Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Cool Keeping it cool

I've been digging through threads and most of the accessory info I've read is for winter/cold weather and how to keep from freezing yer rump off. I live in the south where cold weather is defined as "not humid" and it can get down right unbearable to sleep in at times- you can only take off so much clothing.

I was wondering what other hangers did to keep cool during the dog days. I've been looking into getting a small portable battery operated fan i could possibly hang from a ridge line and have it shooting deliciously cool air (more like thick and muggy but beggars can't be choosers) as i sleep but I've not been able to turn up anything from my search here and virtually everything i found shopping seems to be too heavy and bulky. Anyone have an suggestions or experience with certain portable fans or other means of keeping it cool during the long summer nights?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Welcome to the forums toygun, I also live in the south, (completely against my will of course). Specifically, the deep dark swamps of South Georgia. I started a thread here that may be of interest to you. I hadn't considered the heat at night.

Your question gave me this idea. It takes 2 D cells and can run for hours. A simple rig to a ridgeline and Bob's your uncle. A co-worker used this a while back and it worked great.

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webb & buckl.
    Images
    I've noticed that svinging back and forth creates its own wind. You don't need a fan, you just need someone to gently rock you throug the night

Sorry that I couldt give a real contribution. Good luck in your search.
    If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

I am learning from my mistakes, so I can make better and bigger mistakes.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    LOL @ Harstad

And thanks for the reply and welcome, Shnick. Yup I eyed the O2Cool 5 incher http://www.amazon.com/O2-cool-5-Inch...d_sim_sbs_hg_1 but wasn't sure if it would still be too bulky to have it dangling above my face. (yeaaaah that didn't sound right). Good to know someone with experience using one has positive results. For less that $15 experimenting is probably worth it.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Also, I might add that a bugnet does block a small amount of wind thats needed to carry the heat away.
    I still feel a bit of cooling on my back, but the wind is needed to notice the difference. camping next to an open lake/river helps.

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    So in my experience the things that help us Southern boys cool off at night are:

• Camping near water, Open water such as a lake creates a small costal wind effect where as camping near a river seems to create a steady wind direction all night.
    • Place a wet bandana or pack towel over your chest and the evaporation of moisture will work like a heat pump helping pulling heat from your body.
    • A small battery operated fan hung from the ridgeline creates a steady breeze tillt he batteries run out. Try hanging it at one end so that it blows over your entire body.
    • If you can't afford the batteries for the fan, because lets face they can get heavy in your pack, find a nice Southern Baptist grandmother to go camping with you and setup down wind of her church fan. Because let's be honest they can really get those things going.

Even the lightest of breezes feels great in a hammock, and although we need the bugneting in the hottest of months, we can still stay comfortably cool with good site selection and some forethought.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    So in my experience the things that help us Southern boys cool off at night are:

• Camping near water, Open water such as a lake creates a small costal wind effect where as camping near a river seems to create a steady wind direction all night.
    • Place a wet bandana or pack towel over your chest and the evaporation of moisture will work like a heat pump helping pulling heat from your body.
    • A small battery operated fan hung from the ridgeline creates a steady breeze tillt he batteries run out. Try hanging it at one end so that it blows over your entire body.
    • If you can't afford the batteries for the fan, because lets face they can get heavy in your pack, find a nice Southern Baptist grandmother to go camping with you and setup down wind of her church fan. Because let's be honest they can really get those things going.

Even the lightest of breezes feels great in a hammock, and although we need the bugneting in the hottest of months, we can still stay comfortably cool with good site selection and some forethought.
    Unfortunately, the additional difficulty of actually finding a Southern Baptist Grandmother (known hereafter as "SBG") willing to go where I go is a hair more than a few d-cells, thanks for the great idea but not logically/commercially viable. I'll pass... Besides, all I'd hear would be "clean up that mess" and "you're not gonna put that in your pack unfolded are you? (not to mention the SBG's favorite "are we there yet?"

...etc.

Shnick

On and on and on...
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toygun View Post
    LOL @ Harstad

And thanks for the reply and welcome, Shnick. Yup I eyed the O2Cool 5 incher http://www.amazon.com/O2-cool-5-Inch...d_sim_sbs_hg_1 but wasn't sure if it would still be too bulky to have it dangling above my face. (yeaaaah that didn't sound right). Good to know someone with experience using one has positive results. For less that $15 experimenting is probably worth it.
    It really aint that big and pack a mini wind tunnel of force. The money is right as well. Pull the trigger.

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

• + New Posts