Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I find my BBO to be effective in temps in the 20's and 30's in the fall. When I used it last winter however I had terrible condensation.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    I find my BBO to be effective in temps in the 20's and 30's in the fall. When I used it last winter however I had terrible condensation.
    Ive not gotten cold enough for that to be an issue,,, yet! But one thing I think would be nice is a way to increase ventilation just a bit without removing the BBO, or as I did this morning half remove it. I have thought about putting a over the face opening in mine, closed with Velcro.
    For mine at least, the only ventilation is THROUGH the fabric & a tiny opening where the tie out for the WBBB shelf is. Last year at Mt Rogers I did have condensation issues with my (less porous) hammock sock, the breathable fabric froze up, thereby clogging all the pores. Thankfully, the hammock sock was easily ventilated. I think this will be less of an issue with my BBO, but until I get the 17 degrees or so I had then, there is no way to tell
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    The BBO was designed for a spacious hammock-the BlackBird so I've never felt hemmed in with it on. I haven't gotten the 10-20F boost some have but I have confirmed with an inside/outside thermometer 7-9F boost and note that was using a tarp.
    BUT, and this is a small thing. Some of us don't use the tie-outs on the BlackBird..to use the BBO most effectively you need to use the tie-outs--no biggie, just something to know.
    Paul did an abs. amazing job fitting the BBO to the BlackBird! Paul must be an amazing guy?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Paul must be an amazing guy?
    I like to think so my wife might tell you another story, but that's none of any of yall's business

More over Fin did a great job working out all the heavy lifting on what became the BBO, we just polished it some

I have not read about anyone feeling claustrophobic in the BBO, though I know of one that got sold as the user preferred to be able to see out, and the BBO will restrict that ability. Warmth wise, I am fairly confident that most folks will get at minimum 5 degrees, and many will see 10 degrees more warmth with it on. Though some have reported well more than that. Functionally, like anything the conditions (temp, humidity, wind....so on) will play a big factor in things like the warmth retention and condensation. Wrong conditions and almost nothing will help, I have been out without a tarp and had the bugnet alone rain on me half the night from condensation. Venting the BBO can be done a couple ways to help with it. First option is to open the hammock zip a couple inches near your head where you mouth is to let in a little cool air so that the wet air your breathing out has a chance to mix a little. The other option is to set up the BBO as normal but then unhook the head end loops from the hammock, the BBO will pull down a bit until the wings of the BB hold it tight. That will open a 12+ inch vent just above your head. The BBO will still trap a good bit of heat, and will block most wind from getting into the hammock stealing warmth from your top insulation (as big a part of the design as the heat trapping) allowing the insulation to keep you warmer than if a breeze were stealing heat out of the loft.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Thanks for the info Paul & everyone else for your experiences with the BBO. It's an interesting piece of gear. I'm at home rehabbing from knee surgery, so I'm looking at new hammock gear and the BBO caught my eye. I don't usually do winter camping, but on early spring & fall trips it may come in handy. I'll give it some thought.
    KJ
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 11-22-2010 at 14:06. Reason: xx

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    That is one thing about Blackbirds and Blackbird accessories............they will sell!!!! I have the BBO and find it does not cause any problems with claustrophobia. If you are not experiencing any symptoms with the BB netting and a low slung tarp then you should have no issues with the BBO on the BB (YOMV!!!!).
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    I have not read about anyone feeling claustrophobic in the BBO, though I know of one that got sold as the user preferred to be able to see out, and the BBO will restrict that ability.
    So what your saying is you need to make one that is half clear plastic on the zipper side and breathable on the other to get the best of both.
    Last edited by tbctx; 11-22-2010 at 14:56. Reason: Messed up the Quoting

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    There you go.... BBO with a moon roof. How cool is that !!!!!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    IF you sleep cold, pound for pound a "Hammock sock" or similar cover like the BBO can mean the difference between being cold all night & sleeping the night away. The lower half of my "similar to a hammock sock" is a 1X by Molly Mac. Combined they add at least 20 - 30 degrees to my comfort level.
    Doctari,
    What you just described matches my theory of an efficient winter setup! Coming from an ultralight backpacking background, the giant tent/tarps I see make me wish for a lighter, smaller solution. Do you have pictures to post or a link if some are in the gallery?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Doctari,
    What you just described matches my theory of an efficient winter setup! Coming from an ultralight backpacking background, the giant tent/tarps I see make me wish for a lighter, smaller solution. Do you have pictures to post or a link if some are in the gallery?
    You can see a bit of it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwuKSl7esTo
    We tried to film it in use, but technical difficulties caused 1/2 of that part to "Go away"
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast