Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    As bacon-grease said, you can also get into a bit of trouble with your wife. They get around to trying out the NX250, decide that they like it, and next thing you know they want one as well. Just now she is looking over the Vertex model so she can come along with me. Up front they do look too expensive, but looking back I am totally happy with mine.

Hammock
    Clark nx-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ
    Suspension
    strap and buckle
    Images
    I sure hope you guys are right, I just ordered my first hammock, the nx-250, and I can't wait till it arrives... I even had permission from my wife first

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Your a lucky man. You better bring home some flowers for her... LOL...
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images

DemostiX nails it again

I have to read more of your posts, I think you should be promoted to Wise Old Owl Status.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, Claytor Jungle, ENO
    Tarp
    Vertex & Super Fly
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Rings

I hope so....

I'm hoping its worth the $$$$, because I ordered one last week. I have always found, you get what you pay for in gear... I have 6 tents & 4 different style & brand sleeping pads... all for trying to sleep good at night & feel good in the morning... after sleeping a few hours in my Eno, I was hooked on the hanging theory.

I never thought about breaking it down, like mentioned above, but it makes it logical to me.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Demo makes a convincing argument.

I also have a 250, and it is the berries when conditions are foul. I tend to gravitate to a Warbonnet BlackBird in the summer, but I love the 250 in fall/winter/spring conditions.

Jim

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bacon_grease View Post
    I suppose it has something to do with not wanting to be a bear pinata...
    You've made the best of it. A preference to be more like an expensively- plated fillet of dover sole then.

-----
    But, really.....
    I have in mind that after spending all those $ on an expensive sleeping bag AND tent, AND footprint AND $25 pads AND $75 pads AND still not getting much rest because those pads either outright failed, or failed to provide sufficient cushioning or were too heavy, or too cold, or too narrow, or too short, the tent camper finally spends Clark NX- like dollars for the latest portable mattress. Which may still include come with instructions on how to be comfortable all night on a 20" wide mattress on the ground.
    --------
    I give attention to these pads, because their presence in the market points out that a bag and a tent are not enough for many folks to be comfortable, much as they thought to get by cheaper.

---------

There is a thread or sticky on hammock camping self-put-together packages at many price levels, suggested by HF members.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 w/ ridgeline & NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    As bacon-grease said, you can also get into a bit of trouble with your wife. They get around to trying out the NX250, decide that they like it, and next thing you know they want one as well. Just now she is looking over the Vertex model so she can come along with me. Up front they do look too expensive, but looking back I am totally happy with mine.
    No danger of her wanting a Vertex. She likes the separation between her ears and my snoring!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyturf View Post
    I sure hope you guys are right, I just ordered my first hammock, the nx-250, and I can't wait till it arrives... I even had permission from my wife first
    You asked permission? WOW.

I've always held the philosophy it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    You've made the best of it. A preference to be more like an expensively- plated fillet of dover sole then.
    Oh, heck, I'm in the cheap hammock - the NX-200 - so I'm just a plate of catfish nuggets.

SWMBO is the dover sole with the high dollar hammock

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    -----
    But, really.....
    I have in mind that after spending all those $ on an expensive sleeping bag AND tent, AND footprint AND $25 pads AND $75 pads AND still not getting much rest because those pads either outright failed, or failed to provide sufficient cushioning or were too heavy, or too cold, or too narrow, or too short, the tent camper finally spends Clark NX- like dollars for the latest portable mattress. Which may still include come with instructions on how to be comfortable all night on a 20" wide mattress on the ground.
    --------
    I give attention to these pads, because their presence in the market points out that a bag and a tent are not enough for many folks to be comfortable, much as they thought to get by cheaper.

---------

There is a thread or sticky on hammock camping self-put-together packages at many price levels, suggested by HF members.
    We've all bought something cheap hoping for the best and sometimes it pays off but most of the time we spend two or three times the cost of the "too expensive" option... but that's a good thing. Imagine how many of our favorite camping outlets would go belly up if we bought the right thing the first time!

I'm reminded of an overnight last Thanksgiving with a ground dweller. He had a Coleman air mattress in his tent. Not a self inflating air pad, a full size air mattress like the queen size I carry in the back of my van for sleeping. As I watched him inflate that monster with the battery pump - from the comfort of my 'borrowed' NX-250 - all I could think of was "Man, I hope those batteries hold up... he'll want to use my tire pump if they don't"

All told, his gear cost more than I had in my set up - it weighed well more than double - it took six or seven times longer to set up - it took up five times the space in the saddlebags. And, somehow, I still slept better / warmer than he did that night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast