normal passenger van. Anybody got any insight on this?

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    There are vans, and then, there are vans...what are you calling a "normal passenger van?" A full size Chevy, Ford, or Dodge van has plenty of room for a hammock. Smaller vans, like the Ford Transit and all "mini vans" will prove more challenging, and require a certain amount of athleticism on the part of the user.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by team FTB View Post
    Thinking of coming back to the states for a few months and hanging inside of a van.

Just curious if one hammock will fit on a diagnol going from the passenger door diagnol back to the back rear door pillar. Has anyone done anything like this?

I see in jewlers post it fits but not sure of the size of the van. Almost looks a lot bigger than a normal passenger van. Anybody got any insight on this?

Thanks in advance.
    Jewlers van is an ambulance...lots-o-room. I have an e250. Also lots of room if i could only convince the SO i won't damage anything
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Panel trucks? Like in 1966?...
    Had one way back when the earth was still cooling...miss that truck!
    I miss that time...

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelers View Post
    Here is a photo of me hard at work! Hammock inside a van
    That's the strangest recreational vehicle I've ever seen. Ever hang in the morgue?
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    There are vans, and then, there are vans...what are you calling a "normal passenger van?" A full size Chevy, Ford, or Dodge van has plenty of room for a hammock. Smaller vans, like the Ford Transit and all "mini vans" will prove more challenging, and require a certain amount of athleticism on the part of the user.
    Relevant question, well I've already got a Chrysler minivan that I was thinking of yanking all the seats except driver and passsenger, then outfitting the interior for primitive car camping with a hammock for4 dirt biking and skiing. Soooo could a mini van be utilized??

Nice to hear that a full size American van will work. If anyone has more pics that would be great. I would like to try out the mini van for cheap and see if it all works out. If I'm enjoying myself then pick up a mid 90's full size domestic van for more plush camping comfort.

If a hammock could be utilized then it saves me from having to fab up a bed strucure for the van and saves room obviously which in a van is at a premium if you're living out of it for a week at a time.

I'm currently using a WBBB hammock for my jungle camping. This model seems longer than my HHULBP that I had before. Is this correct? Since I'm only 5'6" I'm assuming I could get away with a smaller hammock and still lay relatively flat. What other hammocks would work well for the van camping since I won't need Double layers, netting or tarps.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by millarky View Post
    Jewlers van is an ambulance...lots-o-room. I have an e250. Also lots of room if i could only convince the SO i won't damage anything

Milarky have you tried to string out the hammock in your E250 yet, you know when she wasn't looking?

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by team FTB View Post
    Relevant question, well I've already got a Chrysler minivan that I was thinking of yanking all the seats except driver and passsenger, then outfitting the interior for primitive car camping with a hammock for4 dirt biking and skiing. Soooo could a mini van be utilized??

Nice to hear that a full size American van will work. If anyone has more pics that would be great. I would like to try out the mini van for cheap and see if it all works out. If I'm enjoying myself then pick up a mid 90's full size domestic van for more plush camping comfort.

If a hammock could be utilized then it saves me from having to fab up a bed strucure for the van and saves room obviously which in a van is at a premium if you're living out of it for a week at a time.

I'm currently using a WBBB hammock for my jungle camping. This model seems longer than my HHULBP that I had before. Is this correct? Since I'm only 5'6" I'm assuming I could get away with a smaller hammock and still lay relatively flat. What other hammocks would work well for the van camping since I won't need Double layers, netting or tarps.

Thanks all.
    I think that's something you're going to have to figure out. Find or make the smallest hammock you can get comfortable in and hang it in the shortest configuration you can stand and get out the tape measure and figure it out. Work it out with a bed sheet if you need to.

Once you get those figures it should be easy to take the tape to the van and see if it will fit before you remove anything.

Your Chrysler is short in length but also not very tall so it would be tight but I'm sure it can be done.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Here's a pic that Smokehouse took at a recent hang...pardon the mess.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1041111...13548897670978

I elected to use a steel hammock stand, rather than hanging from the van itself. That allows the hammock to tuck in close to the driver's side side wall, freeing up the remaining space in the van. The van is a standard length, half ton Chev, and the hammock is a GT Double.

Hppyfngy makes a good point: height of hang is critical if you're to preserve adequate sag and concurrently, ground clearance.

I looked at this pretty hard before buying my van...I hope this helps, and will be glad to answer any questions you may have.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag

Consider the Bridge

From my memory of the 88 Grand Caravan it had 8 feet on the floor behind the front seats. Hang a bridge hammock from the four corners of that box and you should have plenty of room for the hammock. You would not need the spreader bars with that type of suspension.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast