Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Clark Flex 180 Mods: 2 Tree Use & JRB UQ

I own a Clark Flex 180 and absolutely love this hammock. It is very comfortable and roomy especially when there are (3) trees to hang it from. The problem becomes finding (3) trees that just happen to have the correct distance apart. Therefore I modified mine to incorporate an aluminum spreader bar that is used on the end that normally attaches to (2) trees so that it only requires (1) tree. This opens the interior to its full potential and comfort. In addition, I got tired of waiting for Clark to release an UQ and decided to purchase a JRB Mt Washington 3 UQ. As it turns out, the quilt fit the hammock almost perfectly with a few extra tie downs. Used it this past weekend on the AT and temperatures got down into the lower 30's and I was very warm. I think most of the mods are fairly self explanatory and can be seen in the below pictures and video. Happy to answer any question anyone may have regarding the setup.

Video of mods during my trip last weekend.
    http://youtu.be/ouc9wSwx20s
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice. Whats the weight with the spreader bar?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    In addition to wanting to know the weight, have you tried it with two people inside yet? Seems like you'd need a wider UQ if used with a second person. Thanks,

All I see is the evidence of a very creative mind at work. You for sure made lemonade, and sweet at that. Clark will probably wind up wanting to use this video. Assuming is admittedly dangerous, but that said, I assume you plan to only use it as a solo hammock, utilizing the space for gear and extra breathing room. Look forward to hearing how this continues to work for you. I also am interested in how the JRB Mt. Washington 3 performs in colder temps. Sweet job.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Very nice!!!!! You did a great job of tweeking to suit your needs.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Clark NX270 NX250, 2- Flex 180's
    Tarp
    Underground WD
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin 10 &20
    Suspension
    straps/cinch buckl
    Very nice , will be copying your bar config

That is if you give us the rights to do so as I do not want a lawsuit to develop!!! LOL!!!

Hammock
    Flex180, BMBH, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Spreader bar weight is 6.5 oz. However, I think I've figured out how to make my hiking pole work in place of the bar. I'll be working on that this weekend and will post the results.

Regarding two people, I have not tried that yet since making these mods. I don't think it would change my opinion though as I am not a fan of sleeping in that arrangement. Not so much because the other person makes it less comfortable in and of themself but because you must sleep on the sides of the hammock which places each person in more of a banana position. Similar to how you'd lay in a gathered end hammock but not being able to lay diagonal. When by myself, I can sleep diagonal or right in the middle which gives me a much flatter lay. Another advantage of the spreader bar is that since the two ropes come together before attaching to the tree, this allows the hammock to rotate at my feet end, allowing for yet an even flatter lay as compared to the stock setup. Essentially my feet are free to move closer to the ground due to the hammock rotating about an axis perpendicular to the ground. Somewhat hard to explain so I will post a picture when I follow up with my next update. For the record, I have slept over night with two people and we did sleep OK but just not as comfortable as a single person (better than the ground though) When by yourself, the extra room is very nice for storing my pack.
    Neo

Family, faith, & friends - all that really matters!

Hammock
    Flex180, BMBH, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Eightweight - by all means copy, copy, copy all you want. That was the purpose of the post, so that others would enjoy the mod as much as I do!
    Neo

Family, faith, & friends - all that really matters!

Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Wow Keith!

That set up really looks kool. You know I am going to have to see this first hand. Where did you get the spreader bar? I am wondering if one of the JRB split bars would fit.

Give me a call. It looks like I am rescheduling my trip for the weekend of the 17th. Maybe we can get a couple of hammocks in the air at the same time.

Tom

Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

JRB Spreader bar option

Keith,

I measured my spreader bars for the JRB system. They are a split bar system that would make it easier to get into your pack. When put together;

End to end put together - 32"
    From Notch to Notch - 31.25"
    Weight - 4 oz

I do not know what you had to have for the Flex 180 mod you did...but this gives you something to play with in your new design for this hammock. By the way, ingenious solution.

Jacks R Better has them on their website for $17. I do not know if that is for one set for one end of the hammock or a complete set for a hammock (which would be 4 pieces total). May have to call them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast