Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks, again

MedicineMan and G.L.P.: Thanks so much for the insight. I truly appreciate it!!

SoCal Mike

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't put a bad against my back ....just pack my OHM making sure nothing is poking my back. All good to go.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I use a 3/4 length underquilt which still requires a pad for my legs (feet to mid-thigh). I fold that smaller pad and place it as a backpanel in the pack.

BTW, Backpackinglight just did some comparative tests of frameless packs. They used the same pack and in one they put the pad in as a tube around the packs perimeter and in the other they folded the pad and placed it at the back panel. The folded pad in the back panel supported the pack more than the tube method.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Frameless pack

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I use a 3/4 length underquilt which still requires a pad for my legs (feet to mid-thigh). I fold that smaller pad and place it as a backpanel in the pack.

BTW, Backpackinglight just did some comparative tests of frameless packs. They used the same pack and in one they put the pad in as a tube around the packs perimeter and in the other they folded the pad and placed it at the back panel. The folded pad in the back panel supported the pack more than the tube method.
    It's interesting that they reached those results. I think the last time I read up on this at BPL, most guys rolled their pad around the perimeter. I haven't read the article so I'm not sure if they tried to explain scientifically which way was best or just used anecdotal evidence.

When you say you fold the pad, I presume you are just folding it in half and placing it on the back panel? Or do you fold it in an "L" shape with one part flat on your back and the other part sitting on the bottom of the pack--so the rest of your gear goes on top of that part and "anchors" down the pad? Just curious about what approach you take.

I'm hoping to get out to play today. I might pretend I'm going backpacking and load up my gear in the Virga and play around a bit to see what works.

Thanks to all!

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    i put my quilts in the bottom of the pack.. then my hammock and some cloths... then food in the middle against my back and pack cloths and my ditty bag in from of that ... then my cooking kit and water if i use a bladder..
    if i'm using bottles they ride on the straps of my pack...
    i only use a bladder in the dead of summer when i know it will be dry and hot out ...

once you get a system down for packing it's easy ... if i take a pad i don't use it against my back..i just put it on the outside of the pack.. since i'm so use to not using a pad and with a UL load a pad really isn't needed if you ask me
    I pack almost the same as GLP. I fold ccf pad put in pack. stuff loose quilts in the bottom. then hammock in stuff sack. if any clothes, then tarp in sack or mesh sleeves. TP towards top, food towards top. outside pockets carry stove, first aid, hygeine, firekit. gatorade bottles on straps

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Mike View Post
    I haven't read the article so I'm not sure if they tried to explain scientifically which way was best or just used anecdotal evidence.

When you say you fold the pad, I presume you are just folding it in half and placing it on the back panel?
    BPL actually measured the amount of collapse of the pack under heavy load in each configuration. Once a pack collapses, it's not transferring the weight to the waist belt.

I fold mine so that it has 3 layers and is only touching the back panel. The size of your pad will determine how many layers it folds to.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Great source of info here, everyone. Thanks for the post SoCalMike!

Frameless pack

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    BPL actually measured the amount of collapse of the pack under heavy load in each configuration. Once a pack collapses, it's not transferring the weight to the waist belt.

I fold mine so that it has 3 layers and is only touching the back panel. The size of your pad will determine how many layers it folds to.
    Perfect. Thanks, again. BPL always seems to do a bang up job on their articles. Kudos to them.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchCinch
    Just found this article, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the tips! I just bought a six moons designs Swift pack from a member here and wasn't sure what to use since I don't need a ground pad. Sounds as if it's not necessary, but I may do that foam sit-pad idea.

Hammock
    DIY Timber Wolf or Grey Wolf
    Tarp
    DIY Wolf Den
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear, UGQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    My sit pad becomes my frame. At night it goes under my legs if I need more warmth...or it stays on the ground as a "floor mat" to stand on.
    The beauty of sunsets,
    The wind in the pines,
    The mountains give these and more...
    Peace of mind.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast