Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    *20 Phoenix
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Wish I could have made this one. Thanks for the report. I was at the house watching the weather for the area and saw how cold it was going to be. Glad you had a good time. One day...

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    I personally think its way way more easier to use a trash compactor bag (of which I use a cuben pack liner from Zpacks myself and for the wife's pack also) to load my hammock, TQ & UQ and pillow and everythhing that is bagged (only 2 or 3 bags separate total) and its just so much easier, faster, and more simplistic than packing/unpacking everything into its own bag each. Tarp is a different matter especially if its inclimate weather its packed byself and goes up first and then everything else hung second. Nice report.
    Yeah, my tarp is rolled up in skins and stuck in one of the side pockets of the Ohm. I love the weight of cuben, but my zpacks cuben dry sack isn't as dry anymore. I might need to make my own version out of .74oz cuben with a round double taped bottom and just make a long tube without the clips for closure so I can "elephant trunk" the top of the bag closed. That seems to work for many long distance hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Nice video FIMB! Your trip with Detailman makes me want to try out Pisgah in the winter too.

Thanks for the commentary on layering and temps along the way (you too DetailMan).
    You're welcome. DM is a great hiking companion. It is fun to pick each others' brains.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Poof-a-Nog's Cousin!!
    Stool on the Ohm!!
    LoR music!!
    VBS shirt!!
    Hiking with DetailMan has got to be a blessing-KNOWLEDGEABLE on EVERYTHING!!
    Just looked like a wonderful relaxed trip where skills and knowledge could be shared without the mile monster making even a conversation rushed.
    Glad you got out there and thanks for the shout out FIMB.
    Noted you are now a living canvas for the inkster
    I'm glad you picked up all my references. I was wondering if anyone would notice the LotR music. I've really taken a liking to that stool, and the cuben seat makes me smile too.

DetailMan is definitely a compendium of knowledge and a a witty fellow to boot. I hope to hike with him again soon enough.

This tattoo was my first from Clint, but my second overall. Both hold significant meaning to me and were approved of by the wife before the needle was laid (as my body is equally hers as it is mine and knowing she likes what she sees is important to me).

Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Looks like you had a good trip. Thanks for sharing.
    It was great. I look forward to another winter trip once I have some more toys to play with. I have seen you've been more and more active too.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaussinator View Post
    I always look forward to your videos. Thanks, awesome as always!

-Klauss
    Well shucks. Thanks, Klauss. You're welcome for the videos. They are a nice reminder after the trip is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Mmmm....Fudge Rounds! Some really nice woods there.
    Yes! Fudge Rounds! They didn't freeze too hard at 20F so they made for a nice snack while everything else was being prepared. I have now decided to try them with Justin's Almond Nut Butter when I head back out to those beautiful woods. I wish my camera could catch the stars like we saw them.

Quote Originally Posted by BigA View Post
    Wish I could have made this one. Thanks for the report. I was at the house watching the weather for the area and saw how cold it was going to be. Glad you had a good time. One day...
    You'll get to come out and play soon enough. Family comes first. You embody that. It was chilly for sure, but it was a great trip. One day indeed...
    Last edited by FireInMyBones; 02-08-2013 at 23:13.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Looks like a fun trip, what kind of knee braces did you try out and how did you like them?
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Looks like a great trip, jeremy. Lots of learning going on there. Thanks for taking us along.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    Looks like a fun trip, what kind of knee braces did you try out and how did you like them?
    I used Futuro Active Knit knee stabilizers with a gell ring around the patella area. They seemed to work very well on the knees, but pinched the back side of my knees (like the knee's arm pit). I had some chaffing behind the knees after the trip from that pinching. I think that I'm too active for the active knit.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Rust View Post
    Looks like a great trip, jeremy. Lots of learning going on there. Thanks for taking us along.
    It was. You are welcome.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Wonderful video there, FIMB!

Detail Man is a great guy to spend a weekend with. I enjoyed meeting him at the 3rd Annual FL Hang.

I agree that the twenties and thirties are where temperatures become difficult. Managing moisture has definitely been key the few times I've spent out in those temps. I've been lucky so far in that it hasn't stayed below 40* for longer than six or eight hours at a clip, and I've yet to have to deal with snow in the field (sledding as a kid doesn't count ).

Those thin ankle socks you had on, were they synthetic or wool? My day hike experience on the AT over Christmas had me doing stream crossings and stepping in puddles in the middle of the trail, and I found that a pair of Smartwool socks will keep my feet warm while I'm moving--even when it's 40* and my feet are wet. Wondering if you had any input on that for colder temperatures...but I see also that you managed to keep your feet dry on that stream crossing.

I saw that you had a base layer, a fleece layer, and your rain jacket. Did you have a puffy layer for your upper body (I caught the portion about the pants, but not the upper body), and--if not--do you think it might have enough of a difference for around camp comfort to be worth the weight?

Glad that hot Nalgene canteen worked out well for you in the hammock. It's always nice to have unfrozen water for "coffee" in the mornings, too!

Regarding cold fingers while hiking: I made my first pair of fleece convertible mittens for the ride into the 3rd Annual Hang this year, and they're a wonderful addition to my pack. It might be worth picking up an half yard of fleece for that; all you need to do is reinforce the cutouts when you make 'em convertible (I've found that, since they're in a high-wear area, the cuts tend to widen; a pair of patches of grosgrain on the ends of the cuts will prevent that). They kept my fingers warm on the bike in the mid-40s with a constant ten MPH wind chill, with me wearing a short sleeve shirt. They'd probably be good for another ten degrees under similar conditions. If I'd been actually using my hands to grip and push (like with poles) instead of simply holding something steady, I'd say that they'd probably be good down into the mid-20s with the same wind chill.

Interesting to see the icicles in among the mountain laurel there. It just looks odd, to see a full-leafed plant with icicles forming on it. I always associate evergreens with needles rather than leaves...guess I've always just lived at too low of an altitude.

Beautiful scenery, and an informative video. Thanks for taking us along!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Darien UL/WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Geaar
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch
    great video as usual...thanks for sharing.
    what was the layering you were showing for your socks?

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Nice trip, could you post some pictures of your hammock suspension and explain it to me? I'm interested!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Wonderful video there, FIMB!

Beautiful scenery, and an informative video. Thanks for taking us along!
    Thanks there, sir. I am using the Darn Tough Merino Wool No Show Mesh Sock. If I have to get my feet wet, I will, but I'd rather stay as dry as possible. If I get wet, I want to move faster than we were.
    I did bring a Montbell Ex Light Jacket. But I think that I would be warmer with the jacket along with a VBL. I will most likely make a cuben mitten that can be used over my fleece gloves or under a set of fleece mitts.

There is nothing quite like the southern Appalachians in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by engine386 View Post
    great video as usual...thanks for sharing.
    what was the layering you were showing for your socks?
    I was wearing my thinny-thin socks under a newspaper plastic bag with Acorn fleece socks over top of the bag for insulation. That all fit down inside my shoes for around camp.

Quote Originally Posted by CB200T View Post
    Nice trip, could you post some pictures of your hammock suspension and explain it to me? I'm interested!
    I basically just used what SGT Rock uses in this thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=65003

I am still trying to decide whether or not I like the UCRs or not, but they held me on this trip down to 20F so I might just end up keeping them (I have my whoopies on stand by).
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    Thanks there, sir. I am using the Darn Tough Merino Wool No Show Mesh Sock. If I have to get my feet wet, I will, but I'd rather stay as dry as possible. If I get wet, I want to move faster than we were.
    I did bring a Montbell Ex Light Jacket. But I think that I would be warmer with the jacket along with a VBL. I will most likely make a cuben mitten that can be used over my fleece gloves or under a set of fleece mitts.

There is nothing quite like the southern Appalachians in the winter.
    Thanks! That Montbell looks like a very nice addition to the pack...is yours true to spec at about five and an half ounces?

Heard a lot about Darn Tough socks, but I've yet to see (or...if you had been wearing them on the FHT trip, I failed to notice ) them in person. Are they worth it for longer days in cool weather?

Looking forward to your cuben overmits!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast