Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images

A newbie's view

Brand new to this. I've made 5 hammocks, used all sorts of whipping, all trying to find the elusive flat lay. I have a 12' version I use try different whippings, shorten the length, and do all sorts of adjustments.

Here's what I've found. Lay in it a while (hours). Adjust the sag a little (usually I add more sag), lay in a while longer.

I received an ENO for a gift so I decided I would lay in one that I knew folks said was comfortable and find out what it was supposed to feel like. I have spent a lot of time (0 nights) but lots of hours hanging in the ENO Double nest 68"Wx9'-10" long, I think. Without adjusting a thing, all of a sudden, I wiggled and scooted the right way and got real close to flat and very comfortable. The sag was way more than I thought I needed, close to 40-45 degrees in the support lines.

I was able to lay on my side comfortably and fell asleep for a little nap.

I don't ever think I have been dead flat, like laying on the floor, but now that I have found out how it's supposed to lay, I don't think dead flat is what I was looking for after all.

If you are like me, you are having more fun making them than sleeping in them.

Take a few naps.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    Brand new to this. I've made 5 hammocks, used all sorts of whipping, all trying to find the elusive flat lay. I have a 12' version I use try different whippings, shorten the length, and do all sorts of adjustments.

Here's what I've found. Lay in it a while (hours). Adjust the sag a little (usually I add more sag), lay in a while longer.

I received an ENO for a gift so I decided I would lay in one that I knew folks said was comfortable and find out what it was supposed to feel like. I have spent a lot of time (0 nights) but lots of hours hanging in the ENO Double nest 68"Wx9'-10" long, I think. Without adjusting a thing, all of a sudden, I wiggled and scooted the right way and got real close to flat and very comfortable. The sag was way more than I thought I needed, close to 40-45 degrees in the support lines.

I was able to lay on my side comfortably and fell asleep for a little nap.

I don't ever think I have been dead flat, like laying on the floor, but now that I have found out how it's supposed to lay, I don't think dead flat is what I was looking for after all.

If you are like me, you are having more fun making them than sleeping in them.

Take a few naps.
    make a DIY bridge...fun to make AND flat as your floor!
    BTW, welcome to the forum
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images

Plan to

I plan to make one eventually. Tarps and some G4 packs are my next projects.

I came across some 1.1oz SilNylon remnants for VERY cheap (<$1 yd) so I bought all they had except blaze orange. Most pieces are 68" wide by 68" -180" long. Unfortunately, the colors are red, blue, yellow, etc., but it was cheap.

I also bought some 1.1 ripstop with DWR finish in OD green, about 50'x68" wide for less than 1/yd.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1, WB Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe, SWT
    Insulation
    Te-wa TQ+UQ, MW3
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Lay flat

I can lay almost flat in a jrb bmbh. Not so in a HH.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerrx7 View Post
    Is it really possilbe to lay flat in a hammock? I can get close in some DIY's I'm working on, but it seems My knees are still slightly hyper-extended. For reference, the two hammocks I'm working on now are rougly 56'' wide by 9' and 11'. The 11' comes close but I know it's way to long for a good backpacking hammock set up. The Hennessy site show's most of theirs under 10' and only 48'' wide. I just don't see how 48'' would give enough room to lay diagonally and flat without my feet hanging over the edge of the hammock. I'm 6'2'', 230lbs.

I'm thinking of making one extra wide, say 84'' and see if that helps.
    bimmerrx7, et al,

It is time to correct this misstatement on the HH width....All of the models listed on HH web site are 63, 64, 65, 70 inches wide except the scout model which is smaller...Check the data on the HH comparision chart to confirm.

While we are on the subject most have 120 inch bed length and 100 inch ridgeline length which is near identical to the WBBB, which is stated as 120 inch bed and 101 inch ridgeline. The larger HH Explorer and Safari are even longer. The lay on the HH BULA and WBBB are near identical, less the slit ridge, which may or may not affect any specific individual, IMHO... The larger Explorer is even more comfortable,and flatter for an average size person, at least I found it so.

Clearly larger will pay off in comfort at sleep time... It will also have some minor weight penalty.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    The lay on the HH BULA and WBBB are near identical, less the slit ridge, which may or may not affect any specific individual, IMHO...
    I moved from the HHULBA to the WBBB and found that it feels less claustrophobic and I can spread out more. Perhaps the dimensions are close enough to be identical, but the experience is not. Likely this is because the cut of the hammock and shape of the bugnet are that much different than the HH. YMMV.

Images
    that has alot to do with where the corners of the hammock are. in the bb they are at one's head and feet, giving more head/foot room and should give a flatter lay as well, just like the asym hh and an old symmetric hh of the same length would not have the same lay.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I moved from the HHULBA to the WBBB and found that it feels less claustrophobic and I can spread out more.
    I have an ULBA as well, and when HappyCamper sent me her WBBB to try out, I had the same experience! It definitely feels less claustrophobic!

HappyCamper doesn't know how close she came to not getting her hammock back!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12