Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Not at all. In fact, it was probably one of the easiest transitions I've ever made. It helps that it simply makes sense. As for the open edges, I find that I move less under a quilt. The only time I've had any tangle or draft issues was when using a silk liner in a vain attempt to gain a few degrees of warmth. I'm convinced that it is the confinement (bag) that makes me toss and turn in my sleep. Take a blanket with you next time you go camping and see how it works for you; I think you'll be surprised.
    Good idea. I know that I thrash a lot at home too, but it could be that it won't be the issue I'm making it out to be. I was just hesitant to drop the money or a real quilt before knowing if it will work. Your suggestion to just take a blanket I already have is a good one. I'll just have to do it when I'm camping closer to the car and not doing a bunch of miles.

I use a jacks r better weather shield and have never had an issue with my uq getting wet even is some pretty wicked weather

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Good idea. I know that I thrash a lot at home too, but it could be that it won't be the issue I'm making it out to be. I was just hesitant to drop the money or a real quilt before knowing if it will work. Your suggestion to just take a blanket I already have is a good one. I'll just have to do it when I'm camping closer to the car and not doing a bunch of miles.
    Well, if push comes to shove, you can always follow the advice of DougTheElder and opt for the wide quilts that JRB sells. I think you'd have a difficult time getting out from under one of those on a cold night. Your brain doesn't want to be cold either....it'll keep you under those quilts.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Well, if push comes to shove, you can always follow the advice of DougTheElder and opt for the wide quilts that JRB sells. I think you'd have a difficult time getting out from under one of those on a cold night. Your brain doesn't want to be cold either....it'll keep you under those quilts.
    I haven't looked at the specs yet, but I am trying to keep my weight down. I'm already going to be packing heavier with a hammock than I was with a bivy, so to make this switch palatable I'm going to have to add weight gradually and hope my back doesn't notice

It could be that I won't have a problem with it anyway when I sleep in a hammock. If I'm comfortable I probably won't thrash as much. I think part of the reason I do it now is because I wake up so much in the middle of the night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    If I decide to do my cold weather camping in a hammock, I might end up with a setup like the peapod anyway, which would make it not a problem. If they fit the BB, that is.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    BillyBob has used his PeaPod on his BB with fair results if I remember correctly.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    hard to beat a torso uq, a short ccf leg pad that you should be carrying anyway, and a 48" wide tq as far as warmth-weight goes. the pea pod can be a light option too if you don't need to add additional top or bottom quilts. not sure about the pea pod fitting the blackbird very well though. i believe the snugfit does according to what i read here.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    First, in hundreds of wet hammock nights I've never wet a down UQ or TQ...That said I have had some minor dampness issues that were always cured with a few hours of use (body heat)

Good, light and cheap is a myth.... Pick any two only and there are many choices.... And everything is relative.... one persons reasonable figure is the next persons expensive.

For UQ at the same advertised temp ratings, down will be lighter, more compressible and more expensive (yet actual cost can be quite close in many cases).... If one really needs dry insurance ocassionally add a DDP w/WS Mod at 8 oz the Down UQ rated at 25-30* will be 21 oz or so and adding 8 brings it to 29oz which will be lighter and probably less bulk than the synthetic UQ rated 25-30*.... And in good season you can revert to just the down UQ....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Fear of getting my quilts wet is why my tarp is so big.

But so far I have gotten just a little (less than 5%?) of my sleeping bag wet, one time! The one time I used a pack cover.

I sort of beleve that wet insulation is a "Non issue" but there are many times that I live in a fantasy land, so, , , , , , , , ,
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Fear of getting my quilts wet is why my tarp is so big.

But so far I have gotten just a little (less than 5%?) of my sleeping bag wet, one time! The one time I used a pack cover.

I sort of beleve that wet insulation is a "Non issue" but there are many times that I live in a fantasy land, so, , , , , , , , ,
    To be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure just how big of an issue it is. Like I said, I've never had a down bag. I've got a couple of down jackets, but they've all got GTX shells.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast